AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 12-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Default Delta NR replaces Hydra-to-DAC Venom NR v10

In February 1964, a review in Audio pronounced the McIntosh MR67 FM tuner “superb”. A year later, the Audio reviewer declared the newer MR71 “superber”. Loathe as I am to plagiarize, that succinct comparative assessment pretty well summarizes my listening impressions after replacing the C15-terminated Shunyata Venom NR v10 with the Delta NR as the power cord linking the bedroom system’s Hydra 8 v2 power distributor to a TEAC UD-501 USB DAC.

My August review of that Hydra-to-DAC configuration praised the Venom for imparting greater transparency, heft, dynamic contrast, soundstage layering, and speaker-disappearing palpable presence to music reproduction in my nearfield setup. I was tempted at that point—in view of the Omega NR, please keep in mind that I’m a fixed-income retiree on a tight budget--to hearken back to “The Spy Who Loved Me” and cut my out-of-tune vocal cords loose on “Nobody Does It Better”.

After subjecting the Delta NR to the same diet of large orchestral, massed choral, solo vocal, chamber, operatic duet, jazz combo, and solo instrumental program and logging 100+ hours of settling time, I have to alter the song title, replacing “Nobody” with “Delta”. As excellent as the Venom is, connecting with the Delta extracts even more foundational body, transparency, and inner-space delineation from a given recording. Given that both cords are 10-gauge and the wiring geometry appears similar, I suspect that the conductivity of the CopperCONN connectors has something to do with the improvements in definition, transient speed, and vocal and instrumental nuance I hear in everything from aria to orchestral tutti.

So the Delta NR’s a keeper. And the Venom NR hasn’t gone very far. It’s now parked in the living-room system, linking that setup’s Venom NR v10-connected original-version Hydra to a conrad-johnson Premier 17LS line stage (they make a beautiful sonic couple).

(One more change is coming, though, and it’ll shake up the batting order a bit: I’ve just ordered a Hydra Delta D6 power distributor with SSF-38 feet for the bedroom system. Which means musical-chair Hydra upgrades for both the living-room and home-office systems.)

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:09 PM

Nice review Jim. You confirmed to me once again that I need to go with the Delta NR instead of the Venom NR. Can't wait to get those inserted in my system. I must upgrade 3 more fuses in my amp and the USB cable before I get there.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Have to agree with Serge, Jim, nice review, as always.

Your notes comparing Delta NR with Venom NR are very, very concordant to my experiences.

Another attribute I would say they bring is what I refer to as "dynamic slam"; the ability of the system to transition very quickly and powerfully from, say ppp to ff and back again, and have the presentation hold tightly with coherence. Their ability to convey depth and space and hall ambience in the recording is really remarkable, as well. A great example of this is the superb orchestral recording and mastering of Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez by The Academy and Pepe Romero on Philips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 12.41.08 PM.jpg (477.8 KB, 51 views)
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-12-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:02 PM

Thanks, Serge and Stephen.

Agreed on the improvement in dynamic slam. And the space-demo quality of the Aranjuez (along with its associative evocation of Ricardo Montalban praising luxurious Corinthian leather in a long-ago Chrysler commercial).

One other venue-illuminating recording I'd cite is the Falletta-conducted Jerome Moross Symphony No. 1 and The Last Judgment on a Koch CD engineered by Michael Fine. The Venom NR puts you in the Abbey Road studio. The Delta NR leaves you breathing its every nook and cranny. Big-time.

Now awaiting with bated breath whatever additional magic the on-order Delta D6 will bring to the party.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.

Last edited by jimtranr; 12-13-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:29 AM

Very nice write up and all I needed to know to get a Delta NR.

Thanks