AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 AM

I think it might be wortwhile those AA members, who are waiting for a solution, got together and wrote a letter to the CEO of McIntosh and present him the letter as a group. I am quite confident that this would provide a rather quick answer and an explanation of what the current situation is and when a firm fix will be provided.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkz View Post
I thought they tested everything they send out?
That does not mean they test it with every different configuration of amp they send out.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-3G View Post
Okay, I understand that shit happens sometimes, but along with their test team their PR and customer support team suck also.

I'm talking about COMMUNICATION - this is PR/customer support 101. People aren't angry for the design flaw (unintentional), but people are upset about your lack of communication (intentional).
T-3G.......In defense of McIntosh Customer Support, these are good people who come to work each week day trying to do the best they can with what they have to work with. They don't make corporate policy, they follow it. You know the drill. It is easy to misdiagnose the problem as centering around Customer Service, and then want to vent at individuals who have nothing to do it. Our problem is just one of many that are heaped on the Customer Service folks everyday. To us, our problem is top priority, and rightfully so, but the Customer Service department isn't the problem. It is upstream from these people where the decisions are made on how to deal with problems like the MEN220 balanced output flaw, so beating up on the people who handle Customer Service isn't the answer. They are restricted to doing what they are told to do. Most of the time they are able to help, but concerning the MEN220 issue they are the messengers, doing the best they can with the information they are provided.

Having said all that, I agree that the corporate level failure to communicate with MEN220 customers is an inconsiderate, and arrogant position to take, especially since MEN220 buyers are not first time McIntosh customers buying this component on a whim. Most are serious investors in McIntosh audio components, and the MEN220 was added to an already top notch McIntosh setup. In other words, these are loyal, long time McIntosh customers. The intentional disrespect for these customer's legitimate concerns about a design flaw in a $4500.00 audio component is inexcusable, in my opinion. That is the real issue that has me irritated. We should not be left holding a flawed product with no idea about when or how it will be corrected.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-01-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Vintage listener

I have to admit I am starting to wonder. I believe that McIntosh is a quality company and will, in time, get this issue resolved, but they could save us all some irritation by just telling us what is going to happen.

Doesn't common courtesy apply to corporations?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:59 AM

Dan, your point is well taken.

However, this is a real test for McIntosh. I don't know how the decisions are made at McIntosh, but where I work the job of the head of the PR or customer support department are to figure out:

1. The right thing to do for the customer
2. The best thing for the company
3. Come up with a "Make Good Plan"
4. Fight the "wrong" decisions made by the upper management

If they're just doing whatever they were told by the management, the management really doesn't have any reasons to hire them in the first place. PR/customer support are responsible for customer retention. If they are fighting with the management, well, I must give them credit for that, but as a customer I want to support them by giving them more ammunition by being "loud" on this forum.

I hope you get my point, I'm not bashing, I'm merely telling them to DO THE RIGHT THING (communicate!).
Old 11-01-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Sal.......I would not want a known defect to exist in my MEN220 even if it did not cause an overheating issue with my balanced amps. What if I want to sell it, and the next owner has the problem. He is going to be most unhappy with me for selling him a defective MEN220. McIntosh needs to fix every single defective MEN220.
I 100% agree... Not to beat a dead horse, but honestly I still think that returning the defective units may still be the best way to partially fix this perticular problem.. Perhaps it would help Mcintosh learn not to take it's customers for granted? or at least encourage more communication in the future?

Round one to Chuck.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:10 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
I 100% agree... Not to beat a dead horse, but honestly I still think that returning the defective units may still be the best way to partially fix this perticular problem.. Perhaps it would help Mcintosh learn not to take it's customers for granted? or at least encourage more communication in the future?
How would you return the units when the dealer's have already paid McIntosh?
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 AM

It seems to me that the "few" MEN220 users experiencing the problem are taking a back burner to the roll out of new products, more new products to come and opening the new sales channel through Best Buy. When I asked about a similar situation at Mercedes in the early 90's, I was told at the factory that the new focus was on increasing unit sales. The loyal customers will be attended to "in due course". Probably the only option is to start returning them to McIntosh. Everyone here having the problem will have to call the factory to get an RMA # by telling MAC Customer Support that their unit is causing an overheating problem that you are afraid could cause a fire hazard. When they hear that, they should take it in and fix it. Unfortunately, you may be without your unit for 3 months as it works it way through the service que.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:28 PM

Has anyone compared the MEN220 to the Bryston Crossovers? Bryston makes both the subwoofer version and a standard active crossover that you can set the crossover points. Unless Bryston has made changes, their crossovers are work at the analogue level. It seems the MED220 converts the signal back to digital processes it and then reconverts it to analogue to send to the Amplifiers. Does that defeat part of what we do in getting stable transports, great DAC's, etc. As you know, the software is designed to drop any perceived errors. The CD format already compresses much of the music away. It would be nice not to lose more to redundant conversions. I have used the Infinity Crossover/Servo that came with my IRS V's, the NHT sub crossover, a dbx crossover, an Ashley crossover, the Bryston, and have heard the Krell. The Krell is no longer available but was probably the best. The Bryston seems a close second.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Default How many more threads on this -- a weekly affair??

A new week has passed and yet another MEN220 defective thread.

According to McIntosh a dealer bulletin was sent out recently concerning repairs to those affected units and it basically states in so many words, that repairs will need to be made at the factory & are being held up by lack of parts & therefore RMA's are not being generated until parts are in house and at that time McIntosh will generate dealer notices to initiate RMA procedures.

McIntosh does not want to initate RMA processes on the MEN220's until those parts are, like I mentioned, available and repairs performed. McIntosh does not want to have units sitting around the factory floor awaiting parts for an extended period of time.

Once the parts are in, they want units returned, repaired immediately & shipped back out. Makes sense.

One thing that one can do to possibly help the factory identify users with MEN220's is to register their unit (on line). Right now, of the units sold in the USA, less than 20 have been registered (on line). If your unit isn't registered, doesn't mean it won't be repaired, it just means their is no correlation between the unit and the owner for possible "factory > user" notification down the road should that correlation be needed.

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.