AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > ModWright Instruments

ModWright Instruments Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:13 PM
The Architect

Well RoyMercer, based on your quotes from the AV7005 manual, it sure READS like it does not perform any extra conversions...

I've followed the Oppo and Marantz threads closely on another forum and from what I can tell over there it is inconclusive at best on whether or not this is true. Almost all users are connecting the 95 via 7.1 inputs because that is CERTAIN that there is nothing going on with those except volume control. That is what I based my previous setup comments and recommendations on, along with using the SR7005 in my system for a few weeks which is basically identical to the AV7005. We would probably need to find a service manual with a block diagram to know for sure.

I would say to try both and if you can't hear any difference that will say a lot about them either being the same, or of the quality of the Marantz DAC. I'll look forward to hearing your report back as well as further impressions on the 2-channel tube mod sound!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables

Last edited by JJinID; 11-25-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:08 AM

Thank you very much for sharing your wisdom. My mind is still inconclusive. Especially when it says bass management is not used. I am not sure of their definition of bass management but my AV7005 routes audio from the aux inputs through a low pass filter crossing over at the selected crossover frequency to the sub out in both direct modes. I will try to play with it this weekend. I am confident if there is a difference that I will hear it.

I like the idea of having the FL & FR tube output for movies, assuming it will take some of the load off of one of the two DAC’s. I don’t know if I will like and / or notice a different sound from the other speakers, as if the speakers were not timber matched.

It is going to be difficult and take me a bit to comment on the new tube output because of the speakers I have; but, I will comment a bit now. I modified my RF-7 crossovers with the DeanG mod. That helped but I am not sure it was worth the time and funds. Then I saved up and purchased 30 or so Gik bass traps. At this point my Klipsch are much better but still too bright / harsh for me. Then I bought my Bob Latino ST-120 tube amp. When my Luxman failed, I purchased a Jolida JD100A modified CD player. I replaced the tubes in my Jolida with Mullard CV4004 British New Old Stock and was quite happy. I was never happy with the OPPO as a CD player. Much too harsh/ edgy with my Klipsch. It is a toss-up between the CD player with the mullards or the ST-120 as to which made the most improvement but the combination almost satisfied me. Not 100% satisfied comes along the Modwright mod for the OPPO and it is an expensive mod (for me anyway). I keept asking myself – will she notice the tubes sticking out of the top? Anyway… my point is that I suspect different speakers will make for a fairer review of this mod. I say this because right away I am hearing a too bright / harsh sound with the new tube mod but it is different. It is defiantly a cleaner improvement and probably worth well over the cost of the mod. I suspect that in my case, the mod is not tube like or warm enough for me and my Klipsch. While others, with other speakers, probably want a more undistorted or more natural sound. I have already ordered a pair of grade A Sophia Electric 6SN7 tubes for the OPPO. They should arrive Monday.

Then again, keep in mind I have not spent much time at all with the system. I am working long hours on a special project at work and don’t have much time left in the day. I will defiantly keep everyone posted as I get time to play!
Old 11-26-2011, 01:20 AM
The Architect

A few final thoughts on your comments Roy before I conclude for the night...

Interesting that you are getting a sub crossover in pure direct mode - you shouldn't be. Are you only using analog ins? That shouldn't make a difference but my understanding is that pure direct shuts down all DSP which would include the crossover.

My understanding of the Mod is that it takes several hundred hours of break-in time. Be sure not to pre-judge until you have given it a good run-in. Did you get the upgraded umbillical?

The Sophia Electrics are Dan Wright's preferred tube for the 95 and it is what I will be using in mine when I receive it as well. I would do most of the burn-in with the stock tubes and then switch over to the Sophias when you are ready. Be sure to report back as things settle in - hope you find happiness and contentment with your system!

Last edited by JJinID; 11-26-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:06 PM

“Did you get the upgraded umbilical?” Yes.

I have trouble comprehending the break in time so much talked about in the audio world. It is my belief that a lot of this came from room comb filtering; moving your ears a tiny bit can change the sound based off room acoustics. I also believe that it takes time to get used to a different sound; however, I am not seeking a debate. I am simply administering my opinion.

*Interesting that you are getting a sub crossover in pure direct mode - you shouldn't be. Are you only using analog ins?* Yes, except I do have HDMI from my Oppo into my Marantz but everything audio related is set to analog only. All other interconnects are strictly analog. Tone controls and all other settings are disabled but indeed the LP crossover works using any input. I can set my main speakers to large and the crossover will pass audio to the sub output in any mode. I did get a chance to listen to both 7.1 inputs vs. aux inputs in pure direct mode. It is more difficult than I had anticipated but after an hour back and forth I am of the opinion that there is a difference. The difference is subtle, but I believe the 7.1 input is more accurate. And of course in my case, the hi-end of the spectrum is more reviled on my horns enforcing my compliant of high end harshness. Regardless I am going to go with your suggestion and use the 7.1 inputs to be sure nothing gets in the way.

The good news is that the more I listen to various cd's, the more my like for this new tube mod turns into love. I tend to listen at higher volumes than most, but keeping the volume down helps tame the Kilpsch with the new tube mod. It’s been years but I have heard some very high end players. After spending more time today with the Oppo, I can completely see truth when Dan says the mod competes with players costing well over 5 times the BDP-95 completely modified.

Keeping in mind that my Jolida has $200 worth of NOS tubes, the one thing the Jolida has over the Oppo mod is strong midrange. If one could put the midrange from the Jolida into the Oppo, I could describe the new mod as audio nirvana to die for. The Oppo mod wins on every other level and the mid-range I speak of may change when my new tubes come in next week.

I plan to call Marantz and Outlaw audio next week in regard to pure-direct mode. I will report back as I acquire more info and spend more time with the new mod.

Last edited by RoyMercer; 12-05-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:03 PM

My Sophia 6SN7’s came, but I had to send them back. They were microphonic and one of them caused a loud hum on the right channel. However the tubes that came with the mod seem just as microphonic. I did not realize it until I was messing around trying to find out what was wrong after installing the Sophia’s. I purchased the tubes form Galen Carol audio as suggested from Modwright. Galen and Sophia was a pleasure to deal with. My replacement tubes are already on the way. I realize it is entirely possible that both pairs of tubes could be microphonic but I am a little concerned. At listing volumes I can hear the CD/DVD tray close through the speakers. It’s not overly loud, but it is defiantly there and quite sensitive.

I have not had much listing time but the player sounds great. I think one of my initial issues was listing at to high of volume levels. If I don’t get too loud with it, my speaker / bright complaint are resolved. It’s hard to explain but it sounds so good I want to go louder. Since the Jolida seems to have a warmer / more tub type sound, maybe I can go louder since 2nd order harmonics are less fatiguing. If I don’t get carried away with the volume control, the new mod is defiantly cleaner sounding with more detail than my Jolilda. In fact, it is the cleanest player I have ever heard. The Jolida might be a bit stronger in the lower midrange while the Modwright is stronger in the upper midrange. I want to go louder but ear soreness / fatigue prevents this. Listing at lower volumes defiantly leaves headroom and the Modwright lets all of the natural high transients through with zero distortion. However the need to keep the levels down does lower the attack leaving me wanting to turn up the volume.

I have a pair of NOS 5692 RCA red base tubes on the way. I will report back after the RCA’s and / or Sophia’s arrive and I have had some listening time.

Last edited by RoyMercer; 12-04-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:03 PM

Default Anyone received a Modwright modified BDP-95...

Does anyone else here have a Modwright modified oppo BDP-95 that can share their findings?

Last edited by RoyMercer; 12-04-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:07 PM

I love my MWI Oppo 95. Redbook CD playback is better than my previous Cambridge 840C in terms of tone, soundstage, and musicality. SACD's sound great too. Defenitely, a long-term keeper in my book.

I'm new here at AudioAficionado, by the way. Cheers!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:20 PM

klao... Welcome To AA!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by klao View Post
I love my MWI Oppo 95. Redbook CD playback is better than my previous Cambridge 840C in terms of tone, soundstage, and musicality. SACD's sound great too. Defenitely, a long-term keeper in my book.

I'm new here at AudioAficionado, by the way. Cheers!
Welcome to AA klao!

Please introduce yourself some more and tell us about the rest of your system!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Merry Christmas to all

klao.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A