AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 08-25-2016, 10:26 PM

Default 800D3 Reviewed - Hi-Fi News

For those interested.....

The October issue is now on sale.

It's an ok review but lacking in the sort of detail that prospective buyers might want, such as how it compares with the older D2 model.

The tech measurements also look unexpectedly different from those published for the 802D3 model in December. Perhaps the measurement height was raised, which would explain the dip at 6kHz but the peak at 1.5kHz is still something of a mystery, and the tweeter appears to be higher in level.

Hopefully there will be a Stereophile review down the track which provides a more detailed and informative review, along with JA's methodologically consistent measurements.

Last edited by jdandy; 08-25-2016 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Attachments were removed because copying and republishing current issue content from a publication is a copyright violation
Old 08-26-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
For those interested.....

The October issue is now on sale.

It's an ok review but lacking in the sort of detail that prospective buyers might want, such as how it compares with the older D2 model.

The tech measurements also look unexpectedly different from those published for the 802D3 model in December. Perhaps the measurement height was raised, which would explain the dip at 6kHz but the peak at 1.5kHz is still something of a mystery, and the tweeter appears to be higher in level.

Hopefully there will be a Stereophile review down the track which provides a more detailed and informative review, along with JA's methodologically consistent measurements.
Thanks for the heads up Art Vandelay, just downloaded the issue on the iPad. The 800D3 is (to my eyes) the best looking of the new 3 series. The proportions are perfect.

The hifi news review doesnt compare the 802D3 but the "lab report" does say that the FR is similar to the 803D3 and "many other previous B&Ws".
From this report, it looks like the speaker is voiced with a tilt toward extra detail and air. I wish B&W would publish more info on frequency response in their literature, leaves so much room for error when publications do it w/o proper techniques or an anechoic chamber.

I agree, Stereophile / JA does a great job - hope they get a pair soon.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio View Post
Thanks for the heads up Art Vandelay, just downloaded the issue on the iPad. The 800D3 is (to my eyes) the best looking of the new 3 series. The proportions are perfect.

The hifi news review doesnt compare the 802D3 but the "lab report" does say that the FR is similar to the 803D3 and "many other previous B&Ws".
From this report, it looks like the speaker is voiced with a tilt toward extra detail and air. I wish B&W would publish more info on frequency response in their literature, leaves so much room for error when publications do it w/o proper techniques or an anechoic chamber.

I agree, Stereophile / JA does a great job - hope they get a pair soon.
I bet the measurements are off... The review is subpar as a read. It's like the guy just went to a dealer and wrote up on that.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:42 PM

I heard the 800D3s up at B&W's NA headquarters in North Reading,MA. Patrick spent time with me and a few others a few weeks back. It was a fantastic experience, and the talk that Patrick gave on the 800 series was super impressive. The 800s were in the new sound room, with Classe electronics. The upper and mid range were incredibly unreal and so convincing. However the bass was at times muddy and somewhat uncontrolled, with some degree of reverberation and unwanted resonance. This was surprising given the size of the bass drivers and motors (see photos comparing 802 vs. 803 drivers) and the professional nature of the room, however Patrick mentioned that the room needed some tuning and adjustment.

The HI FI News review was disappointing.....in fact the review mentioned that the 802D3s were actually more "euphonic", at least initially (When the reviewer was initially surprised that the 800s did not sound all that great.) I kind of got the feeling from the review that the reviewer felt a bit obliged to give them a higher score than the 802D3s (92 vs. 90) since they cost quite a bit more and are B&W's top of the line.

The 803D3s and 802D3s have both received great reviews, I heard both and really liked them quite a bit. So wanted to see what others have heard and are thinking: best new B&W speaker: 803 or 802 or 800?

Last edited by stjlinus; 08-27-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Adding photos
Old 08-27-2016, 10:03 PM

The bass anomaly is room related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjlinus View Post
I heard the 800D3s up at B&W's NA headquarters in North Reading,MA. Patrick spent time with me and a few others a few weeks back. It was a fantastic experience, and the talk that Patrick gave on the 800 series was super impressive. The 800s were in the new sound room, with Classe electronics. The upper and mid range were incredibly unreal and so convincing. However the bass was at times muddy and somewhat uncontrolled, with some degree of reverberation and unwanted resonance. This was surprising given the size of the bass drivers and motors (see photos comparing 802 vs. 803 drivers) and the professional nature of the room, however Patrick mentioned that the room needed some tuning and adjustment.

The HI FI News review was disappointing.....in fact the review mentioned that the 802D3s were actually more "euphonic", at least initially (When the reviewer was initially surprised that the 800s did not sound all that great.) I kind of got the feeling from the review that the reviewer felt a bit obliged to give them a higher score than the 802D3s (92 vs. 90) since they cost quite a bit more and are B&W's top of the line.

The 803D3s and 802D3s have both received great reviews, I heard both and really liked them quite a bit. So wanted to see what others have heard and are thinking: best new B&W speaker: 803 or 802 or 800?
Old 08-28-2016, 07:24 AM

Pity about the bass, thats what Classe do really well. Once that room is successfully treated the whole aural experience will be so much better. Are you returning for another listen/audition?
Old 08-31-2016, 06:58 AM

I hope to, since up at B&W /North Reading is probably the only place to hear the 800s in New England. the local dealer offers a 3 year trade in/trade up that expires pretty soon so I hope to take advantage of that. It's interesting that the crossover, wiring, etc. in the 800 is the same as the 802, so it is only the cabinet size and base drivers that are different.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:25 AM

Latest issue of AS has a brief write up on the 800 d3, from a visit to B & W in North Reading. The thoughts in that article (although it was not a review), seemed to reflect what I remember hearing---clearer and more pristine upper and midrange than the 802d3 (although the 802d3 was very very good), with a lower range that, although powerful and impactful, lacked focus and control. I'm hoping to listen to the 802 and 800's side by side somewhere to try and nail this down.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjlinus View Post
I hope to, since up at B&W /North Reading is probably the only place to hear the 800s in New England. the local dealer offers a 3 year trade in/trade up that expires pretty soon so I hope to take advantage of that. It's interesting that the crossover, wiring, etc. in the 800 is the same as the 802, so it is only the cabinet size and base drivers that are different.
No the crosso over is different. The cabinet construction is better, the plinth is different, there was also talk about different cross over points
Old 09-14-2016, 06:14 PM

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1XJRVKAYOs[/ame]

Great video.

Forward to 1:20 and hear what they say about the cross over.

No brainer, 800 over 802.