AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 04-18-2019, 01:38 PM
Member Extraordinaire

Beware of the manual transmission unless your wife or gf can drive same. If you go out and get sick she can at least bring the car home.

Amp: MC1.2KW x 2, MC602, MC2300
Preamp: C52, MX136, C34V
Digital Source: Oppo BDP 105, Pioneer 47Ai, CAL MkII
Analog Source: MT10, Technics RS 1700
Speakers: VMPS Super Tower lll
Subwoofer: JL Audio F113
Power Cables: Wireworld Platinum Electra 7
Speaker Cables: Straightwire Serenade ll
Signal Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7
Power Isolation: RGP 1200C
Rack: Adona Eris 9TW modified to Eris 12TW

Amp: Yamaha RX Z9
Digital Source: Pioneer BDP 94HD, Oppo UDP-205
Front Speakers: Monitor Audio
Center Speaker: B&W CC6
Rear Speakers: B&W DM 602
Surround Speakers: B&W DM 602
Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL 12BV
Television: Samsung 75 inch 4K Q90R
Old 04-18-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
Beware of the manual transmission unless your wife or gf can drive same. If you go out and get sick she can at least bring the car home.

Interestingly enough, my wife will only own manual cars. So I can throw in my 2 cents when she is looking for a car. It is ultimately her decision, but i may suggest cars that I also want to drive... And that's where the M2 came from!
Old 04-18-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Cadillac V Series - more fast than you’ll ever need on 90 East
Not really a fan of their styling, Ed. Plus, you can probably tell from this thread that I'm more of a fan of German cars
Old 04-18-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Just my 2 cents...
The M2 is an amazingly fun to drive car. Nimble, fast, and great looking particularly is a non-bland color like Estoril Blue. They come with manual transmission too.
The 997 Porsches are nice and reliable. But beware that Porsche stopped making the 997 long ago (2005 I think) so no warranty. I am sure that you can find plenty of low mileage garage queens out there.
Since several folks mentioned Audi, you should consider the Audi A5 Sportsback. It looks like the A7 but smaller. They may have a S version as well.
Yes, there is an S5 sportback. I'm considering that...if I like the S5 in general I might look into it.

I mentioned earlier, the M2 doesn't look that great from the back to me, and it's pretty small. But I bet it drives GREAT. I might try one.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post

I mentioned earlier, the M2 doesn't look that great from the back to me, and it's pretty small. But I bet it drives GREAT. I might try one.
more like what the '3' series used to be
Old 04-18-2019, 11:53 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Porsche 997 runs through 2009. FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Just my 2 cents...
The M2 is an amazingly fun to drive car. Nimble, fast, and great looking particularly is a non-bland color like Estoril Blue. They come with manual transmission too.
The 997 Porsches are nice and reliable. But beware that Porsche stopped making the 997 long ago (2005 I think) so no warranty. I am sure that you can find plenty of low mileage garage queens out there.
Since several folks mentioned Audi, you should consider the Audi A5 Sportsback. It looks like the A7 but smaller. They may have a S version as well.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 04-20-2019, 08:05 AM
Retired

Quote:
That avatar is my car, I only like classic chevys. Just not a fan of what they are doing these days. I drove a new camaro ss and it felt like it was falling apart compared to my 335. Just my experience and my opinion. Otoh, I think the new vette will be sick! I just can't afford it.
Went with Chevy in '07. Had four of them since and put on 50K to 170K with a total of 350K miles on them. Total repair cost was $70 in those 12yr. Would have gone with the new Camaro, but it is almost impossible to see out of and the trunk is quite difficult to get things into and out of. Even though my experience is that GM's quality is second to none, I went back to BMW (my 5th) in January and am happy with the decision. Their straight-6 is about as good as it gets. Luv that 7000rpm redline.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 04-20-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:22 PM

UPDATE: I bought a 2016 BMW 550i XDrive M-Sport with everything except adaptive cruise control.

I tried an M4, an S5, and an SQ5. Unfortunately there weren't any Audi S6/S7 in my area with the right color and status (miles/CPO) and I gave up looking/waiting. I could have driven to Portland to find one.

The M4 was awesome but it occurred to me just how useless that car is around here. It's wet here 10 months out of the year so you'd be dealing with traction issues all the time. I did in my 335 as well, but that didn't even have as much power and at least had more room (sedan vs coupe). Plus I kept feeling like it was a bit over the top since i'm mostly sitting in traffic.

The S5 Sportback just felt somewhat disconnected. Yes it is very fast, and yes it is very sexy. It just didn't drive the way I like.

The SQ5 surprisingly drove better than the S5 in my opinion. It felt more connected and responsive. Weird, I know! That is a great SUV for sure, but I just wasn't ready to get an SUV.

The 550 made me realize how much I could love having a luxury car. Compared to anything else I've ever owned, this thing is on a whole different level of refinement and luxury. It has options I never had(like heads-up display and massage seats) but once I tried them, I was all-in

445hp/480ft-lbs doesn't hurt, either. Except at the gas pump!

Next up is a good tint on the car, maybe new wheels when these tires wear out (they are new), and possibly a Dinan ECU adapter for more power. Not sure I need it!

Last edited by 2fastdriving; 06-24-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
UPDATE: I bought a 2016 BMW 550i XDrive M-Sport with everything except adaptive cruise control.

I tried an M4, an S5, and an SQ5. Unfortunately there weren't any Audi S6/S7 in my area with the right color and status (miles/CPO) and I gave up looking/waiting. I could have driven around to find one.

The M4 was awesome but it occurred to me just how useless that car is around here. It's wet here 10 months out of the year so you'd be dealing with traction issues all the time. I did in my 335 as well, but that didn't even have as much power and at least had more room (sedan vs coupe). Plus I kept feeling like it was a bit over the top since i'm mostly sitting in traffic.

The S5 Sportback just felt somewhat disconnected. Yes it is very fast, and yes it is very sexy. It just didn't drive the way I like.

The SQ5 surprisingly drove better than the S5 in my opinion. It felt more connected and responsive. Weird, I know! That is a great SUV for sure, but I just wasn't ready to get an SUV.

The 550 made me realize how much I could love having a luxury car. Compared to anything else I've ever owned, this thing is on a whole different level of refinement and luxury. It has options I never had(like heads-up display and massage seats) but once I tried them, I was all-in

445hp/480ft-lbs doesn't hurt, either. Except at the gas pump!

Next up is a good tint on the car, maybe new wheels when these tires wear out (they are new), and possibly a Dinan ECU adapter for more power. Not sure I need it!

Awesome car, I've owned 2 550xi's. That is exactly same year as my last one, enjoy it.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 06-24-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpaf76 View Post
Awesome car, I've owned 2 550xi's. That is exactly same year as my last one, enjoy it.
Yes, I just noticed you posted about your 2019! Congrats! That must be amazing!