AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 03-30-2010, 05:27 PM
License to Chill

Default Krell Adds Automatic Room Equalization System to Evolution 707

I wonder how the Krell room EQ stands up to the MX150s (same as MEN220?) and something like Audyssey?

"This is without a doubt the best-sounding AV, two-channel and multi-channel preamp ever made.”
Ken Taraszka, www.hometheaterreview.com

We are excited to announce the release of the Krell Automatic Room Equalization System (ARES) for the Evolution 707 surround preamp/processor. Developed entirely in house by the Krell Engineering team, the new firmware optimizes the performance of the Evolution 707 in any listening environment. For true high performance, a generic off the shelf solution is never an option. We designed and built the Evolution 707 processor’s hardware and software to perform at the highest level and now with ARES, we have developed a specific tool to realize the Evolution 707 processor’s full potential in any listening environment.

The ARES upgrade is free of charge to all existing Evolution 707 owners and will be included in new units shipping from the Krell factory. All Evolution 707 processors have shipped with an ultra-linear condenser microphone for use with the anticipated ARES firmware. NOTE: Older Evolution 707 surround processors may require hardware updates prior to receiving the ARES firmware update. Please contact your Krell dealer or distributor with your serial number so we can determine if anything is required to complete the upgrade.

“The Krell Evolution 707 simply is the best AV preamp I have ever heard to date in my home, at any trade show or anywhere else, for that matter.”

ARES Highlights
Simple but not simplistic, ARES does not require a computer but uses on screen prompts to guide the user through the automatic setup and equalization process. ARES analyzes the speakers’ capability, position, phase and distance relationships to determine ideal crossover points, delay, and volume settings. Listening room surfaces, speaker positioning and construction play a pivotal role in the overall sound quality of a system. ARES measures these effects against the inherent performance of the system’s speakers and corrects for irregular surfaces, problematic speaker locations, and unusual floor plans. A 32 bit dual core DSP running at 1.8 giga operations per second computes equalizer filter coefficients and applies individual curves to each of the 8.4 output channels. A trio of user system memories provides greater flexibility and personalization than other systems on the market. Instead of an averaged result from various listening positions, three individual listening positions may be measured and optimized rather than compromised by an averaging-style system. Alternatively, system memories may be used for different speaker configurations so that one memory can be optimized for two channel listening with full range front speakers, a second memory for movie playback with a crossover and subwoofers engaged, and a third for casual, full range, all-speaker music listening. After each system memory corrects for room anomalies, an optional music or movie curve can be added to the corrected response for an enhanced listening experience.
The ARES operational range can also be limited to low frequency correction where a majority of sonic irregularities occur. Settings for operation below 63 Hz, 80 Hz, 125 Hz, and 250 Hz provide correction in the most troublesome low frequency range while leaving, unaltered, the upper frequency range that helps define an individual speaker’s sonic characteristics.

“Offering exceptional analog and movie performance … and an exceptional video scaler for analog sources, this piece is designed for the customer who wants the absolute best in an AV and music system.”

Last edited by Waboman; 03-30-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Well anything with the Krell name on it sure costs more than comparable McIntosh unit.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:45 PM

Jim, I don't know if you ever heard the Krell Evo 707, I have and that is a really state of the art product and one I would not hesitate to use for both serious 2 channel and multi-channel listening. I would not hesitate to run it as the only preamp in a system with speakers with a price tag of Maxx 3 and higher. I can't say the same about many other multi-channel preamps/processors. It is simply pure and transparent to the bone. It is a bit pricey but allows one a full solution.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:47 PM
License to Chill

And not by a small margin either. The Evo 707 goes for a whopping $30k compared to $12k for the MX150. Granted $12k for a processor still isn't chump change. I gotta find me one of them money trees everyone is talking about.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jim, I don't know if you ever heard the Krell Evo 707, I have and that is a really state of the art product and one I would not hesitate to use for both serious 2 channel and multi-channel listening. I would not hesitate to run it as the only preamp in a system with speakers with a price tag of Maxx 3 and higher. I can't say the same about many other multi-channel preamps/processors. It is simply pure and transparent to the bone. It is a bit pricey but allows one a full solution.
Serge
They did have one at my local dealer but he sold it to a customer who could not wait any longer for his unit. (Kind of like the MX-150's I think) I did hear it as part of the all Krell system in 2-channel and that system was very good. I really like the Krell sound but I am not willing to pay the premium they ask. I think their 402 lists for $16k and the 600 mono's for about $32k. At those levels I would also have to seriously consider MBL, Boulder, Gryphon and Burmester. Actually, I am very happy where I am at right now.
Jim
Old 03-30-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Serge
They did have one at my local dealer but he sold it to a customer who could not wait any longer for his unit. (Kind of like the MX-150's I think) I did hear it as part of the all Krell system in 2-channel and that system was very good. I really like the Krell sound but I am not willing to pay the premium they ask. I think their 402 lists for $16k and the 600 mono's for about $32k. At those levels I would also have to seriously consider MBL, Boulder, Gryphon and Burmester. Actually, I am very happy where I am at right now.
Jim
Jim, I also looked at a one box solution from the other brands you mentioned but not one of them offers anything like the 707. Obviously one only needs to consider the 707 if trying to combine serious 2 channel and multi-channel in the same room, otherwise Boulder, Gryphon, MBL would be on a higher priority list for me as well.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jim, I also looked at a one box solution from the other brands you mentioned but not one of them offers anything like the 707. Obviously one only needs to consider the 707 if trying to combine serious 2 channel and multi-channel in the same room, otherwise Boulder, Gryphon, MBL would be on a higher priority list for me as well.
Serge, no I did not look at it for its multi-channel capabilities. My HT needs go no further than a good receiver. Sports and the occasional music DVD are well served by a receiver.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Serge, no I did not look at it for its multi-channel capabilities. My HT needs go no further than a good receiver. Sports and the occasional music DVD are well served by a receiver.
I hear you. I wouldn't go any higher either if I wasn't trying to combine both 2 and multi.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Well anything with the Krell name on it sure costs more than comparable McIntosh unit.
Not trying to start anything...but...
A LOT of people say "Anything with the McIntosh name on it sure costs more than comparable Denon unit"
Old 03-30-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Serge
I think their 402 lists for $16k and the 600 mono's for about $32k. At those levels I would also have to seriously consider MBL, Boulder, Gryphon and Burmester. Actually, I am very happy where I am at right now.
Jim
402 = stable 1600 watts into 2 ohms...
600 = stable 2400 watts into 2 ohms...

I have an "acquaintance" that had tried Boulder, and many other names in the same category, and he now owns a Krell 402.

I have another "friend" who is very well aquatinted with McIntosh, Ayre, Boulder, etc..., and he now has a 402 with a 707 and a 505, as well as some other Krell amps for the surround channels and center, and he told me that in his opinion, there are very very few brands who offer anything that is comparable.