AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Yer Deity fer dis evenin'

Default Installed the LED kit for the MR85

O.k., so I got one of my "What's Next" things out of the way..(can't wait till my last one jdandy )

I go on line to make sure that UPS has my package was "Out for Delivery". A few minutes later I see where they made an attempt to make the delivery; nobody home. Now I'm not sure why they try to make residential deliveries in the middle of the afternoon.....shoot, I mean luckily nobody in my house is among the unemployed and we, like the masses, work during the day.

So I call and arrange to pick up the package at the will call in my town. No problem you say? NAY!! They tell they are open between 6:30pm and 7:30pm. I get there are 6:32pm and they tell me it's not there yet. After 3 messages sent to the driver to drop it off at will call AND 45 figgin' minutes later they find out the driver dropped it off at the guard's shack at the hub around the corner, and nobody called to say it was there!!

So I drive over to the hub which a dangerous place to walk around with all the truck zippin' around without any regard for pedestrians. There are two guys at the guard shack: 1 sitting on a stool outside the building with hardly any ambition to work and 1 inside the building with little more than a mid-double digit I.Q. I get my package and I'm outta there.

I get home and start breaking down the tuner. The kit is very complete and I did actually use every tool that it came with.

It took about 2 hours to do only because after I got all of the o-rings seated correctly it took a bit of trial and error getting the bulbs in without either pushing them all the way through or unseating the o-ring all of the way through the PC board. The pick and the tweezers they included were used the most. 3 in1oil on the o-rings didn't help matters too much either

The black metal cover that the LED board mounts to had to be removed so I could get a better handle on seating the new bulbs at the right depth.

Two hours later it's all back together, put back in the cabinet and looking good........except....the "TUNING" light just doesn't light up as bright as the others. After thinking about it, that bulb just isn't close enough to light it sufficiently. Not a whole lot I can do about it.

So I'm ready for bed and fired up my computer to check e-mail one last time and add the LED kit to my equipment inventory for the insurance files. Of course, it hangs on boot up twice. I've come across this before and I open the CPU case to reseat the hard-drive cable (haven't seen a SATA cable yet that was really worth a damn...even with the metal locking clips. Get it all put back together, boot it up only to find that one of my internal drives is not showing up so I can do a backup. Open it all back up again to find that while I was reseating SATA cables I knock out the power cable to the missing drive.

Bedtime for me at 1am is NOT in my repitwar.....
Old 05-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Mighty Favog.......Ah, the joys of "Do-It- Yourself."

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 AM

I've got the LED kit installed in the C39 and had the same results. While it looks nice and runs cooler and all specs are normal or good as new. This said the LED's do not light up the front as much as set of new bulbs would. There are some areas that are not as bright as if the bulbs were there. I knew better to try and install it myself and let my McIntosh service guy do the work. He told me it could have been improved on but was worth it since the unit runs cooler and no more bulb replacement.

Dave

Last edited by f1 fan; 05-14-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:55 PM

is there bulbs in MR85 tuner? :/
Old 05-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Yer Deity fer dis evenin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkz View Post
is there bulbs in MR85 tuner? :/
Yup!! Eight of them.

Last edited by Mighty Favog; 05-16-2010 at 02:07 PM.