AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 04-08-2017, 12:40 PM

I especially liked this part of his conclusion:

Quote:
Having abandoned keeping to the Sampling Theorem, the results become a matter of subjective opinion, and the creator of the individual MQA file or stream may have some control over this judgement. It then becomes a question of whether each listener likes the result or not. In some ways the creator of an MQA file is placed in the position of being a ‘magician’ who has to know how to get the best sound from an existing recording. Unfortunately, the music business has a mixed track record in such matters. For example, the tendency to equate ‘good’ sound with ‘sells well’ which has led to many Audio CDs being level compressed and clipped to be LOUD on the basis that this ‘sells more CDs’.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:20 PM

Dan,

Thank you for the link to Jim Lesurf's article.

Although I haven't researched the matter to any great extent, and some of it is beyond me, it is the best detailed explanation of the MQA process I've yet read.

It provides a clear explanation of the type of artifacts that are created when the so called MQA "folding" and "unfolding" is applied to the original file.

As mentioned in the article, it is a subjective cure that may or may not be preferred by a given listener.

For my part, I was able to experiment with a high end MQA DAC for an extended period of time. At first, as in other cases before, I was enamored by the change. But after going back and carefully comparing it over an extended period to my long standing reference DAC, I found the latter preferable.

The preference for my reference DAC could have been due because my reference DAC was superior to the MQA DAC regardless, or because the MQA processing added unfavorable processing, or both. But in either case, I'm on the MQA sidelines for now.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Carlos.......To use Tony's comment from his earlier post, "I was an early adopter when I was younger, I'm less interested in being one at this stage in my audio journey." That sums it up for me, too. I'm not in a wait and see mode. At this time in my audio journey, and it has been a long and expensive one, I am enjoying the best sound reproduction in my home I have ever experienced. I simply don't find myself excited in the least about another format or hardware upgrade with purported audible improvements that are subjective at best. I am not an MQA hater, just someone who doesn't see a need for a complicated, multilevel solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. My hopes are centered on the future providing unadulterated high-res streaming.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-09-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:32 PM

Default MQA Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Carlos.......To use Tony's comment from his earlier post, "I was an early adopter when I was younger, I'm less interested in being one at this stage in my audio journey." That sums it up for me, too. I'm not in a wait and see mode. At this time in my audio journey, and it has been a long and expensive one, I am enjoying the best sound reproduction in my home I have ever experienced. I simply don't find myself excited in the least about another format or hardware upgrade with purported audible improvements that are subjective at best. I am not an MQA hater, just someone who doesn't see a need for a complicated, multilevel solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. My hopes are centered on the future providing unadulterated high-res streaming.

Thumbs up Dan!

From an old timer who still doesn't use graphical emoticons ... well not often anyway

Last edited by jdandy; 04-09-2017 at 09:38 PM. Reason: correct typo in quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Here is an interesting article by Dr. Jim Lesurfs: MQA or “There and back again”

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/MQA/origa...reAndBack.html
Thanks for this Dan -enlightening stuff! Or at least clarifying.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
Dan,

Thank you for the link to Jim Lesurf's article.

Although I haven't researched the matter to any great extent, and some of it is beyond me, it is the best detailed explanation of the MQA process I've yet read.

It provides a clear explanation of the type of artifacts that are created when the so called MQA "folding" and "unfolding" is applied to the original file.

As mentioned in the article, it is a subjective cure that may or may not be preferred by a given listener.

For my part, I was able to experiment with a high end MQA DAC for an extended period of time. At first, as in other cases before, I was enamored by the change. But after going back and carefully comparing it over an extended period to my long standing reference DAC, I found the latter preferable.

The preference for my reference DAC could have been due because my reference DAC was superior to the MQA DAC regardless, or because the MQA processing added unfavorable processing, or both. But in either case, I'm on the MQA sidelines for now.

Thanks for sharing. Would you mind telling us which are the two DACs that you compared?
Old 04-09-2017, 09:28 AM

Hi nicoff,

The Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC and a Meridian MQA DAC.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:55 PM

Jim?
Old 04-09-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
Hi nicoff,

The Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC and a Meridian MQA DAC.

Curious which Meridian DAC. 808v6, 818, Ultra, Prime, explorer??

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 04-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
Curious which Meridian DAC. 808v6, 818, Ultra, Prime, explorer??

Ultra