AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Formerly Gaucho1

Maybe my Preamp is telling me it wants a Tuner!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Finally with the tonearm without any cartridge mounted -- do you have hum??
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Formerly Gaucho1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
Finally with the tonearm without any cartridge mounted -- do you have hum??
Yes.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:00 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho1 View Post
Yes.
It's not the Denon cartridge then.

What ocurrs when the TT AC plug is run via an extension cord to somewhere else in the house (out of the current room and away from your current AC connections)?

Do you have an extra set of cables to run from the TT to the preamp??

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:13 AM
Formerly Gaucho1

I Moved the TT to about 8ft away and ran some 15Ft cables and an extra long ground cable back to the preamp. That was the first time I heard the radio station. The TT was plugged into an outlet on another circuit.

In that setup, once I unplugged the PS the hum went away. That led me to believe that it may have been the PS. Today after talking to kevin from KAB I hooked it back up the way it was originally when the noise occurred. I plugged in the TT directly to the wall and my Richard Gray bypassing the PS-1200 and I still have hum/noise on the MC input and only in the left channel. As I said above, the unit doesnt have to be plugged in to have hum. And if I move the Left and Right input around it follows the channel: meaning if I plug the right phono output into the right phono output, it will follow. This leads me to believe that my preamp is not the source.

Weird. I may give up on this one.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Just Pure Lucky

I've read hundreds of hum threads and only 1 or maybe 2 someone was able to help the affected issue. It's something that makes one scratch their head and say 'how did that" cause the issue.

I'd call Kevin back and see if he can come up with something.

One final question -- you said, with no cartridge mounted, the hum remains. So, does the hum go away then when the original cartridge is mounted?

Bob
Old 11-24-2010, 12:36 PM

Check the cables from where they plug in to the cartridge to the RCA end that connects to the preamp with an ohm meter. You will find your answer.

Thanks,
Old 11-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Sound Engineering

Sounds like a broken wire, or broken connection to ground on the left input. Check wire integrity with an ohmmeter. Plug in a shorted RCA jack into the socket to test for a broken ground - the hum will be there, getting stronger when you touch the shell of the RCA plug.

Another reason could be the grounding tab on the cartridge - is it there?