AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > ModWright Instruments

ModWright Instruments Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:36 PM

The Oppo BDP-83 (SE or SE NuForce Edition) had gain quite a reputation. In fact, most are now aware that Ayre, Theta and the like are using this as the foundation for their new Universal Bluray player release but the price are like many fold over.

I am very proud to share that I am now a owner (and a very proud one) on the NuForce Edition, to which I am waiting for its arrival in 10 days time. It cost me S$2k, converted to be around US$1.3k.

There will be improvement machines in the future but certainly, with this kind of pricing, the pain is so much lesser - to me that is.

Cheers!

Last edited by JSCC; 06-16-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:33 PM

Greetings,
I have had the good fortune of knowing Dan for several years now. He has done a few mods for me over the years (Perpetual Technologies power supply; Denon DVD2900). I met him several times at the THE Shows and the CES. Dan's modified Oppo BPD-83 sounded amazing at last year's RMAF. I actually bought one for him to modify, when the SE version came out. We made arrangements, that the 83 sent back to Oppo for the SE conversion, then back to Modwright for Dan's mods. I received his modified BPD-83SE just in time to use for this year's THE Show in our NFS Audio room.
I love this Oppo! I hear detail and musicality I haven't heard before. CD's that scream with digititis sound much more tolerable! Well recorded ones just sing. There is no lag time between disc insertion and music like my old Denon. I also like that it is a true universal player. I don't have many SACD's nor music DVD's, but I can finally play them, included ones that were burned for me. for the combined price of the BPD-83SE and Dan's mods, I think you are getting a great player at a very reasonable price!
Mike
Old 06-19-2010, 12:54 PM
From the BAT cave ...

I love my Oppo BPD-83SE. I cannot imagine how much better a NuForce or Modwright mod would sound. Congrats to each of you!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
I love my Oppo BPD-83SE. I cannot imagine how much better a NuForce or Modwright mod would sound. Congrats to each of you!
An Oppo is an Oppo is an Oppo. You cant change the roots right?

We all love our Oppo BDP-83se, in whatever mod it takes on!
Old 07-22-2010, 02:26 PM

A review will also be in the August Issue of Enjoy The Music, for the Oppo BDP-83SE with MCH mods.

Thanks!

Dan W.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:23 PM
The Architect

Default Finally some time to finish my review

OK...since I managed to take the day off and have a few hours with the house to myself, I was able to do some more dedicated listening and am ready to post some more of my thoughts regarding the Modwright modification of my Oppo BDP-83!

The short version is that I have never been more pleased from an overall perspective with any source unit I have heard in my system (which includes several at 3x or more cost than the Modwright). The sound quality of the player is extremely full, musical, well-balanced, and just right on to my ears. There is the just the right amount of detail, depth and width of soundstage, and presence at all frequencies. Piano and vocals sound extremely natural, and I am enjoying all types of music in ways I have not appreciated before. The player does not even resemble the stock BDP-83 in terms of sound quality, which was overly bright, forward, and lean in comparison. One of the most immediate differences between stock and the modified unit is the bass - it reaches lower with more depth but is also more musical. The soundstage is significantly more three dimensional as well. The additional dynamics and detail of hi-res recordings is much more realized compared to the stock player. Same with listening to uncompressed Blu-Ray soundtracks and music vs. their compressed counterparts - the differences are much more pronounced than with the stock player, and the soundfield is much more 360 degree with improved smoothness and balance when panning between speakers.

I will state that I have not had the opportunity to compare the BDP-83 SE to the modified BDP-83, but I have full trust in Dan's comments when he states that the modified 83 is significantly better. I have no doubt that the upgraded DAC in the SE and improvements that Oppo makes to the analog stage makes a very positive improvement. That being said, I believe that while the upgraded DAC is important, there is a lot more involved with the dedicated analog power supply and newly developed analog stage that Dan has developed that makes the biggest difference in the final outcome of the sound of the player.

I still plan on making a direct comparison with my Modwright Oppo and my dad's MVP881 when that opportunity becomes available - that will probably be a month or so out at this point. I have heard both in our individual systems, but not in the same system at the same time. The MVP881 is a fantastic sounding player, but I honestly am not hearing a significant difference between the sound quality of the two players based on indirect comparisons. The Oppo has a much better user interface and responsiveness - I am not impressed with the MVP881 in these areas, and I am really hoping Mc can improve those aspects of the MVP881 via firmware updates in the future. For me, having the combination of the video and UI prowess of the Oppo with the improved sound quality of the Modwright modifications creates an incredible universal player. Having the Modwright Oppo in my system does not give me any want or desire to upgrade to anything else.

Some may question why one would spend ~$1200 in modifications for a $500 or $900 (SE) player. Having a modified player is not for everyone, and I understand that. I would simply say that in a world of $11-25k + amplifiers, $6-25k preamps, etc., those who look at spending the money to upgrade their existing Oppo (either stock or SE) and bring it to an entirely different level of sound quality will realize a tremendous return on investment and will be very, very pleased.

Those are my thoughts for now...more comparisons to come in the not so distant future
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 08-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jeff.......Very nice update on your modified Oppo BDP-83. It is clear you are benefiting from the Modwright upgrade. I will be waiting to read the Modwright Oppo versus McIntosh MVP881 shootout. That should be quite revealing.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A