AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 03-24-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Have any of you tested your GL KT77 reissues for grid leakage. I had my tester out and thought I would run the quad I have through the paces. Emission was strong but grid leakage was questionable for all four of a quad. I ran some JJ KT77s through and they did not act the same. These GLs are not that old (new in September and not always in the amp) so I was wondering if maybe this was inherent to the GL make. Any input would be welcome.
BC, this is form Upscale Audio:

Gold Lion KT77 - A modern re-creation of the legendary Genalex KT77. Produced in Russia by New Sensor. Reports in the field say this is one of the most durable EL34 types currently available, and so far our tests agree with that. Far more reliable than the JJ KT77, and even more beautiful sonically. Great mids, smooth, airy highs, incredible bass, wonderful 3D presence, and that natural glory you'd expect in an EL34. We've been playing these in everything from the PrimaLuna amps to the Manley Snappers, and they sound great.

A quick note on this tube: These tubes seem to take a bit longer to break in than some other power tubes, so if they sound a little lightweight in the bass, you have to give them time. Some guys are reporting at least 100 hours before the fully come into their own.

Pricing above is for a single tube. Includes matching in any quantity you need at no extra charge.

All power tubes are Platinum Screened & Tested to the highest standards, including a 72-hour burn in process, and testing at real-world voltages.

Every power tube is different. This applies especially to power tubes like EL34, 6550, KT88’s, etc. Two tubes can be brand new in the original box, with one testing at [as an example] 6500 micromhos, the next one at 8600 micromhos. Both tubes would be considered "new" by the factory, and not defective. While the weaker tube isn’t "defective," it will certainly have a shorter life. So if you pay 10% less, you might get a tube with a significantly shorter life. The big lie from manufacturers of tube equipment and tube dealers themselves is that they “reject” these tubes. It’s not true. You can imagine the nightmare that would create for the tube factory if people are sending back 50% - 80% of the tubes that get shipped, coming back in all kinds of condition.

As the owner of Upscale Audio, a company that has supplied tubes into over 50,000 components, and someone obsessed with treating your amp like it’s my amp, I can tell you in no uncertain terms the factory doesn’t take them back. The only tubes they will take back are tubes that have shorts, gas, or measure BELOW the minimum number they assign for that tube type (it varies from type to type, so don’t bother trying to figure that out).

I’ve overcome that issue for you. I can say with calm assurance that we pay the factories more for our tubes than any other tube seller, and we ensure that we receive the absolute cream of the crop. This flies against the logic of how to run a business: The way you make money is to pay less for the goods you sell! That’s what most ANY business owner will tell you. We also don’t sell certain brands of tubes because while they might be cheap and sometimes good, they can be more trouble than they're worth. We pass on a lot of money as a result.

Upscale Audio is the only dealer that does what we do on a grand scale, and have a deep understanding of high end tube electronics. We’re the only dealer that manufacturers give a thumbs-up to, and recommend to their customers. And I promise you only the best.

- Kevin Deal

You need to be sure your tube seller does in depth testing. Not all do. Jim McShane and Cryoset are also good tube sellers.

BTW, are you certain that your tester is working properly?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post

You need to be sure your tube seller does in depth testing. Not all do. Jim McShane and Cryoset are also good tube sellers.

BTW, are you certain that your tester is working properly?
FB,

These came with the amp. Not sure where DH sources his tubes. Though It seems my tester is working fine who can ever be sure. I do not have a control tube to test. That is why I inquired here. I did run my JJ kt77s as mentioned but it did not confirm or deny anything since they are a different make.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:33 AM

FB copied from Upscale Audio: "Gold Lion KT77 - A modern re-creation of the legendary Genalex KT77. Produced in Russia by New Sensor. Reports in the field say this is one of the most durable EL34 types currently available, and so far our tests agree with that. Far more reliable than the JJ KT77, and even more beautiful sonically. Great mids, smooth, airy highs, incredible bass, wonderful 3D presence, and that natural glory you'd expect in an EL34. "

This is consistent with what I have read from several sources. However it is at odds with what Dennis reported. He said that he prefers the JJ KT77 over the GL.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:42 AM

I have read of situations where certain tube testers are more prone to give false grid leakage readings, particularly if they are out of spec. Which many are, given how old most are. Also that if they are in this state, they may give a false reading with particular tubes.

Given that all four of your GL KT77 tubes tested in the same way, makes me wonder if it is due to something specific between that tube and your tester. If possible, I suggest that you test them on a different tester.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
FB copied from Upscale Audio: "Gold Lion KT77 - A modern re-creation of the legendary Genalex KT77. Produced in Russia by New Sensor. Reports in the field say this is one of the most durable EL34 types currently available, and so far our tests agree with that. Far more reliable than the JJ KT77, and even more beautiful sonically. Great mids, smooth, airy highs, incredible bass, wonderful 3D presence, and that natural glory you'd expect in an EL34. "

This is consistent with what I have read from several sources. However it is at odds with what Dennis reported. He said that he prefers the JJ KT77 over the GL.
The thorough testing of tubes is the issue not the brand.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:17 PM

My experience with this tube, even if I have never measured any of the ones I own, has been glorious ... Best I've ever heard in this Inspire amp. I guess in my case the GL KT-77's are just right. Has anyone tried "true" 6CA7's in the Inspire and compared them with the KT-77's? I know these are US-equivalents of the EL-34's but more rugged? In any event, the GL KT-77 sound so nice in my setting that I'm wondering if there's possibly even more to like in a closely related tube.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 03-24-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post

The thorough testing of tubes is the issue not the brand.
I am not sure there is a problem. He wrote that all of his GL KT77 tubes showed a grid leakage on his tester. Perhaps it is just some quirk of that tube and his tester. These tubes are drawing raves from many quarters, with few problems as far as I can determine. So it seems odd that all 4 of his are showing the same problem, while all playing well in his amp.

So is it 1) all of his tubes are defective? 2) his tube tester readings on that tube are wrong? 3) his amp has somehow damaged those tubes?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
My experience with this tube, even if I have never measured any of the ones I own, has been glorious ... Best I've ever heard in this Inspire amp. I guess in my case the GL KT-77's are just right. Has anyone tried "true" 6CA7's in the Inspire and compared them with the KT-77's?.
I have read reviews of the new GL KT77 which have declared them to be the best EL34/KT77 ever made. Better than the Mullard EL34, better than the original vintage Genalex KT77. Some people saying this are amp manufacturers, some are tube dealers, others are owners of vintage amps. Of course others disagree, such is the nature of this hobby. I should get a pair. All I have are the JJ that I received from Dennis.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Has anyone tried "true" 6CA7's in the Inspire and compared them with the KT-77's? .
I have tried vintage Sylvania fat boy 6CA7 and EI 6CA7, comparing to my JJ KT77. I liked the JJ better, to my surprise. But I should run that comparison again, as I am now driving different speakers in a different room.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I am not sure there is a problem. He wrote that all of his GL KT77 tubes showed a grid leakage on his tester. Perhaps it is just some quirk of that tube and his tester. These tubes are drawing raves from many quarters, with few problems as far as I can determine. So it seems odd that all 4 of his are showing the same problem, while all playing well in his amp.

So is it 1) all of his tubes are defective? 2) his tube tester readings on that tube are wrong? 3) his amp has somehow damaged those tubes?
Bombadil,
You hit that right on the head. I am trying to figure out which of those it is. When I first walked into my office and smelled what turned out to be a burned up resistor the amp was playing and sounded fine. I thought maybe it was some glue on the tube glass/socket which smelled so I pulled the 6k6s and put in my trusty GL KT-77s because they always sound good. I realized after an hour or so that the smell was still strong after a trip to the bathroom. That is when I pulled the skid plate and saw the damage. Wondering what I may have done I tested the 6k6s and one was bad. Likely from the socket with the burned resistor. I then checked the KT-77s since they were in and I thought maybe the amp had damaged the tube in the effected socket which is when I found this grid leakage test result on all 4. They are not reading bad but are not reading like typical new tubes do. My problem is I do not have any new GL Kt-77s to compare them to. While awaiting some repair resistors I figure I would like to find out if this is a quirk with my tester or is my PSE hard on tubes or is my stupidity hard on tubes?

Right now my Inspire KT Amp with Visseau 6v6gts, Bendix 6106, 6N6P sounds just great. Playing Gov't Mule's Telstar Sessions. Its good to have a backup.