AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 01-05-2014, 01:50 PM

Default Magico Q and Pass Labs XA.5 Synergy

I recently purchased a pair of Pass Labs XA200.5's and am trying to decide between the S5 and Q5 as the next step in my system plans (described below).

My primary question is will 400 watts of Class A be able to get the most of the Q5's? Will the Pass Amp's be "exposed" by the resolution of the Q5 in a negative way as is discussed so much in various threads?

I am particularly interested in whether the XA200.5 will: 1) have the backbone to handle the difficult impedance curve and phase angles of the Q5's, 2) add a little needed (to my ear) warmth to the Q sound and, 3) have the speed and control to show off the Q5's remarkable capabilities.

I suspect I could worry about these issues a little less with the S5 given their easier load and bass voicing. I know other amps may excel in certain of these areas, but I have chosen the XA200.5's as my anchor (against the recommended protocols of some) because I just cant find anything I like as much as Nelson's Class A.

As background:

I listen to most genre's from classical to rock and have a particular preference for accurate, lifelike orchestral and acoustic and exceptional low level detail.

To give insight to my preferences, my second place Amp was the Dag Momentum. I just can't find a substitute for the magic of pure Class A (also have 24 foot ceiling peak and air return at peak to basement to remove heat).

Room 20' by 30' with 24' foot center vault ceiling.

Preamp - CJ GAT or Pass XP-30 (to be determined)

DAC - MSB Analog or DACIV Signature (to be determined)

Front End - MSB UMT Plus (digital only)

SC and IC's - need help

Unfortunately my dealer only has the XA160.5 and Q3 in house. I will need to travel to listen to the options but want to get some perspective from experienced ears first.

Thank you for your perspective,

Paul
Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 PM

You own a pair of monster amps that will drive almost any speakers on the planet. That said, I personally wouldn't assume that the XA 200.5s are up to driving the Q5s without a long listening session as proof of concept. Given the difficult load I'm surprised that there are only one set of binding posts on the Q5 - to me it begs for biamping (imagine your amps on the mids/highs and a pair of X 600.5s on the woofers ). Otherwise I think you probably need monstrous Class A/B amps to drive them.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:09 PM

Thanks Howard. That is my fear. I seem to recall a post online somewhere about a custom set of Q5's Alon did that had bi-amp posts. Interesting to ponder.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:13 AM

If it is of any help, I am driving Q5's with Marantz MA-9S2 class A/B monos and I am not running out of steam in a fairly big room. The Marantz amps are rated 300/600W but measured to 455/722W by Audio magazine in Germany.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:11 PM

Hello Dane,

Thanks for the help. Do you by chance know the max amps put out by the Marantz?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:51 PM

If you listen to any rock at all, I assure you, from experience you will be VERY disappointed with the lack of bass slam from the Q5s they are nearly impossible to drive unless you buy Spectral, Krell or some big Boulder amps. If you want the best all around speaker, buy the S5s and call it a day. I sold my Q5s and Spectral gear and bought S5s and some Vitus gear and couldn't be happier. Remember, the S5s have the same midrange driver as the Q5s.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
If you listen to any rock at all, I assure you, from experience you will be VERY disappointed with the lack of bass slam from the Q5s they are nearly impossible to drive unless you buy Spectral, Krell or some big Boulder amps. If you want the best all around speaker, buy the S5s and call it a day. I sold my Q5s and Spectral gear and bought S5s and some Vitus gear and couldn't be happier. Remember, the S5s have the same midrange driver as the Q5s.
Great advice!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 AM

Thanks Penthouse and Mike,

How to skin a cat?......Or said differently how to achieve the resolving character of the Magico Q with the bass profile of the Magico S and the sweet mid-range of Pass Lab's Class A?

At least I can dream......maybe Q3's with my XA200.5 amps and if I need more bass after room treatments add the Pass Crossover XVR-1 and a pair of Magico subs!!!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:23 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
At least I can dream......maybe Q3's with my XA200.5 amps and if I need more bass after room treatments add the Pass Crossover XVR-1 and a pair of Magico subs!!!!!
Paul.......That sounds like a decent plan.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-07-2014, 07:59 AM

Before you consider that, do the numbers. Those Magico subs are not cheap. May bring you to a new level. Maybe some big Focals. I've listened to Q3s numerous times and always walked away perplexed.