AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 01-17-2018, 02:07 PM

https://www.whathifi.com/news/brysto...e-loudspeakers
Old 01-18-2018, 12:49 PM

Beautiful looking!

This overall visual statement should get an award! Not to mention the sound too!

https://darko.audio/2018/01/bryston-...-loudspeakers/
Old 01-24-2018, 02:07 PM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Austria – Bryston Middle T Active Speakers

Hi James,

We are just testing the Bryston Middle T ACTIVE powered speakers with 3 stereo amps as we are preparing for upcoming Hamburg Show.

It “Sounds Really Fantastic – so relaxed and easy” !!!

Thank you, thank you and thank youuuuuu!!!

Best regards
Edvard Potisk
Austria
Old 02-05-2018, 04:27 PM

SUBJECT: Capital Audiofest 2017– Bryston Middle T Active Demo

Kemper Holt

ENJOY THE MUSIC .COM

The first thing I noticed walking into the Bryston room was the layout, they chose to put the speakers on the long wall and have us sit in the nearfield. My first impression was I'm too close and was this a wise decision? Turns out it was a very astute choice as the room sounded great. Bryston was showing an active loudspeaker, The Bryston Middle T Actives which unlike the norm does not have the amps and active crossovers built, they are outboard.
Performing the necessary tasks were a pair of Bryston 21B Cubed 3 channel amps, BAX-1 active three-way crossover, BP 17 Cubed preamp, BDA-3 DAC, BDP Player, all plugged into a BIT 20 conditioner.

The old adage about audio companies specializing in a particular vein of equipment and unable to make top notch equipment in all categories falls flat on its face here.

In an all Bryston system, a great deal of synergy applied itself and the room just made music. The low bass on Boz Scagg's "Thanks to You" came through as powerful and deep almost matching the megabuck room, tight and had the true low extension that makes you take notice. I played some tracks from Paul Simon's Graceland and the result was spectacular. The speakers vanished, the coral parts were displayed on a vast soundstage including height, nice individualization of voices, percussion dynamic and exciting, natural tone, and Paul's voice sounded as it should.

A guest put on an orchestral recording that really showed off the system, big soundstage, nothing tied to the speakers, explosive dynamics, natural string tone, horns were particularly real sounding, I was brought into the music and thoroughly enjoyed being engaged into just relaxing and letting the piece wash over me.

Wonderful room!

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 02-05-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 PM

SUBJECT: Bryston Mini T Active – Customer Feedback

Hi James,

I've now had my Active Mini-T's running for about 5 days and am very happy with their superb sound! I also changed from a BP26 to a BP17cubed at the same time because I didn't have the patience to stage them in separately, so can't definitively attribute specific improvements to one change or the other... but there are definitely many improvements.

My previous setup was BP26 - 7B3 - Mini-T Passive.

The new setup is BP17C - BAX1 - 7B3/2.5B3 - Mini-T-Active

I was quite pleased with my passive Mini-T's but knew from experience that the move to active would be a major change and it was:

• Soundstage is more 3D, more depth and layers
• Attacks and percussion are crisper
• Articulation of individual notes is clearer
• The music overall is clearer, a veil has been lifted!

Late night/very low volume listening has been good since moving to Mini-T's a year ago but it is now even better. At my normal volumes (still comparatively low due to small apartment constraints) the bass seems to have about the same low extension but is clearer and, for example, I heard a very clear bass line in an old recording that I'd never noticed before. Every instrument seems more clearly defined on the soundstage and sounds more distinct compared to my passive system. Marimbas and xylophones seem to have more "glow" as do tablas. Orchestral works sound richer and more "full-bodied" even though the passive Mini-T's sounded great too.

Although I'm sure the BP17C should be getting some of the credit, there is one very welcome improvement that it clearly offers: the slower response on the motorized volume control - important to me in adjusting levels in my limited volume range.

Overall, I'm very pleased. Thank you to you and the team for deciding to offer an active version of the already-great Mini-T's!

Norm
Old 02-21-2018, 09:48 PM

SUBJECT: Bryston Middle T ‘ACTIVE’ – Dealer Feedback

February, 2018

Hi James,

Just hooked up the new Bryston Middle T active speakers.

So far, excellent.

Will play with the parametric EQ to see if I can clean the room up a little.

My first impression is what my suspicion was:

“Once you go active, you can never go back.”

I will follow up with you after more time with them.

Thanks for your passion and "end to end" product!!!

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-09-2018, 07:56 AM

Hello Gentlemen,

Just a quick thank you note (detailed impressions later).

I received my 21B Cubed 3 channel amplifiers for my Active Model T's today.

An hour out of the box, these amps are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

I’m impressed how far above the six 7B mix I was using (4x 7B SST2 and 2x cubed for mids). Well done.

Thanks!
Marc

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 03-09-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:01 PM

SUBJECT: Bryston Model T Active – Distributor Feedback - Norway

Dear, Brian & everybody @ BRYSTON !

Attached please find Håvards picture of our BRYSTON rig with 21B3 amplifiers and the BIG Model-T speakers with BAX-1 Electronic crossover etc... .

Håvard hadn't time to wait a minute more, when I unloaded the shipment yesterday. He connected the BIG Bryston 21B3 amplifiers and we listened yesterday to different music and we concluded early on but which we felt stronger and stronger about as we continued to listen and can confirm:

The Bryston 21B3 Cubed amplifiers lifted the experience of the Model-T Active sound above everything we have heard earlier. They played with authority and control and with details in the high frequencies we have never experienced before.

We were astonished by the extreme control of the lowest of the low frequencies. You Brystoners have made an extremely good match with the 21B3, BAX-1 and Model-T Active
speakers. Now it's more than a pleasure to come to work and listen to this setup. Thank You, Bryston!

Brian, say hello to your employees from us, we are very thankful for what you have done for us and soon for the Audiophiles in Little Norway. The future is very bright.

Best regards from Norway,
Håvard &, björn
Old 03-14-2018, 09:41 AM

Hi James,

For the ones who already invested in PMC loudspeakers, any chances the BAX-1 can be factory programmed for certain PMC loudspeakers in the near future?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat963 View Post
Hi James,

For the ones who already invested in PMC loudspeakers, any chances the BAX-1 can be factory programmed for certain PMC loudspeakers in the near future?

Thanks!
Hi

We have mentioned it to PMC - that we could do a PMC version but they have not responded yet.

One of the issues is that the BAX-1 is really a very specialized crossover. All other active crossovers I am aware of just provide the customer with a 'generic' approach to adjustments. By that I mean you can choose the slope and the crossover point and sometimes the Q but they do not take into account the 'Sound Power' or total radiated energy of the speaker.

The BAX-1 on the other hand is designed with a specific speaker in mind. The Model T has different software then the Middle T and the Mini T has different software again. The reason for that is we put each of the Model T's in our anechoic chamber and we make over 300 measurements but vertically and horizontally around the speaker and adjust the software to provide as accurate as possible the best Sound Power for the specific Model T speaker.

One of the reasons PMC may not want to go with the BAX-1 is because just having generic crossover points and slopes based on their passive crossover may not be sophisticated enough given the quality of their speakers.

Hope this helps explain it a bit.

james

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 03-14-2018 at 01:22 PM.