AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Music Provides Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu

DAC-O-Rama!
Tis the season!

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Against the Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Brian...what have you pulled the trigger on so far and what are your thoughts on the DACs? Curious to see what you have tried out...thx
Recently sold the MDA1000. Was waiting for the MDA1100. With so many new DAC's becoming available, have decided to pass on the MCD1100 and wait to see what McIntosh comes out with as far as replacements for the C1000/C500/MCD301/MCD500.

Have had-
Music Hall 25.2
Emotiva XDA-1
Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2
PS Audio PerfectWave DAC-on order
Interested in and will most likely purchase-
Berkeley Alpha DAC
Weiss DAC 202
Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 PM
From the BAT cave ...

What was your take on the W4S DAC-2?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:02 PM

There seems to be a lot of PS Audio Perfectwave Transport and DACs on Agon for some reason. But it certainly has gotten good reviews. Let us know what you think. The Weiss DAC 202 is another one that has gotten rave reviews. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on their respective sound signatures. Good luck and enjoy the new toys.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Against the Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
What was your take on the W4S DAC-2?
Plenty of reviews on it. I used it direct to the amps and put about 500 hours on it. It was nice, but as with all gear-need to try it in your system to really find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
There seems to be a lot of PS Audio Perfectwave Transport and DACs on Agon for some reason. But it certainly has gotten good reviews. Let us know what you think. The Weiss DAC 202 is another one that has gotten rave reviews. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on their respective sound signatures. Good luck and enjoy the new toys.
Thanks!

A lot of those listings are Dealers. Will say that they are currently back ordered in black.

Will also say that if the Berkeley Alpha DAC is available now in black...plan B may go into effect.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:09 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Brian, thanks. I have read the reviews. I was curious about a real world assessment. I have ESS Saber32-bit DACs in my Oppo and I think they come in third behind my BAT CD player and my modded Perpetual Technologies DAC (both much older). I was curious whether the implementation in the DAC-2 was pleasing. But, of course you are correct, I really have to listen to it. I just could not resist asking someone who had cycled through so many DACs recently.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Against the Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Brian, thanks. I have read the reviews. I was curious about a real world assessment. I have ESS Saber32-bit DACs in my Oppo and I think they come in third behind my BAT CD player and my modded Perpetual Technologies DAC (both much older). I was curious whether the implementation in the DAC-2 was pleasing. But, of course you are correct, I really have to listen to it. I just could not resist asking someone who had cycled through so many DACs recently.
You Bet!...

Had the Perpetual Technologies DAC and power supply for 3 to 4 years...very nice DAC.

Not the duty expert, but it is also interesting to try out different digital cables to hear the changes.

Just when you thought it was safe to get out of the water...
Old 04-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Music Provides Joy

Hrm... reading more and more about this Berkeley DAC + Berkeley USB->AES asynchronous converter would be interesting..

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Music Provides Joy

any more interest here?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:10 AM

Indeed there is, my Alpha DAC sounds great, I can't wait to try the USB->AES asynchronous converter.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.