AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Movies

Movies Past, Current & Future

Old 12-15-2017, 09:14 AM
Go Dawgs

Still trying to process (although not in a good way methinks.........)
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-15-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep View Post
Mixed feelings.. too many stupid jokes spoil the mood in my opinion... but last part of the movie is very epic and gave me goose bumps
Josep, I guess the stupid jokes are just part of the franchise and therefor I expected them. Thus, they didn't detract from my enjoyment, more than half of which is derived from the act of seeing it with my son with whom I've been watching Star Wars since he was a wee lad.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Go Dawgs

Well, I have an absolute ton of comments, but I'll leave them alone for awhile since most haven't seen the movie yet and I don't want to spoil anything. I'll just say this, I'm sort of a Star Wars fanboy and think that the Star Wars mythology is one of the greatest creative stories of all time. That being said, I think the Last Jedi as a stand alone movie by itself was very good. As a continuation of the Star Wars mythology and advancing the story, I think it was a borderline abomination. Sorry.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-15-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Well, I have an absolute ton of comments, but I'll leave them alone for awhile since most haven't seen the movie yet and I don't want to spoil anything. I'll just say this, I'm sort of a Star Wars fanboy and think that the Star Wars mythology is one of the greatest creative stories of all time. That being said, I think the Last Jedi as a stand alone movie by itself was very good. As a continuation of the Star Wars mythology and advancing the story, I think it was a borderline abomination. Sorry.

- Buck
Buck, I'll hold off too for the reason you articulated, but, I think some of which you will eventually comment on is due to the attempt to make cohesion out of these continuing episodes where the true motivation is commercial. I can see where you would be less than pleased given the potential of the SW universe. I guess I'm just not expecting or hoping for much, so not as affected by what you are referring to. I'll truly be looking forward to reading about your observations as you are more discerning than I am.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:

- Buck
Saw it last night with the family and some of their friends. We bought 10 tickets and let my kids bring a friend....It was a great evening just from that perspective.

I too thought the movie was excellent, I'm 53 and yes a Star Wars fan from day 1...My wife, although will not call herself a SW geek, is truly a SW geek, she was more excited about the movie than all of us put together, she kept saying all day at work she was pumped! That's awesome!!!

There were a few low spots, as in any movie with especially a 2.5hr movie. I think it left off in a good place.

And yes the Star Wars story is clearly one of the greatest, if not the GOAT, story lines ever created. At this stage in the game the volume of spin offs and direction can literally go anywhere....The galaxy is pretty big
Old 12-15-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:

- Buck
I felt the exact same way about The Force Awakens ... Any thoughts on if the Last Jedi at least raises the bar over The Force Awakens?
Old 12-15-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
I felt the exact same way about The Force Awakens ... Any thoughts on if the Last Jedi at least raises the bar over The Force Awakens?
Maybe in one aspect regarding the Force, but not overall. I do feel that The Last Jedi accomplishes advancement of the story trajectory, but that's more a factor of it being the second and therefor additive.

It's hard to compare in one respect because the anticipation and excitement for The Force Awakens was so great given the time lapse since the preceding episode and Disney's involvement.

The reaction of the audience in which I was a part was very positive towards The Last Jedi.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:58 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:

- Buck
And the critics are saying it's the best since Empire. Everybody has a different view, that's obvious.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 12-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
And the critics are saying it's the best since Empire. Everybody has a different view, that's obvious.
Yeah it’s pretty interesting, Star Wars fan reviews have pretty much been universally negative in a big way yet critic reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. That pretty much does align with my thoughts......I think as a film per se it was very good but my God as a Star Wars film looking for adventure, fun, princesses, swashbucklers, Jedi and lightsabers it was not good. I left the theatre thinking the movie itself wasn’t bad but WTF did I just watch?

- Buck
Old 12-15-2017, 08:16 PM

^ I think that is pretty deep, I think TLJ sets up for the next 2 movies to explain the rebuild of the rebellion. We will see, though, as I think it can go in many different ways......At some point, the story needs to come to some type of conclusion and settlement.
Good vs Evil always has an ending......I have 2 major disappointments with Star Wars..
1) Jar jar binks
2) Losing Best Picture in 1978

How on earth Annie Hall won over Star Wars, has to be the worst pick ever. Luckily SW won a bunch of other categories that year...