AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 04-16-2019, 01:47 AM
Aspiring Audiophile

I’m in a similar boat.

I test drove the M4 and was totally underwhelmed.

I didn’t like the turbo lag, and the car felt very big...like a 5 series.

I’ll end up with a 997.1 911 turbo or a low miles e93 (convertible) M3...the last of the naturally aspirated M3s.

I’d expect an M2 could be sweet if you want a newer car. I appreciate a smaller “driver’s car” feel.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 04-16-2019, 07:47 AM

Whilst the M4 can be a bit twitchy under steam and doesn’t ride that well, the M4 CS is a very different car to drive. More exe but a very good car IMHO. Also love the new M2 comp if you can get away with 2 people given the back seats are tight for adults...bang for buck!
Old 04-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The future is definitely electric. It’s already a win for the electric as far as acceleration goes and 0-60 in even in a model 3 Tesla would embarrass most of the performance cars out there and it’s only getting started. Having said that I will hold on as long as possible to the now nearly obsolete internal combustion powered car.
Indeed. Think our two ICE powered cars will be our last. As a minimum, the next ones will be hybrids. Even our shore towns now have charging station parking spaces.

As a side note, passed another Tesla being hauled along on the back of a Tesla 'retrieval truck' yesterday. Have seen that too often to make me a Tesla fan.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 04-16-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Indeed. Think our two ICE powered cars will be our last. As a minimum, the next ones will be hybrids. Even our shore towns now have charging station parking spaces.

As a side note, passed another Tesla being hauled along on the back of a Tesla 'retrieval truck' yesterday. Have seen that too often to make me a Tesla fan.
Most manufacturers have E platforms in various stages of development and near future mass implementation. It’s just a matter of time and Tesla will be far from the first brand that comes to mind when one thinks electric car like it is today. In my mind Tesla is the equivalent of Nokia but there are iPhone and Samsung down the pike of the electric car future...
Old 04-16-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Most manufacturers have E platforms in various stages of development and near future mass implementation. It’s just a matter of time and Tesla will be far from the first brand that comes to mind when one thinks electric car like it is today. In my mind Tesla is the equivalent of Nokia but there are iPhone and Samsung down the pike of the electric car future...
I just started learning about Tesla a month ago.
Many loyal Tesla fans around and equal haters of the brand for whatever reason.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 04-16-2019, 09:28 AM

Tesla makes almost daily changes on the website........You select the car you want one day and it could be gone tomorrow. I appears their thinking and policies change all the time and learn as they go, using customers as guinea pigs. Not a confidence builder for sure.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 04-16-2019, 01:56 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Here are a few of my quick thoughts on those suggestions:

1. M2 - I'm sure it would be amazing and fun to actually drive, but a little small and tbh I'm not a fan of the rearend. it looks very plain to me. Kind of boring.

2. Tesla - sorry but I'm just not a fan. I've heard lots of stories about their fit and finish and reliability and I just don't like the idea of full electric. I'm sure it's fast...but I admit I'm old school. Remember this is the guy who has a 67 camaro and a 68 vette. I don't have them because they are fast or that fun to drive (they really aren't as much as you'd think). I have them because I am old school at heart. I'm almost 50, so i'll be old all the way around soon.

3. Audi TT - not a fan of the styling.

4. E92 M3 - not a bad idea at all, i think that would be SWEET, but hard to find a low mileage example now. Plus the last year was 2013 and my current car is 2011...not really getting a "new" car am I? I think I'd like to get something 2016 or newer.

5. DCT vs Slushbox vs Manual: I've never driven a DCT. Remember I am in traffic quite a bit, and while I love love love a manual, a DCT or auto makes more sense from a purely practical standpoint. While I lusted after a DCT a few years ago, I notice that most manufacturers are moving away from them because auto's have become so reliable and fast-shifting. With 8 and 9 speeds becoming the norm, I am definitely interested in seeing what they can do these days. My current car is a 6 speed auto and I have been impressed with it over slushboxes of old.

6. Porsche is probably out of my price range and/or too small/impractical. I might need to check out the Macan.

7. I appreciate all the suggestions but I'll likely end up with an M4 or S6 or 2020 M340i. Any further insight on those cars (especially from owners) is appreciated.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:45 PM

I sold my '15 M4 when I got my '17 Carrera but now I wish I had kept it. I too spend lots of time in heavy freeway traffic and its shortcomings on the track will never show up in day-to-day usage, so I'm looking for a low-mileage'18 M4. BTW, it will be my daily driver as the Porsche is a keeper.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Member Extraordinaire

Find a low mileage Audi S6 (close to your desired budget) with a little tune it will be close to 600hp

Amp: MC1.2KW x 2, MC602, MC2300
Preamp: C52, MX136, C34V
Digital Source: Oppo BDP 105, Pioneer 47Ai, CAL MkII
Analog Source: MT10, Technics RS 1700
Speakers: VMPS Super Tower lll
Subwoofer: JL Audio F113
Power Cables: Wireworld Platinum Electra 7
Speaker Cables: Straightwire Serenade ll
Signal Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7
Power Isolation: RGP 1200C
Rack: Adona Eris 9TW modified to Eris 12TW

Amp: Yamaha RX Z9
Digital Source: Pioneer BDP 94HD, Oppo UDP-205
Front Speakers: Monitor Audio
Center Speaker: B&W CC6
Rear Speakers: B&W DM 602
Surround Speakers: B&W DM 602
Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL 12BV
Television: Samsung 75 inch 4K Q90R
Old 04-16-2019, 02:56 PM

Sorry I meant to say S5 above. I would like to have a coupe, possibly the sportback (it's growing on me). Or the M4. Or the M340i. I just want to stay with that small to midsize without being too small. A6/S6 is a bit bigger.