Originally Posted by ariess View Post
Has anybody tried Sigmas yet? Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Yes currently listening to one of each, full report soon
Old 12-07-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
Has anybody tried Sigmas yet?

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
I replaced Anaconda cables to my amp and DAC with a Sigma Analog for the amp, and Sigma Digital for the DAC. Curiously, on my DAC, the Anaconda performed much better than the Alpha Digital. I've also tested the Sigma Analog and Digital on my Plasma TV compared to the Anaconda which I had previously been using.
First off, let me say I loved the Anacondas, they were and still are fantastic performers in every respect (Resolution, PRAT, soundstage). And they are a substantial improvement over the Cobra and Python both of which I have tried. Shunyata is excellent at providing real, audible (or visual) improvement with each step up in the product line.
I was a little nervous about the upgrade to Sigma, honestly, as my system was sounding both highly resolved, musical, and "analog" with the Anacondas. I thought how could things get much better? I was also a little worried, as the Anaconda outperformed the Alpha Digital on my DAC and plasma TV by quite a bit.
Boy was I wrong to worry! The improvement with the Sigmas over the Anaconda are on par with the improvement in the Anaconda over the Python and almost as big as the Anaconda improvement over the Cobra.
In terms of what I have heard, I was first amazed by the improvement in resolution. Suddenly all kinds of background sounds are audible which I never remember hearing before. Almost like I've taken another step closer to the microphone feed. Strings are plucking in a three dimension soundstage unlike I have ever heard. There is no harshness to the presentation at all. There is a beautiful full resolution of overtones, and fading of cymbals/piano/voices in a highly realistic way. I'm just blown away by how these cables have further improved everything top to bottom and in the end given me an even more musical sound. It's just fun to listen to.
I also noted an improvement when I was testing the Sigmas on my Plasma TV. The Digital was better then the Analog version with lower pixel noise leading to the appearance of higher resolution.
Also, I found these cables to begin performing better than my Anacondas almost right away. It didn't require the 400-500 hours of break in like it did when I moved from the Python to the Anaconda. During that period, often the Anaconda sounded worse then my Python until it finally broke in and then outpaced the Python. That's a great improvement in and off itself, it was always a little frustrating to have to break in the cable for weeks before it sounded great. With the Sigma, it sounds great right away, and if there is further improvement to be had over the coming weeks that would be spectacular!
It's just great to have a company like Shunyata where one can reliable expect such substantial improvements. The Sigmas are truly a spectacular achievement!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:28 AM

Excellent post, DMelby

My experiences have been quite similar to yours.

I have used Shunyata power cables for many years, not exclusively, but in the majority of cases. Whilst I was a bit alarmed at the pricing of the Zitron series, I found the Python and the Anaconda to be a large generational leap in performance, vs Alpha Helix to CX, which I found more incremental.

I did find some of my equipment delivered "more" with the Anaconda than the Python, but with other components I could hear little or no difference.

I have also bought all the Alpha series cables. I have a relatively modest system wired completely with these. A "bigger" system wired with a combination of Zitron and Alpha PC, and the "biggest" system wired exclusively with Zitron cables.

Whilst the Alpha cables are excellent, I did not find them a replacement for the larger and more expensive Zitron cables (I think they are better than the Cobra, particularly the Alpha HC). I would guess this comes down to individual components, how these form an AC "system", other influences on the AC line, and just how much external EMI/RFI there may be about the place. More than anywhere else, when it comes to AC, YMMV.

I ordered a Sigma HC, which finally arrived last week. I would not normally order something like this without hearing it first, as I did with the Zitron power cables when they first came out. But I assumed if these were replacing Python and Anaconda, I wasn't taking too much of a risk, as I needed another Anaconda anyway.

I did get an incremental improvement with the Sigma HC over an Anaconda from wall to power conditioner; a more open and extended top end, with all the bass and mid range goodness intact.

But then after 3 days in that position, I then placed it from power conditioner to amp (Burmester 911). Now the improvement was not incremental, it was fundamental. This is most evident in the top end, where the Sigma is much more transparent, yet at the same time sweeter and more refined. Normally, at first blush of an apparent increase in resolution, it can be a leaning off of mid bass or lower mid range to give the semblance of more detail. Which gets irritating. Not here, not at all. It has all the power and fullness of the Anaconda, just with much better resolution.

The Sigma HC is a towering achievement. At the price, I am not going to rush out and re-cable all my systems with Sigma. But right now, I need just one more
Old 12-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Quick update on my Sigma analog and digital experience. There was a fall off in performance as the cables broke in further, but now after another 100 hours on them, the performance is progressively improving and is now beyond where they were at to begin with. Further improvement in soundstage, detail, instrument timbre, easing in top end harshness. The music is sounding more relaxed. So these cables do need at least a few hundred hours on them to sound their best. The destination though is well worth the journey I'm still very impressed with the improvement over my Anaconda's.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:50 PM

Now at over 600 hours on my sigma digital and analog. The digital seems to have still been breaking in up to now. Soundstage and bass in particular seem to be continuing to improve. I didn't break in these cables with fans as I have done with several of my Anaconda's and Python's. I learned after the first Anaconda that I didn't want to break in slow on my equipment and did all subsequent Anaconda break in with a fan for a week. This nicely sped the process up. On the sigma I wanted to observe natively what happened to the cable over time. Figured maybe this new cable might behave somewhat different. Also I didn't know what the endpoint was with the Sigma, unlike the Anaconda where I could hear pretty quick whether the cable was fully broken in or not based on past experience.
So expect similar break in times for these cables compared to the anaconda. And recommend considering a fan to speed up the process. Good news though, the journey is a bit more pleasant with less valleys compared to the Anaconda but there are definitely sometimes where I just didn't want to listen to my system for a day or two until it came back to life. But as others have posted before, the journey to the top of the mountain is well worth the effort.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:21 PM

For anyone interested....

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipmen...yata_sigma.htm
Old 08-14-2015, 03:12 PM
From the BAT cave ...

A very enjoyable read indeed. Congrats!
Old 10-29-2015, 02:40 PM

I'll tell you what. I found a one meter Sigma Analog on the secondary market. Based on some commentary from Caelin about the length of the Sigmas being a non-event, save for subsequent resale and logistics, I bought it. Apparently the magic in the Sigma is in the connectors more so than the tubes. So long as it will fit, go for it, is my take on the Sigmas. Indeed, I had read that Caelin himself uses several one meter cords to alleviate cord cluster.

I couldn't get a good read from the seller on how much use the Sigma had tallied up. He said he didn't really believe in cable burn-in but did believe in system warm-up between a half and a full hour before listening. I supposed, as the Sigma line is pretty new yet, this might present an opportunity for me to pick up a first rate cable that sounded unsatisfactory to him.

Enthusiastic, I plugged it in right away on my tube preamp. I will honestly say this has been the worse sounding cable I have ever heard. Ha. Worse than a stock cord or whatever. I've probably endured maybe 50 hours with it in my system.

Like any even-minded enthusiast I have concluded there's nothing wrong with it -- only that the cable saw even less service before entering my hands than I had imagined. It has been pulled. A burn-in adaptor arrives first of next week. Some of the burn-in times reported, while varied across the board, are staggering. Great right out of the box, only gets incrementally better. Or on the other hand, 600 hours before it starts to settle in?

I plan to put this Sigma on a lamp, on a humidifier, even on the refrigerator and see what we can achieve. I shall conclude my little correspondence here by saying I have high hopes, as Shunyata has never let me down, but this Sigma is going to be a tough nut to crack. Meanwhile, the cord in repose on my sofa until the burn-in adaptor arrives, I might try and just stare it into submission; but thus far, a metaphoric Mexican standoff has been effected.

Last edited by MisterBritt; 10-30-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:45 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemusic View Post
Yes currently listening to one of each, full report soon
Is it "soon" yet?
Old 11-01-2015, 09:29 AM

Hi Mr. Britt,

Although each listener and system may be different, the general consensus among many I talk to, including my own listening would be one full week to ten days of steady use before the Sigma (Analog or Digital) stops going through substantial change. You may find that number to be 1-4 days longer for the HC model. There may be refinements still to come after, but 1 complete week of use gets past the most troublesome parts of break in (generally). We make the adaptors for just that purpose and recommend a fan or a combination of a fan and a 60-75w light, alternating. I use my dehumidifier while turned up for constant running. Refrigerators don't run continuously, so I'd skip those.

The Analog model has received the most feedback of the three models and it has been very consistent in terms of results, so hang in there and give it a full week before deciding. Yours is likely at 25-75 hours, where performance would be at its most unstable.

There is much more than the CopperConn connectors that contribute to the Sigma performance. The VTX (hollow core) cryo-treated conductors are significant as are the micro-filters used to isolate noise. Even the termination methods and alloy being used are obvious factors. Each cord is treated as a mini-system of micro-managed and treated parts and they all play a noticeable role in creating the overall result.

Feel free to contact us with any questions.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research