AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Movies

Movies Past, Current & Future

Old 10-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Katie Melua - Concert Under The Sea

I just finished watching Katie Melua - Concert Under The Sea. It is a combination documentary and concert. Katie was invited to perform a concert at 303 meters below sea level at the bottom of one of the legs on a gas platform off the coast of Norway on the 10th anniversary of the biggest man-made structure ever moved on earth. Katie and her band had to go through a rigorous safety training program before being flown by helicopter to the gas platform and performing this concert. It was filmed, and broadcast live all over Europe. This is a very interesting film on DVD. Katie and her band performed a great concert. Her and the band now hold the Guinness World Record for the deepest underwater concert ever performed. She is very talented, smart, likeable, and quite humble. I like her, and her music. I orderd my DVD from Amazon. You will enjoy this DVD.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-05-2009, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the tip Dan.

howie
Old 10-05-2009, 10:34 AM

Love all 3 of Katie's albums. Just ordered the DVD. Thanks Dan
Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Once you guys watch it, let me know what you think.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-05-2009, 01:21 PM

Dan,

Thanks for the tip on this...

Listening to her I Rhapsody right now, I really like it.

Can't wait to hear that beautiful voice with some TUBES!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:49 PM

I have all of her discs. I like the variety of her music.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Once you guys watch it, let me know what you think.
I just received the DVD and was awed by the technology and size of the oil platform. The photography was excellent. Also, she is absolutely adorable and talented as well. The DVD is 50% music and 50% oil platform and preparation for the concert which I really appreciated but, if one only wants the music, then consider this fact before you purchase it. Thank you Dan, I am very pleased to own it.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Howard......I am happy you enjoyed it. The look on Katie's face when they dropped the lifeboat into the water during training with her and her band all strapped in was priceless. I was also inpressed with the platform manager who played piano. He was an excellent musician in his own right, and when Katie had him play keyboards on one of her songs it was such a thrill for him, I'm sure. Katie Melua is a remarkable talent, who still has her head on straight, and a bright future ahead of her. I am looking forward to her next CD.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Against the Tide

High speed-No drag...

She sings impeccably in her sultry and innocent way - MOJO
One of the clearest sweetest voices around. Silky blend of folk, jazz and blues - The Sun
Katie Melua was born in Georgia (former USSR) in 1984, growing up under the communist regime in the capital, Tbilisi. The family left Georgia when Katie was eight and moved to Belfast where her father got a job as a heart surgeon. Katie didn’t always want to be a singer or songwriter. Her ambition when she was thirteen was to be a politician or a historian “I honestly thought I’d be able to bring peace to the world...if I ruled it!)” The family lived in Belfast for five years before moving to South East London. At sixteen, Katie joined the BRIT School for Performing Arts.
Composer/producer Mike Batt paid a visit to the school. Katie signed to Batt’s record label Dramatico, but stayed at the BRIT School to complete her studies where she graduated with distinction in July 2003.
Unable to secure a contract with a Major record company, Katie and Mike decided to put her album Call Off The Search (containing the song “The Closest Thing To Crazy”) out on Batt’s own, small record label. After an appearance on The Royal Variety Show, 19 year old Katie shot to the top of the UK album charts and became the biggest selling female artist for the next two years. Her two albums, (the second of which contained the hit “Nine Million Bicycles”) have sold more than 10 million copies to date. She and her family took British nationality in 2005. In December 2007, Katie topped the charts with a duet with her idol, the late Eva Cassidy, entitled “What A Wonderful World”, with proceeds from the single going to support the UK work of the British Red Cross.
The past years have been quite extraordinary for Katie (now 24). She has had a Dutch tulip named in her honor, met and played for Nelson Mandela in South Africa visiting his Aids charity, has become a hard working Ambassador for Save The Children, raced at 160mph around Grand Prix, flown a plane, learned to dive and parachute freefall, set a Guinness World Record for deepest underwater concert (19 miles under water on a gas rig in the North Sea), and picked up various prestigious awards within Europe, including a World Music Award, a Golden Camera Award, and two German Echo Awards.
Katie’s third studio album, Pictures, confirms Katie’s status as a unique and remarkable vocalist, and reveals the third chapter of what is destined to be a long musical career.
US Discography:

Pictures (May 5, 2009)
Piece By Piece (2006)
Call Off The Search (2004)