AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 07-10-2020, 02:49 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
I've had several Anacondas during the years. Then came Sigma HC. This was the best by far. Now XC's they are that step up again (atleast!). When I switched 2 Sigma HC's to Sigma XC for my Tv3's it was a component level upgrade. DMelby is merely confirming what I already know there. But it was nice to correlate this point about the XC's.
Yep, the new XCs are awesome...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem321 View Post
DMelby,

Thanks for that great response to crion2's questions regarding % of improvement of each upgrade with the new Shunyata products given that each individual's results may vary because of a myriad of factors. I like that you were able to rate each upgrade in a relative fashion.

My question to you: When you say "40%" better, specifically, what do you mean? Are we talking about specific improvements (e.g. better bass, density of tone, soundstage)? A 40% improvement in sound quality at this ($$$) level is HUGE in audio terms. Just wanted to better understand how you define the 40%.
Lem321 I was thinking of 100% as a twice as good, so yes these are quite the step up. In fact, I'd say the step up from my old cables which were sigma level to the XC was by far the biggest improvement of any Shunyata power cable I've tried over the last 8 years. Typically I'd rate prior improvements something like 20-25% better than the prior generation. These are much more improved, Shunyata has unlocked something truly special in their products over the last year or two, and accelerating with the releases this year. To frame it in another context, I think that the XC addition was even a bit bigger impact even when I first added a Typhon QR. Now, I think the XCs are just unlocking the true potential of the Triton or Typhon or Everest but they seem essential to my system really singing. Puma makes excellent points, these latest gen Shunyata cables and the Everest especially are just better all across the board from bass to treble to resolution to soundstage - all the normal descriptors. They bring music to life! So much closer to live music than I thought was possible.

Last edited by DMelby; 07-10-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:15 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMelby View Post
Lem321 I was thinking of 100% as a twice as good, so yes these are quite the step up. In fact, I'd say the step up from my old cables which were sigma level to the XC was by far the biggest improvement of any Shunyata power cable I've tried over the last 8 years. Typically I'd rate prior improvements something like 20-25% better than the prior generation. These are much more improved, Shunyata has unlocked something truly special in their products over the last year or two, and accelerating with the releases this year. To frame it in another context, I think that the XC addition was even a bit bigger impact even when I first added a Typhon QR. Now, I think the XCs are just unlocking the true potential of the Triton or Typhon or Everest but they seem essential to my system really singing. Puma makes excellent points, these latest gen Shunyata cables and the Everest especially are just better all across the board from bass to treble to resolution to soundstage - all the normal descriptors. They bring music to life! So much closer to live music than I thought was possible.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:49 PM

see below

Last edited by lem321; 07-11-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMelby View Post
DMelby
Thanks for your response. Your examples of previous improvements of "20-25%" with previous Shunyata products and the comparisons with adding the XC cables vs. the Typhon QR puts your numbers in a context I can understand.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:25 AM

Just installed the Sigma XC today. Alot of anticipation. costs near 7% of what my total system costs and is easily the most I have spent on a PC.

It takes a little while to make an impact. Maybe 5 mins? I simultaneously put a V2 alpha on my high amp (above 300 hz - previously Alpha V1) and installed new Venom xlr's between low pre-amp and power amplifier (below 300 hz - previously generic). so observations that follow are coloured by this.

I was in another room when i heard it. The PC's effect is quite visceral. The effect is to make music more dynamic. A drum has impact. Weirdly it de-shrills things too. you turn it up and it's not jarring in any way.

Even a single note has different bits. It isn't one of those resolution things, straining to hear a player's chair squeak type thing. a note is like 3d in the house and you hear multiple bits of it. but its felt. not heard in a way. again it isn't some high resolution cold thing. it's not cerebral in the best possible way.

Involvement is a good word. When I first got into hifi (around 2 years ago) i bought a few HD albums of "classics" that i figured i "should" listen to. stuff like Marvin Gaye's "What's going on". Back then I put it on my new (to me) stereo. it sounded cold, dead and awful.

Today listening to a New Order song (most rock/pop etc sounds immensely flat compared to a chesky audiophile recording etc. so i figure this example still counts), it was the best version of that song I had ever heard. It was interesting and it wasn't just that i could hear new data in it. It is that it was sucking me in. I wasn't pontificating about noise levels. I was just enjoying the song as much as I ever have.

I have it feeding a Shunyata AU8 PD btw.

If you can trial one i would recommend doing so. you won't have to wait long to find out if it will do anything for your system. half a day and you'll know for sure. i did wonder if given less current draw required in 240V Australia it would make much of a difference. for the first 3 minutes after putting it in i thought - "this is no different". but then the hard stop nature of some notes gets your attention. things start quicker and stop quicker and suddenly you are hearing stuff and it is sounding very interesting!
Old 08-24-2020, 08:23 AM

My Sigma XC which will replace my Alpha HC is due to arrive Wednesday. I should have it in my system by Thursday pm. Hoping that I get the same results as others even though my amps will not be connected.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:49 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
My Sigma XC which will replace my Alpha HC is due to arrive Wednesday. I should have it in my system by Thursday pm. Hoping that I get the same results as others even though my amps will not be connected.

I am all ears Jim. I have my amps direct into the wall and very interested in your thoughts.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 08-24-2020, 02:00 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
Just installed the Sigma XC today. Alot of anticipation. costs near 7% of what my total system costs and is easily the most I have spent on a PC.

It takes a little while to make an impact. Maybe 5 mins? I simultaneously put a V2 alpha on my high amp (above 300 hz - previously Alpha V1) and installed new Venom xlr's between low pre-amp and power amplifier (below 300 hz - previously generic). so observations that follow are coloured by this.

I was in another room when i heard it. The PC's effect is quite visceral. The effect is to make music more dynamic. A drum has impact. Weirdly it de-shrills things too. you turn it up and it's not jarring in any way.

Even a single note has different bits. It isn't one of those resolution things, straining to hear a player's chair squeak type thing. a note is like 3d in the house and you hear multiple bits of it. but its felt. not heard in a way. again it isn't some high resolution cold thing. it's not cerebral in the best possible way.

Involvement is a good word. When I first got into hifi (around 2 years ago) i bought a few HD albums of "classics" that i figured i "should" listen to. stuff like Marvin Gaye's "What's going on". Back then I put it on my new (to me) stereo. it sounded cold, dead and awful.

Today listening to a New Order song (most rock/pop etc sounds immensely flat compared to a chesky audiophile recording etc. so i figure this example still counts), it was the best version of that song I had ever heard. It was interesting and it wasn't just that i could hear new data in it. It is that it was sucking me in. I wasn't pontificating about noise levels. I was just enjoying the song as much as I ever have.

If you can trial one i would recommend doing so. you won't have to wait long to find out if it will do anything for your system. half a day and you'll know for sure. i did wonder if given less current draw required in 240V Australia it would make much of a difference. for the first 3 minutes after putting it in i thought - "this is no different". but then the hard stop nature of some notes gets your attention. things start quicker and stop quicker and suddenly you are hearing stuff and it is sounding very interesting!
Hi Mr Gray,
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Sigma XC and Alpha V2 power cables. Your experiences are very consistent with mine, these power cables create an experience that takes us away from the conventional audiophile-type descriptions of things like resolution, transparency, etc., etc., to a language that should be more descriptive of what fine musical instruments and musical performances sound like. And, as for involving, there's that in spades, too. When I was first evaluating these cables, I kept find myself getting lost in the music, and lulled away from the "audiophile analysis" frames of mind we've historically used to try to describe what we're experiencing. Which is, lest we forget, is the entire point.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post

Great post! Thanks for sharing your experiences!