AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 04-01-2012, 07:19 PM

Default Ct5 vs et5

Hey all I thought I would get some opinions from the collective. I will have $10,000 to spend in two weeks and I am thinking about picking up a new preamp. I have a line on a CT5 at about $4500.00 and I could use the rest for toward an amp, maybe a new Classic 60SE or maybe a used LP70s or used ET250s. Or I could buy a new ET5 and get the C1 upgrade on my Premier 11. What do you guys think? I've listen the CT5,ET3 and ET250s, but not in my system. I've never heard the GAT,ET5, ART or any of LP series of amps.

Thanks

Rob
Old 04-01-2012, 07:37 PM

It's a nice dilemma to have. I can only speak of the ET5 and it is a great, no, AWESOME preamp. I only sold it to get the GAT. From what I've been told, the ET5 is about 90% of the GAT. I wish I had followed through and bought the GAT but other pieces followed me home. Maybe one day .....
Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 PM

It is a good problem to have but so many choices
Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 PM

I would get the ET5. Its a substantially better preamp than the CT5. The ET5 is at ACT2S2 performance levels. It even surpasses the ACT in transparency and detail. IMHO one of the best preamps out there.
Your Pr11 is a great amp and with the capacitor upgrade it will improve considerably. The newer amps have better resistors throughout which I am not sure CJ upgrade in the C1 upgrade for the Pr11, and a better power supply with better parts. Still I think the Pr11 is a great amp and you should be in no hurry to upgrade it.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
I would get the ET5. Its a substantially better preamp than the CT5. The ET5 is at ACT2S2 performance levels. It even surpasses the ACT in transparency and detail. IMHO one of the best preamps out there.
Your Pr11 is a great amp and with the capacitor upgrade it will improve considerably. The newer amps have better resistors throughout which I am not sure CJ upgrade in the C1 upgrade for the Pr11, and a better power supply with better parts. Still I think the Pr11 is a great amp and you should be in no hurry to upgrade it.
The CT5 is at a good price but I would love to have the latest model. As far as the Pr11 I've been leaning toward the upgrade because I want a better amp but I don't need another piece of equipment in the basement gathering dust, which is what would happen if I bought another amp. I am not sure if the swaps anything other than capacitors.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:27 PM

I agree with Ronenash if you can afford it get the ET-5 and dont look back. I owned the CT-5 and while it is a great preamp the ET-5 is better.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repman View Post
I agree with Ronenash if you can afford it get the ET-5 and dont look back. I owned the CT-5 and while it is a great preamp the ET-5 is better.
I am leaning toward the ET5, I sure I will love it but I wish I could hear it first. I haven't own a Cj preamp since the PV12 was new. It's amazing how few high end dealers are left.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 AM

No sorry, the CT5 is better because I own one and it looks better and probably sounds better the way i have mine set up (cos I'm some sort of guru clearly) and it was less expensive to buy.

I heard an ET5 the other day and it sounded good but it was not as well setup or optioned compared to my CT5. A component is but one part of the whole needed to make music. That being said it was clear that the ET5 was very nice for a component that I do not own ( a bit like the GAT really - all very nice but I don't own one so clearly it's not as nice as what I have at home :-) until I win the lottery that is. But everyone should have a CJ amp as we want the cranny to go from strength to strength.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 AM

Oops iPhone-ism. Cranny is company.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:28 PM

I would get the ET5 hand down, sell the Pr11 and spend the money on the new stereo ART.
That would make a killer combo and last for awhile or LP70s if you want to save money.
Currently owned ET5 and LP70S