AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-19-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDog View Post
I used to run a MDA1000 and a single MC352. Volume could get very loud, very fast. Now I run the MDA1000 into a MX-122 and use MC501 mono-blocks (same speakers as before) and I have to crank the volume up very high to get a real "rocking" experience. There is really nothing at all up until about 30 or 35 if I recall..I'll have to double check... and I think I had to go up to 70 to get it going to a really loud level.
Same exact thing here. I can’t hear a thing below 36 volume, starting to hear sound at 40 and need to get as high as 80-85 to start enjoying.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Running my MX150 with RoomPerfect on or Bypassed does not affect the sound level volume, so the same should apply to the MX160. Most if not all people love RoomPerfect when setup correctly.

As Tom mentioned "The MX 122 seems to have a different gain structure than other Mcintosh products. It is based on a Marantz design so that may be the reason."

Others have also mentioned the same volume issue as you with the exception of leftside - "I never had this problem with a MX121 and a C2300. Volume was about the same whether listening to 2-channel or movies."

The C2600 has a digital section vs the C2300 is all analog, so having two digital sections might also be conflicting.

You mentioned McIntosh service also verified the same volume issue, so maybe you could ask them to insert a MX160 and see if the same occurs.

Ron
The guys from McIntosh just called me after completing the test in an MX160 connected to a C2600.
He confirmed that he achieved high volume by going to the 30-40 level, which means that he did not need to crank it up.

I guess that now I need to figure out if the problem is with my MX122 or all of them. He suggested I take my unit to the defeat, connect itvthere and see if the problem persists. Sigh... I will need to put a lot of time into this :-)

I wish they would let me upgrade to a 160 for a reasonable price, I’ll ask.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:55 PM

The MX122 manual says "Source Level - Digital Inputs -12dB to +12dB. Select the desired Input Source before changing the level, Refer to the bottom of Video Screen for Information."

Did you try adjusting the digital input source level to +12db while that source is selected?

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub

Last edited by Poppyhome; 01-19-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:10 PM

The C2600 manual says "Adjust the Trim Level of each Input to match the average volume level of the Input most frequently listened to. The range of adjustment is ± 6.0dB in half dB steps."

You could try lowering those inputs to -6dB.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-20-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
The MX122 manual says "Source Level - Digital Inputs -12dB to +12dB. Select the desired Input Source before changing the level, Refer to the bottom of Video Screen for Information."

Did you try adjusting the digital input source level to +12db while that source is selected?

Ron
I did and it helps a little but people on the forum said that this is not intended for this (to boost volume) and that it adds considerable distortion. So I have not been using it.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
I did and it helps a little but people on the forum said that this is not intended for this (to boost volume) and that it adds considerable distortion. So I have not been using it.
Maybe there was a misunderstanding because that is its purpose, to increase or decrease an input sound level so they are all the same volume. I would crank the MX122 digital input to +12db, and you could also decrease the C2600 input -6db if need be.

See if that helps.

Ron
Old 01-20-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Maybe there was a misunderstanding because that is its purpose, to increase or decrease an input sound level so they are all the same volume. I would crank the MX122 digital input to +12db, and you could also decrease the C2600 input -6db if need be.

See if that helps.

Ron
Going to try it very shortly. May I ask why I need to decrease the C2600 input level?
Old 01-20-2018, 08:45 PM

You may need to raise one and lower the other until you get the levels to come closer to matching. It's going to be trial and error at best.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Going to try it very shortly. May I ask why I need to decrease the C2600 input level?
Exactly as Jack said "You may need to raise one and lower the other until you get the levels to come closer to matching. It's going to be trial and error at best."

You would only lower the C2600 if needed.

Ron
Old 01-21-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Exactly as Jack said "You may need to raise one and lower the other until you get the levels to come closer to matching. It's going to be trial and error at best."

You would only lower the C2600 if needed.

Ron
Adjusted the Digital Input of the MX122 to +10db and it sounds much better. Getting the same volume at around 55 (compared to 80-82 before). Not sure if I should touch the C2600.