AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 02-13-2014, 05:58 PM

Default OLYMPICA III or ELIPSA ?

Dear friends,

For a tiny listening room, tube amp., and only listening jazz, wich of these two SF do you recommend me ? And please, For what reason ?

Thank`s in advance

Last edited by Masterlu; 02-17-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Title typo ;)
Old 02-13-2014, 06:12 PM

I forgot to say, actually I own a pair of Dynaudio 1.8 mk II Contour speakers.

Thank´s again.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:33 PM

Elipsa Red
Ansuz DTC Power Distributor, DTC Power Cables, D2 Speakers and Interconnect cables, DTC Power Box
Old 02-13-2014, 08:28 PM
George

Default Tiny Room

Olympica III. They have a much smaller presence. The wider than deep profile of the Elipsa would be a little big in a small room. Also, the technology of the Olympica 3 is newer, I wouldn't be surprised if that is a plus. I must admit I like the color of the Elipsa better. I have had the carbon black and the wood O3, I actually like the black better, but the walnut color fit my house better.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:29 PM

Why not go to a dealer and listen to both and make your own decision which is really the one that counts the most. I have the SF Elipsa as well as the SF Guarneri Memento and love both for different reasons and purposes. What kind of music do you listen to ? What kind of room are you going to be putting the speakers in ? What is your budget ?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmarosa View Post
Dear friends,

For a tiny listening room, tube amp., and only listening jazz, wich of these two SF do you recommend me ? And please, For what reason ?

Thank`s in advance
You should provide more information so we can help little better. What kind of tube amp ? What power ? Room size ? Rest of gears? Budget ?

If you are using tune amp only then I would recommend the whichever more efficient speakers is.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:37 AM

I've never heard the Olympica myself but from experience with the Cremona and feedback from friends, the Elipsa Red/SE is the better choice.

I've compared closely the Cremona and the Elipsa when I bought them (you can find my detailed experience if you search here). The Elipsa made you forget everything about the Cremona. I was initially going to buy the Cremona and tried to the Elipsa out of curiosity. I ended up paying a much larger check than initially planned!

Regarding George comment, the Elipsa SE is a new speaker which have the tweeter of the Strad and improved internals. Speaker technology doesn't move that fast that the Olympica would made them obsolete.

I never had an issue with placement and I find the Elipsa quite easy to setup. They're not that wide and since they're not so deep, they don't stick out of the room and they actually have a lower footprint. As with other SF, there is no wrong placement. You could throw them randomly in a room and they'd sound good. But if you spend time placing them, you get pure bliss.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 AM

In a tiny listening room, I wouldn't get either of them because the bass will be out of control.

Tube amp, listening to jazz - I'd get a Guarneri (any of them). If your tube amp could drive the Dynaudio, then it will be fine. If you don't want a stand mount, I would get an Olympica II for a tiny room.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
In a tiny listening room, I wouldn't get either of them because the bass will be out of control. Tube amp, listening to jazz - I'd get a Guarneri (any of them). If your tube amp could drive the Dynaudio, then it will be fine. If you don't want a stand mount, I would get an Olympica II for a tiny room.
Salut Glisse

It depends on your definition of tiny room and the OP meaning of tiny room. I've listened to them in a room that must have been smaller than 15m2 and bass wasn't an issue.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:07 PM

Too much bass is a great problem to have... Id rather have that than no bass

I had a chance to demo the Olym3's in my home and they are fantastic... not the ultimate in detail but they have a very wide and enveloping sound, you wont miss anything here. I have no experience with the Elipsa but would imagine them to be even better.

Last edited by dznutz; 02-14-2014 at 04:10 PM.