Sonus Faber Italy's Best

View Poll Results: Which?
BW 800 Diamonds 9 13.04%
SF Stradivari 60 86.96%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2014, 10:26 AM

Default Stradivari - Need help deciding on the speaker

Hello,

I am hoping that some can help me with this important decision of which speaker to get.

Just to give some background, I have been into this audiophile thing for about a decade now and I took a hiatus for the past 6 years. I got as far as Martin Logan Summits paired with a Cary 306/200 SS CDP, Cary SLP05 tube preamp, Plinius SA-102 SS Class A Amp. Then I sold it all.

I went back and was trying to re-accumulate the components to set up a new 2 channel audio system and after some pretty extensive auditioning, my list went from:

Wilson Sophia 3
Wilson Sasha 2
Wilson Alexia
Martin Logan Summit X
Martin Logan Montis
Magnepan 3.7, 20.7
BW 800 Diamonds
BW 802 Diamonds
Sonus Faber Olympica III
Sonus Faber Stradivari
Rockport Avior

And my list is now:
BW 800 Diamonds
Sonus Faber Stradivari

This is my problem, the SF Strad dealer is many miles away - I had to travel from Dallas, TX to Chicago, IL to audition my first and only pair. I did this 2 weeks ago.

When I heard the Strads, the reviews were right - Michael Fremer was right - it was a fantastic speaker. I would not say the last word in detail, but in terms of overall presentation (sound stage, emotional response, vocal prowess, center fill, density of images), it was superb. This was running on a full Chord system that is probably of similar caliber to my upcoming upstreams.

I also enjoy the BW 800 Diamonds, so much so that even after a direct A/B against Wilsons and Rockports, I still find them to be more accurate sounding and have a cleaner midrange (probably due to that Marlan head). It is also very revealing of the upstreams. Easily telling me if the source is subpar.

---

Now here is where I need help. Since I can't keep going back to the SF Dealer to A/B against the 800 Diamonds, or just to simply listen to the Strads....

... but in your experience, is the Strad a revealing speaker or does it simply sound good regardless of the components upstream? I don't really want a speaker that just sounds good regardless of what I have up top, I'd rather a speaker be revealing of the components I use. Say, I change a tube in my power amp or if I change the source, I'd like to be able to hear it. If a speaker has a certain flavor to it and regardless of the upstreams, it sounds the same, then perhaps it is too colored.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am afraid that I liked the sound of the Strad but don't know if it is a ruthlessly colored speaker or if it truly is a phenomenally sounding speaker that is still revealing and transparent to the source.

I'm not asking if the speaker is colored since I believe all speakers are colored... I'm asking if it is transparent enough.

Thanks! Hope someone can help me.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:30 AM

Also, I added a poll.

I will be adding pics also to help the visualization.

Of note, my system thus far is:

Source - to be determined, but likely Esoteric K01 or K03 or Cary 306 SACD Pro (used)
Preamp - Cary SLP-05 tube
Amp - Cary 211 Founders Edition tube PP monoblocks
Power - Dedicated 20 amp outlets

Dedicated carpeted, 2nd floor stereo room (completed) w/ treatments (in progress), approx 17' x 15'. Speakers will be positioned along the shorter wall probably 8' apart (tweeter to tweeter), and I will be sitting about 10' to 12' back (tweeter to ear).

Last edited by joey_v; 10-26-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:39 AM

And btw, I heard the Aidas in a/b listening - and kept going back to the Strads during my audition, if that helps you with an idea of what I like in audio reproduction. Aida's to me sounded a little bit more airy, but did not elicit the emotional response mainly because the presentation/staging was not to my liking as it was on the Strads (relatively).
Old 10-26-2014, 12:20 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
And btw, I heard the Aidas in a/b listening - and kept going back to the Strads during my audition, if that helps you with an idea of what I like in audio reproduction. Aida's to me sounded a little bit more airy, but did not elicit the emotional response mainly because the presentation/staging was not to my liking as it was on the Strads (relatively).
Clearly the Aida's were not set up properly.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-26-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Clearly the Aida's were not set up properly.
I knew you were going to say that.

I think they were set well. But I know they are very tweaky and have all those rear firing atmospheric elements, so I don't know for sure. But the dealer did have them in that same spot since they came and were installed. Room was good.

I'm not saying they sounded bad - they just didn't connect.

Or maybe I was just afraid to fall in love with a $120,000 pair of speakers. Hahaha... but they were gorgeous.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I knew you were going to say that.

I think they were set well. But I know they are very tweaky and have all those rear firing atmospheric elements, so I don't know for sure. But the dealer did have them in that same spot since they came and were installed. Room was good.

I'm not saying they sounded bad - they just didn't connect.

Or maybe I was just afraid to fall in love with a $120,000 pair of speakers. Hahaha... but they were gorgeous.
I own both the Strad's and Aida's which are set up correctly. The Strad's sound absolutely wonderful; however they are no where near comparable to the Aida's.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I own both the Strad's and Aida's which are set up correctly. The Strad's sound absolutely wonderful; however they are no where near comparable to the Aida's.
I have read and followed your posts... I know, Ivan.

Since you have had the Strads - did you find that they are transparent enough with changes you made upstream? You're probably one of the best to ask because of your extensive experience.

Flaws of the Strads?

Pros of the Strads?
Old 10-26-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I have read and followed your posts... I know, Ivan.

Since you have had the Strads - did you find that they are transparent enough with changes you made upstream? You're probably one of the best to ask because of your extensive experience.

Flaws of the Strads?

Pros of the Strads?
At the price point of the Strad's, I find them to be quite amazing. Yes, they are transparent enough to easily detect changes made upstream.

I find no flaws at all with the Strad's, clean used pairs can be found for $22-$25k.

Pro's speak for themselves; SF couldn't even improve upon them, hence no upgraded version since their introduction. You are welcome to visit me in the Cape, and hear them along with all my others.
CAPE COD

Old 10-26-2014, 03:32 PM

Ivan,

One day soon I will take you up on your offer.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Ivan, One day soon I will take you up on your offer.
do it

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-863769253.jpg (16.4 KB, 50 views)
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack