AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:44 PM

Default Help selecting a streamer?

Have the luxury of building out a second system in the office/den. In addition to turntable, would like to access Tidal. I currently use an Aurender N100 in my main system, and it's great.

If I don't need access to my personal digital library (streaming only), what products should I be looking at? Would like something at least comparable to the SQ of the Aurender, if not better?

Thanks in advance for any tips. Will have a DAC to use, so just need the streamer.

Cheers

Matt
Old 10-24-2019, 05:20 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lane View Post
Have the luxury of building out a second system in the office/den. In addition to turntable, would like to access Tidal. I currently use an Aurender N100 in my main system, and it's great.

If I don't need access to my personal digital library (streaming only), what products should I be looking at? Would like something at least comparable to the SQ of the Aurender, if not better?

Thanks in advance for any tips. Will have a DAC to use, so just need the streamer.

Cheers

Matt
If you don't require Wifi connectivity and can use either Ethernet or optical fiber, I'd recommend the SOtM UltraNeo for $1200. The sound quality from this is very high.

I have one and I like it very much, the sound quality from it is exceptional. It also have a very good clock in it.

Check out Hans Beekhuizen's review here: https://youtu.be/uADNLgJ3tSA
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-24-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:54 PM

What's your budget?
Old 10-24-2019, 07:09 PM

dCS Network Bridge. Great reviews and I have one on the way. Will report back
Old 10-25-2019, 01:12 PM

Thanks guys - still trying to figure this out (understand technically what I really need).

Budget is 'low as possible' +/- $1K?

Silly question, but my main system has the Aurender, which I run off my Ipad. The Aurender has a single USB out (only), into my DAC. Is there any way or reason I cannot split the USB out from the Aurender, and have a second USB cable routed upstairs into the room for the second system? I am happy with the Conductor app/TIDAL integration, so wondering if in fact I need a new component after all?

In any case, minus the local storage which I am willing to give up, I would like an all-in-one solution that can be run much like the Aurender. I don't want to have to run a computer to do this.

Thanks for the advice and ideas.

Cheers

Matt
Old 10-25-2019, 02:07 PM
Life is beautiful

If you want very decent, for very cheap: Yamaha MusicCast NP-S303.

300€.

Bluetooth, Airplay, streaming services, internet radio.
Cable or wireless.
Has a DAC onboard, but connect it with coax to a good external DAC and you won't believe your ears.
My wife has one in her system. It did a couple of months service in our main system.

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 10-25-2019, 03:17 PM

If your DAC has ethernet connectivity then you could try something like a i5 from Small Green Computer. Then all connections are via ethernet to your network.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:06 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Bart's suggestion is a good one.

There's also the Sony HAP-S1, just under $1K.

There's also the Cambridge Audio CXN V2...$900. Provides support for Tidal and you can output to an external DAC or use the built-in DAC.

Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-25-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:23 PM

Thanks guys, I will look into each of these. My current thought is to move the K-03 (which has a bunch of inputs) to the second system and use that as DAC.

Would probably then replace the DAC in the main system with a Yggy, based on reviews, sounds like could be an improvement.

Thanks again for the great suggestions. Will research and get back with any questions.

Cheers

Matt
Old 10-26-2019, 05:39 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
If you want very decent, for very cheap: Yamaha MusicCast NP-S303.
300€.
Bluetooth, Airplay, streaming services, internet radio.
Cable or wireless.
Has a DAC onboard, but connect it with coax to a good external DAC and you won't believe your ears.
My wife has one in her system. It did a couple of months service in our main system.
Thx for the tip, Bart. Think I'll give this one a try. As much as I listen to broadcast FM, it will be fun to compare to internet radio (to say nothing of its other functions). Here's a professional review: https://www.hifichoicemag.com/content/yamaha-np-s303

Edit - Ha....... not available in the USA. Have contacted Yamaha, but won't be surprised if it never makes it to our shore.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 10-26-2019 at 05:54 AM.