AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 04-22-2016, 05:34 PM

Default Pioneer Elite Kuro problem

Hi;

My Pioneer Elite PRO-150FD plasma just started exhibiting an issue where I hear a click then the picture goes black and the blue power LED starts blinking. It's an issue across all 4 HDMI inputs. When I power cycle the picture comes back. It's happened 3 times now since getting home about 3 hours ago.

Anyone ever experience issues like this and if so what was the cause?

I'm starting to freak out now.

Thanks,

Rod
Old 04-22-2016, 05:50 PM

First thing I'd do is open it up and look at the power supply, specifically the capacitors. There's lots of issues with electronics failing due to cheap capacitors used in power supplies on flat screens from that era ( 1999-2008 ). I'd bet you're Pioneer falls smack dab in that time frame.

Look for leaky or swollen caps. My 42" LG had issues similar to yours. I recapped the PS and it solved the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
Old 04-22-2016, 06:02 PM

Thanks, it's a 2008 model so right in the date range you mention.

I'm not comfortable opening it up so I'll have to have a service technician come and take a look next week, I doubt anyone works on the weekends.

Hopefully it's a part that's easily replaced. When the picture is on it's completely normal, no issues there thankfully.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:21 PM

Yeah, CohibaMan has the right of it.

Hopefully they can get the parts. My Samsung wasn't repairable.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:45 PM

Does anyone know if parts are actually still available for these TV's should I need a new power supply for example? I know Pioneer has been out of the tv market for years now.

Whatever is going on it's happening about every 20 to 30 minutes. I don't need to hard power cycle simply hitting the standby button once gets it back up and running.

The manual states that a flashing power or standby LED may indicate the internal protective circuits may have been activated. Going around the back I noticed that the mid to upper left hand side is quite warm but I don't know if warmer than normal. The unit always puts out a fair amount of heat anyways.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:10 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Hi; My Pioneer Elite PRO-150FD plasma just started exhibiting an issue where I hear a click then the picture goes black and the blue power LED starts blinking. It's an issue across all 4 HDMI inputs. When I power cycle the picture comes back. It's happened 3 times now since getting home about 3 hours ago. Anyone ever experience issues like this and if so what was the cause? I'm starting to freak out now. Thanks, Rod
I just some searching on avsforum.. Have you tried different HDMI cables? At least one person reported an issue a new cable fixed... You can dig deeper there.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-22-2016, 08:28 PM

Thanks, I actually have a mix of Kimber, a Sony branded one and one that came with my Xbox One. All same problem and on all 4 inputs so it doesn't appear to be a HDMI issue, well at least in relation to the cables. That's not to say there isn't some kind of issue in the HDMI board though which there could be.

Given the behaviour I'm seeing with it being so consistent in how often it loses the image and the LED flashing when that happens plus the note in the manual about this indicating protective circuits possibly activating I'm inclined to think a power supply problem. Perhaps when a certain temperature is reached.

I wish I was more mechanically and electrically inclined so I could pop the hood and know what I'm looking for.

I'm sick to my stomach of the thought whatever is going on can't be fixed or could be fixed with a replacement part but none will be available.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Racing Hoopties

Google the power supply issue. I had a similar issue with my 12 yr old Phillips. Found a thread online describing my exact issue. Then found the parts I needed and a DIY. Two weeks later my TV was resurrected.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-22-2016, 11:20 PM

After some searching around online I came across a thread over on AVS about issues with Pioneer plasmas and one matches what I'm seeing. The flashing lights are actually in a pattern, 12 flashes, then off for a short period then it repeats. This problem appears to be related to the internal tv tuner. The remedy is to go into the service menu and reset the tv. I'm trying that to see if it works. There was a couple different instructions on what to do once in the service menu, it may just be different instructions based on model.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:46 PM

Rod, I hope your Pioneer Kuro is easy to repair. I still love the picture quality of mine and it can't be replaced. My wife has it on all day and night and so far no problems. Mine is just a monitor so it doesn't have a tuner or speakers. When I first purchased it I thought I had a problem but it was just the cable box. When I switched out the cable box it has been fine.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira