AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:34 PM

Default Mark Waldrep AIX Records HD Audio Challenge II

Those of you familiar with Mark Waldrep from AIX Records, , AKA Dr. AIX, might be familiar with his HD Audio Challenges.

Mark did the Challenge I over the summer of 2018 with 6 audio files, now he has just started the HD Audio Challenge II. So I thought I would post it here for those who might want to have some fun participating.

He has "taken the native 96 kHz/24-bit PCM masters and down-converted them to 96 kHz/16-bit, 44.1 kHz/24-bits, and 44.1 kHz/16-bits (CD “Redbook” spec). Then he converted all of down-conversions back to 96 kHz/24-bits so that all of them are precisely the same size, he has been very careful to ensure that they are the same volume."

If you go to the bottom of the page linked at the bottom of this post, you will see details of the Challenge II, and a spot where you can sign up to receive a link from Mark to download all of the files. He currently has about 500 of us who have downloaded the files, and are in the process of trying to see if we can hear a difference between the 2 recordings of each song. He also has a form on his web page that, after listening, you can fill out and choose which of the 2 sections you thought was the better quality. He would like to get 1000 or more participants.

He has / will be send updates as the Challenge moves along, and will eventually make the results available to us.

Enjoy!

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6713

or

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6749
B&W 802 D3 | McIntosh C500T | McIntosh MC601 | McIntosh MEN220 | McIntosh MPC500 | Oppo BDP-105 | AQ Fire XLRs | AQ NRG-1000 Power Cords | AQ Diamond Ethernet Cables | Straightwire Virtuoso H speaker cables
Old 11-29-2019, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the post.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-29-2019, 07:41 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Whom Can You Trust

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6345
Old 11-30-2019, 10:35 AM

......................it appears Mark "Dr. AIX" Waldrep, Ph.D. is not a fan favorite here.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-30-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
......................it appears Mark "Dr. AIX" Waldrep, Ph.D. is not a fan favorite here.

Ron
He is well respected and to me, a voice of reason and an approach grounded in fundamentals. Count 1 fan here.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
He is well respected and to me, a voice of reason and an approach grounded in fundamentals. Count 1 fan here.
He is a straight-shooter. However, I am not sure how valid his challege test will be. Participants already know there will be two versions of each song. Consequently, they will be listening intently trying to hear a difference. Many will expect a difference whether there is one or not. When not sure, some will just guess.

Different audio gear and listening environment.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:01 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post

Ron

He's not a fan of MQA.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
He's not a fan of MQA.
To say the least.....................this audio stuff is a hobby for many, but don't forget it's also big business for some.

Ron

Last edited by Poppyhome; 11-30-2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-30-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
He's not a fan of MQA.
Smart man...
Old 12-01-2019, 01:24 PM

I encourage others to sign up and try the challenge. It's interesting and the music is good.

There are 20 songs with 2 versions each. The original master is the 96/24 PCM 2-channel stereo mix. The other one is a downconversion to 44.1/16-bits which was then put into a 96/24 bucket.

As of now, I’m having a hard time telling any listening difference, using my PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II streaming Roon, or bypassing Roon and using mconnect Control.

Ron