AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 12-31-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
"If the cartridge drops too quickly when you lower the cueing lever, then the original silicone fluid has leaked out.
Applying a tiny amount of this thick silicone fluid to the cylinder wall of your cueing mechanism will restore a smooth, quiet transition into playback when dropping the cueing lever."
exactly, that's the arm cueing reservoir not the pivoting point of the arm itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
"Some audiophiles prefer not to use tonearm damping at all, even when the arm has provision for it, arguing that the sound is "better" without it. You may agree with them (I certainly don't), but if you do, you should understand that damping acts mainly to suppress the low-frequency arm/cartridge system resonance, and that an undamped arm's "richer, warmer" sound is a coloration, whether you consider it euphonic or not. A tonearm will always provide more accurate and stable disc reproduction with damping than without it. It may, in fact, make the difference between groove-skipping on some discs and unflappable tracking of every disc you own."
good explanation !!
Old 12-31-2013, 05:29 PM

What is great about the JMW uni-pivot is damping can easily be added and removed with a Q-tip. Experimenting is easy.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:28 PM

I use it in mine, I find it sounds great with it, and I don't ever need the anti-skating. Does anyone use anti-skating with the VPI JMW tonearm?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:37 PM

When I was running the JMW on my VPI TNT I adopted the Wally Anti-Skating modification before VPI added a similar anti-skating method to their uni-pivot arms. I felt the arm benefitted from the anti-skating at that time. The arm I was using was the 10" JMW. I've never had the opportunity to run a 12" VPI arm, but I've heard that anti-skating might not be as critical on 12" arms.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I use it in mine, I find it sounds great with it, and I don't ever need the anti-skating. Does anyone use anti-skating with the VPI JMW tonearm?
I do not use it on my Classic 1
2 Channel - Esoteric KO3, VPI Classic, C2300, MS300, MEN220, Bryston 7b SST, B&W 802D, JL F113 (2), MDA 1000, Olive 4HD, Sonos w/Remedy, WW Silver Eclipse ICs , Stillpoints Ultra mini, MR85 tuner, Aurender A10 server

Headphone listening
- Audeze LCD3 with Moon Audio Black Dragon Balanced cables, Sennheiser HD650, WW silver Eclipse Nano cable, Bryston BHA-1 amp

HT -
MX135, OPPO 103D, B&W CDM7, B&W center, Sony 65" LCD
Old 12-04-2019, 12:05 AM

I use arm damping fluid in the pivot well, about 3/4 filled to the top.

To find the correct amount I play the Sheffield Drum record and add or remove fluid with a Q tip until the bass tone is to my liking without a reduction in high frequencies from the cymbal hits.

Some newer VPI arms do not have a well for damping fluid around the pivot.

The type and brand of cartridge will effect the use or lack of dampiing fluid.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:38 PM

Glad this old thread got recently resurrected. I bought a Classic 3 that was set up by the dealer in 2014. The tonearm well has been dry all that time. I found the dampening fluid in the shipping carton but the bottle had leaked some of the fluid and what remained in the bottle was a sticky mess. It was time for a new belt anyway so I ordered another bottle. Curious to find out if the dampening fluid will help with my cartridge.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam08529 View Post
Glad this old thread got recently resurrected. I bought a Classic 3 that was set up by the dealer in 2014. The tonearm well has been dry all that time. I found the dampening fluid in the shipping carton but the bottle had leaked some of the fluid and what remained in the bottle was a sticky mess. It was time for a new belt anyway so I ordered another bottle. Curious to find out if the dampening fluid will help with my cartridge.
You should not need dampening fluid with your Soundsmith Paua cartridge. There are really not many modern cartridges that should need it. The only ones I've even seen a recommendation for in the last decade would be Grado. That being said, check with Peter at SoundSmith, better to hear directly from the horses mouth.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolsey01 View Post
That being said, check with Peter at SoundSmith, better to hear directly from the horses mouth.
I asked Peter about this via email and as expected he responded quickly. Here is his reply:

"If you DON’T swap arm often then the fluid is a good idea to stop the rocking. Use JUST enough in the cup to stop the headshell from rocking on ECCENTRIC records."

New dampening fluid is on the way. I'll give this a try.