AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-06-2010, 03:38 PM

Default C2300 pre

I was offered a deal I could not refuse - I upgraded to the C2300 preamp. I hope to get my Graham Slee Era Gold V out of lhe loop by using the phono stage of the C2300. I have some Tungsol Gold pins and Sovtek LPS 12 AX7 tubes plus I have also bought some Telefunkens (waiting on delivery). My question is since I have never replaced tubes before is there anything I should be aware of prior to doing this? Does the entire top cover of the pre come off or can the glass cover be removed? I assume the Teles should be my first choice in my phono stage (MM - I have a DV20XH). Where should I begin my capacitance settings at? Any help or suggestions from current C2300 owners appreciated.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
I was offered a deal I could not refuse - I upgraded to the C2300 preamp. I hope to get my Graham Slee Era Gold V out of lhe loop by using the phono stage of the C2300. I have some Tungsol Gold pins and Sovtek LPS 12 AX7 tubes plus I have also bought some Telefunkens (waiting on delivery). My question is since I have never replaced tubes before is there anything I should be aware of prior to doing this? Does the entire top cover of the pre come off or can the glass cover be removed? I assume the Teles should be my first choice in my phono stage (MM - I have a DV20XH). Where should I begin my capacitance settings at? Any help or suggestions from current C2300 owners appreciated.
First Congrats !!! You just offered to you one of the best preamps in the world !
I don't have a C2300 but I'm quite sure that you can't remove the glass cover. The entire top cover comes out : just pull and push slightly from the face plate.
Capacitance loading should first be set according to the cart specs. Then, you fine tune by ears. My cart is supposed to be at 50 kohms and I have it set at 100 because it just sounds better. Moreover, the cable capacitance must be taken into account...
Cheers and enjoy your new toy !
Jerome
Old 05-06-2010, 04:08 PM

Congratulations - The 2300 is a fine looking pre-amp. I am sure you will be happy.
Jim
Old 05-06-2010, 04:08 PM

When I swapped tubes in my c2300, I had to take off the top cover and then one of the side panels since the glass cover got in the way of the top cover sliding all the way off. You also have to unscrew the cover over the tubes without dropping the screws.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Merry Christmas to all

miner.......I swapped tubes many times in my C2300. It is simple. First, unplug the preamplifier from power. Remove the screws that secure the top cover, gently lift the rear of the cover and pull back. There is a bit of sticky material along the front edge that has to release, but is not a problem. Once the cover is removed you will see the support bar that goes across the six tubes. Remove the screws from each side of the support bar, and lift the bar out. Now, simply grasp the tube, and gently wiggle and pull it out of the socket. Reinsert your new tubes, reinstall the tube support bar, the top cover, and plug the preamp back in. You are in business. It is easy, and simple. Once you have done it, you will be a pro.

Congratulations on the C2300. It is a beautiful preamplifier.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 05-06-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:00 PM

Congrats!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:32 PM

Thanks to all who have generously replied and added the guidance. I am not so nervous to try now. I suppose since these tubes are not high-temp tubes I can handle with my bare hands without fear of skin oils damaging the tubes. I was able to trade in my C2200 + $2150 for the C2300.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
Thanks to all who have generously replied and added the guidance. I am not so nervous to try now. I suppose since these tubes are not high-temp tubes I can handle with my bare hands without fear of skin oils damaging the tubes. I was able to trade in my C2200 + $2150 for the C2300.
miner.......That was an excellent deal. Don't forget to give us your opinion of the C2300 after you have had some time with it, and get to know and use the features. Even though I replaced my C2300 with the C1000T, I could go back to the C2300 easily. It is a very fine preamplifier.

About skin oil on the tubes, although the small tubes never really get that hot, I let the tubes cool a little, then I use a latex glove to handle my tubes. It keeps finger oil off the glass surfaces, and also helps to get a good grip with removing and installing the tubes.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
miner.......I swapped tubes many times in my C2300. It is simple. First, unplug the preamplifier from power. Remove the screws that secure the top cover, gently lift the rear of the cover and pull back. There is a bit of sticky material along the front edge that has to release, but is not a problem. Once the cover is removed you will see the support bar that goes across the six tubes. Remove the screws from each side of the support bar, and lift the bar out. Now, simply grasp the tube, and gently wiggle and pull it out of the socket. Reinsert your new tubes, reinstall the tube support bar, the top cover, and plug the preamp back in. You are in business. It is easy, and simple. Once you have done it, you will be a pro.

Congratulations on the C2300. It is a beautiful preamplifier.
Also, it is always good to insure you leave no finger-prints (oils) on the tube. As a precaution I always wear latex gloves when handling all tubes.

Oh, and you are a traitor. Long live the C2200!!

Enjoy!!
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 05-06-2010, 08:54 PM

Congrats on the C2300. And I agree on tube handling. Wear a glove or use a cloth to hold the tube. Also when taking out and inserting tubes, be sure to gently take them out and insert them so as not to damage the pins at the bottom. Not hard to do at all. Just requires attention to detail that's all. Enjoy your new toy.