AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 12-18-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Yes and no. You can use two digital inputs at the same time as long as they are not both of the same type. You cannot use two HDMI channels at the same time, but you can use two inputs simultaneously if one is DIGITAL (or analog) and the other is HDMI (for video only). To allow that you need to set HDMI INPUT = STICKY option in MISCELLANEOUS menu. Unlock hidden screens with ZONE, DVD and TAPE key pressing sequence to get to that screen.

With the STICKY setup enabled, you can first select HDMI on lets say DVD, then switch over to CD source with DIGITAL for sound. DVD with HDMI will still stay on, continuing playing passing-through video while audio would come from the CD source.

Stan
Thank you. Just to be clear...

Are you saying I CANNOT watch a Bluray using one HDMI input for audio and another HDMI input for video?

Thank you for your patience. I realize this will all be easier to figure out once my SP3 actually arrives....
Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Thank you. Just to be clear...

Are you saying I CANNOT watch a Bluray using one HDMI input for audio and another HDMI input for video?

Thank you for your patience. I realize this will all be easier to figure out once my SP3 actually arrives....
True! But he can use spdif or toslink for audio and hdmi for video at the same time. Alternatively, if a player has two hdmi outputs and the TV screen has two hdmi inputs, he can connect one output directly to a TV screen and the second one through SP3.

It is not easy to circumvent this, because an hdmi router that SP3 is using is a 1 to 8 input switch. Only one input can be activated at a time.

I think it is much easier to use spdif or analog for audio because there is no handshaking issue and switching is faster, although only 2 channel sources (like BDP-1) can be sent uncompressed through spdif. Multichannel spdif requires a compressed format. Since Oppo has got a good quality analog 7.1 outputs then that can perhaps be used, using BP71 source selection in the SP3?

Stan
Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
True! But he can use spdif or toslink for audio and hdmi for video at the same time. Alternatively, if a player has two hdmi outputs and the TV screen has two hdmi inputs, he can connect one output directly to a TV screen and the second one through SP3.

It is not easy to circumvent this, because an hdmi router that SP3 is using is a 1 to 8 input switch. Only one input can be activated at a time.

I think it is much easier to use spdif or analog for audio because there is no handshaking issue and switching is faster, although only 2 channel sources (like BDP-1) can be sent uncompressed through spdif. Multichannel spdif requires a compressed format. Since Oppo has got a good quality analog 7.1 outputs then that can perhaps be used, using BP71 source selection in the SP3?

Stan
Actually I am trying to go all digital from the oppo to the SP3, as I have the OPPO 103 which does not have as good an analog section. I want to use the great DACs in the SP3, and lose the rat's nest of analog cables I currently use between my Marantz UD9004 and Parasounf Halo P7.

I'd hate to think I'm actually going to take a step BACK in sound quality by going to Bryston.

But I don't think that will be the case. I'll send one HDMI to the SP3, and one to the TV directly if I must. I just don't know why a high end unit like the SP3 can't assign two HDMI inputs at the same time. Any chance this can be done in the future with a firmware update?

I certainly don't want to settle for a compressed spdif audio format, when I have a darn good setup now. I'm upgrading so I can get digital inputs for my satellite dvr which has been limping allong on crappy 2 channel since my Nuforce AVP17 crapped out on me. So the stepup to the SP3 is for three separate purposes.

1 Get surround sound for satellite/TV viewing.

2 eliminate multiple analog cables between player and processor.

3 Get a hopefully LARGE step up in audio quality.

I could also add

4 replace the brilliant but flaky Marantz UD9004 with the supposedly VERY reliable OPPO, whose digital outputs should make it as good a transport player as anything out there. Why pay for high end DACs in the player when you have them already in the SP3?

Anyway, I'm confident I can make it all work.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Hoping my SP3 and BDP1 get here this week. James, both of the two players I may be using allow separate audio on video on two different HDMI outputs. Can I configure the SP3 to accommodate that? IOW, one HDMI input for Audio, one for video?

Thanks
Why would you want to? The separate outputs are there to accommodate those who feed a display directly.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Why would you want to? The separate outputs are there to accommodate those who feed a display directly.
Only to keep the signals separate, if that helps in any way. If not, no big deal. I've only used HDMI for video before now, so I'm just not familiar with how well it works carrying both signals.

If carrying video and audio from the Marantz UD9004 or the Oppo 103 on one HDMI works just as well as carrying it on two separate cables, I guess I'm that much better off.

What is your experience? Your review in Stereophile was a major factor in my decision to purchase the SP3.

(Which incidentally, just shipped today ) .
Old 12-19-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Only to keep the signals separate, if that helps in any way. If not, no big deal. I've only used HDMI for video before now, so I'm just not familiar with how well it works carrying both signals.

If carrying video and audio from the Marantz UD9004 or the Oppo 103 on one HDMI works just as well as carrying it on two separate cables, I guess I'm that much better off.

What is your experience? Your review in Stereophile was a major factor in my decision to purchase the SP3.

(Which incidentally, just shipped today ) .
HDMI always carries video even if it is a blank/black screen image. There is no valid reason to use separate HDMIs for video and audio. That is not to say that an audio-only (HD, mch) interface would not be nice but there is none currently available.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:16 PM

Thank you, Kal.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:36 PM

Hey, Kal

While we're (sort of) on the subject. Do you have any thoughts on the question of whether all HDMI outputs will sound pretty much the same, assuming they're going into the same input/system.

In my case, that would be HDMI output from either the existing Marantz UD9004, or the Oppo 103, into my soon to arrive SP3?

IOW, is there any secret sauce for HDMI output like there is in different DACs and associated circuitry?

I appreciate your participation and help in forums like these for those of us less versed in these matters.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:15 AM

Default Bryston has landed!!

My SP3 arrived late yesterday. Had to make a quick trip into the big city--Albuquerque-- during holiday shopping rush hour to get it. Got home and started the process of getting it hooked up.

I've done this with several other units, so this one was pretty easy, once I learned how to navigate the menus. Also, because my main reason for this upgrade was to be able to use my player as a transport only, I had a lot less cables to hook up, a blessing because it's difficult to get to the back of my equipment.

Well, when I first turned everything on and loaded up some Allison Krauss, I heard the blessed sound of...... silence! No joy. I tried hooking up my Dish DVR by first HDMI, then toslink, and still the sound of silence. I read and reread the manual, fiddled with the menu, and played with the menus for both the DVR and my player. Still no go.

One of the problems, I was convinced, was my Marantz UD9004, a brilliant but finicky universal player, whose manual, I am convinced, was translated into English with Babelfish. It sounds fabulous, but balks at nearly half of the Netflix Blu-rays we throw at it. Same with the ones we try to play in it. Anyway, soon as I'm convinced that the digital to analog conversion in the SP3 is as good as or better than the Marantz--I'm pretty sure it will be-- I'll hook up the OPPO 103 sitting here in a box and use it as my transport for movies and multichannel music, and sell the Marantz. Meanwhile I have a BDP-1 coming in soon to take over the 2 channel chores.

But I digress.....

I finally gave up and went to bed. I wasn't really discouraged. I've been here before. It's usually user error. That would be yours truly. Plus, after seeing how well James and the rest of Bryston take care of their customers, I really wasn't worried. So this afternoon, after the Broncos KICKED ASS--sorry, Cleveland-- I went back to work.

At some point I figured if all else fails, reboot. So I unplugged, waited a couple of minutes and plugged back in. Voila!! A joyful noise. Some more time spent figuring out some menu items, (how to get 2 channel + sub from the HDMI connection?--answer: the "surround mode" buttons, select "pass thru 2/0.1").
Very happy, now.

So, what are my first impressions? Just what I hoped for. Simpler, easier hook up with less wire, and sound that is clearer, cleaner, punchier, and better defined than what I had before, which was pretty damn good. And this with all of two hours on it!

The bad? Well, when they grab all our guns, I can use the remote as a weapon, which is about all it's good for. And where's the "save" button on the remote? My eyes aren't THAT bad. Are they? But not to worry. My Harmony One will come to the rescue, I am sure.

All in all, folks, this seems to be a really great unit. Happy to join the Bryston family.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, everyone!!

Postscript: Just as I was about to post this, some horrible sounding hash noise has intruded on Sara K. Probably the player--though I've never heard this before, but I'll investigate and keep everyone posted.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:58 AM

Great to hear your story moon hawk.

Hope you enjoy it well.
Could I ask what were you using before Sp3.
I am thinking about sp3.
Weakest link in my system (I believe ) is Anthem MRx 700 which I am using as Pre with Anthem Power amp P2.
My speakers paradigm sig 8.
Rear pioneer Tad s2ex.
Source oppo 95 Mod umbilical and analogue section by Dan wright .(mod instrument)
Apple TV.
I have recent bought a bryston Amp (used )
14bsst2-it will be delivered in feb 2013.
I don't know if that's going make much difference .
Pls advise.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado