Home Theater Novice to Sublime

View Poll Results: Which do you like?
Emotiva XCM-1 0 0%
Anthem AVM60 10 29.41%
Marantz AV8802a 24 70.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2016, 10:38 PM

Default Looking for advice on new HT AV Processor

So I'm in the research phase of getting a new AV Processor. Right now I'm running an Anthem AVM30. See my signature for the rest of the bits.These are the units I'm looking at right now:

Anthem AVM60 ($3000)
Marantz AV8802a ($4000)

No longer being considered:
Emotiva XMC-1 ($2500)

I had also been considering some used processors but I decided if I'm going to do this upgrade I might as well get the latest tech because I know it will be awhile before I do this again. I'm running a 5.1 system and it will never get any larger because I don't have the space. This will be used only for movies and TV. Well occasionally for XM when I'm cleaning house. For music I've got the Mac system in the den.

So what are your thoughts? I decided to include a poll to make it easy for who may have a preference but no real comments. Besides everybody likes polls.

Last edited by McPlanar; 03-16-2016 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added poll
Old 03-15-2016, 12:14 AM

If I was to by a new processor tomorrow the Anthem and Marantz would be my two choices especially since 2 channel is number one for me and multi channel is secondary. Why not save the G Note and go with the Anthem. What would you gain with the Marantz for the extra money? IMO not much if anything.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:38 AM

I just recently went through this process.

I bought the bottom of the range Marantz processor (7702) and hooked it up to Bel Canto Ref 600 monos across the front three channels and ref150s for the backs. Speakers were/are sonus faber cremona m across the the 3 front and sonus faber minuettos at the back. Cabling is Siltech.

i lasted about a month before i had to start looking else where. I ended up buying a Cary Cinema 12. It has way less functionality compared with the Marantz but if you want good sound you simply cannot compare.

i know that Cary wasn't in ur list but i just can't help but be disappointed with the Marantz as it was recommended to me by so many people.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:49 AM

I just replaced my Mrz AV8003 with 8802a and I am very happy.
User interface and functionality is better than other high end units.
I can set it up easily by myself and it sounded very good.
But to sound this good I support it with lots of goodies.
Cables that are more costly than 8802a itself.

I didn't actually set budget for this new AVP but I chose 8802a over
Trinnov, Datasat, Theta. They are too complex to set up(by dealer) to use and
Support for HDMI 2.0a HDR is doubtful.

Toga
Old 03-15-2016, 09:31 AM

My choice was to get a cheaper Marantz receiver and I then used its preouts into my MX 121 pre 7.1 inputs.

That way I get Dolby Atmos and DTS:X along with 4k, HDMI 2.0a, and HDR thru the Marantz but still the other things with the McIntosh.

Would probably think about the Marantz 7702mkII if you staying with a 5.1 setup. Its MRSP is $2200 and gives you all the bells and whistles for 7 channels
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 03-15-2016, 05:46 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
I just replaced my Mrz AV8003 with 8802a and I am very happy.
User interface and functionality is better than other high end units.
I can set it up easily by myself and it sounded very good.
But to sound this good I support it with lots of goodies.
Cables that are more costly than 8802a itself.

I didn't actually set budget for this new AVP but I chose 8802a over
Trinnov, Datasat, Theta. They are too complex to set up(by dealer) to use and
Support for HDMI 2.0a HDR is doubtful.

Toga
I also considered Datasat, and other higher end processors.
But in the end, with the advice of Kal and others, I went for the Marantz.
I must say it is a terrific device.
I compared the stereo pre amp function with my stereo pre amp, and while not totally at the same level, it is not that far.
Not only the sound is good (I listen a lot to multichannel SACDs), also the video processing is brilliant compared with the receiver I had before.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-16-2016, 12:43 PM

Thanks for all the great replies so far. I'm officially taking the Emotiva off the list. I'm starting to lean towards the Marantz. I might go look at one tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:25 PM

Honestly I still enjoy my Classe SSP-800 after listening to the new Marantz. I'm not an Atmos guy and prefer to listen to MCH analog in from my Oppo 105 via JRiver and JRemote on my iPad. Of course the movies sound better than going to the Multi-screen, especially from my 803D2's and HTM2D2. Good luck with your new Marantz.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:32 PM

I use the Anthem AVM 60 good processor. Kinda bare on features but has the ones you need and ARC does a great job of room correction. If you are looking for video processing this is not the unit to consider.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:40 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post
Honestly I still enjoy my Classe SSP-800 after listening to the new Marantz. I'm not an Atmos guy and prefer to listen to MCH analog in from my Oppo 105 via JRiver and JRemote on my iPad. Of course the movies sound better than going to the Multi-screen, especially from my 803D2's and HTM2D2. Good luck with your new Marantz.
Of course you do!
It's a top unit.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables