AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > D'Agostino Audio

D'Agostino Audio Master Audio Systems

Old 07-31-2012, 04:06 PM

Ouch...for me,the second pic is worst than the first one now, it looks like a stove !
I'm little bit disappointed while i love the amp
Btw, i will listem them tomorrow

Frank

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Last edited by Franklmu; 07-31-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Philip
The two "knobs" on the right are what have me questioning the design. I would have preferred only have the volume control around the ceneter meter and having the remote control do the rest of the work.

Jim
Jim,

Truth be told, like you, I was in fact quite taken aback when I first saw those 2 rotary knobs, as they somehow didn't quite fit or look the part in the overall scheme of things.

However, upon further reflection, if I had to make a guess (and I could be wrong), since Dan's meter and needle design is based on Abraham-Louis Breguet's watches, and given Breguet’s history in the development and manufacture of aviation-inspired timepieces, the rotary knobs are shaped like propellers. So I believe that Dan is trying to maintain a consistent theme here.

Personally, I would have preferred the meter in the center to sport a large digital volume indicator, as opposed to the needle. But then I guess Dan wants to keep the needle theme consistent with the monoblock & stereo amps.

Be that as it may, I myself do like things to have a certain amount of visual symmetry as well as uniformity. Other than the crescent-shaped indicator lights above the 2 knobs, in general, everything (meter, buttons & knobs) is circular in shape on the faceplate of the preamp.....but a tad too distinct for my liking (but that may change when I get to see the preamp in person).

Although I don't know the first thing about design, for me, if either side of the meter was populated by all buttons or populated by all propeller-like knobs, then in my view, that would give it the visual symmetry that I do much prefer.

Then again, the more I look at the propeller-like knobs, the more I kind of like them. In fact, coming to think of it, if mini propeller-like knobs replaced the buttons, the preamp would look quite unique and interesting - but I guess that's just me.

That being said, I'm not so sure if I'ed want to see just a volume control ring around the meter coupled with a smooth/clean faceplate, as I think it is useful/important that there is some sought of indication on the faceplate as to what input is currently in use as well as what settings the tone controls are at any given time, rather than just simply rely on the RF enabled remote control for control and/or indication. In addition, while it is important that the Momentum preamp and amps follow a similar theme, I also would want the preamp to be appropriately visually distinct from the amps.

End of the day, it would be interesting to see if other D.D. Momentum clients share the same view as Bob (vintage_tube), Frank (Franklmu) and yourself.

Having said that, it is safe to say that I'm currently neutral as far as the preamp's latest aesthetic form is concerned, but it remains to be seen if Dan's preamp can significantly raise the sonic performance bar when paired either with his monoblock or stereo amps - that is what I am most eagerly looking forward to finding out.

Philip
Old 07-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklmu View Post
Ouch...for me,the second pic is worst than the first one now, it looks like a stove !
I'm little bit disappointed as i love the amp
Btw, i will listem them tomorrow

Frank

Frank,

Now that you put it that way, it does look somewhat like a stove!

But hey, it may just turn out to be the best sounding 'stove' ever - fingers crossed!!

Philip
Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjl

Frank,

Now that you put it that way, it does look somewhat like an oven!

But hey, it may just turn out to be the best sounding 'oven' ever!!

Philip
Yes Philip BTW for my english, what is the difference between an oven and a stove ?

Frank

Old 07-31-2012, 04:28 PM

Philip
All valid points. As I said until I hear and see the unit I will not be making any purchasing decisions. My reasons include:
1) How does the styling look in person. I was never a fan of the Momentum's until I saw them in person. Photos do them no justice.
2) In my opinion, pre-amps contribute the least amount to the sound of my system. Spending a lot of money on something that IMHO will not significantly improve the sound is not a wise way to allocate audio dollars.
3) I already have a very nice pre-amp that includes a decent phono stage for my limited needs. I would have to add another box if I switch to Dan's pre.

Jim
Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 PM

An oven normally is for baking and broiling and will not include gas or electric burners for cooking, boiling or frying. A stove is usually a all-in-one unit that has burners and an oven below.
Oven

Stove
Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 PM

Thanks Jim

Frank

Old 07-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Damn, we touch on everything in this forum -- cables & their plusses and minuses, same goes for amps, preamps, speakers, isolation platforms, little squirts of this or that, deely boppers hanging all over the room (called room enhancements) and now stoves vs. ovens.

Who would have believed we'd be into the kitchen instead of the listening area 3+ years ago when this site was born.

Not me.

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:27 AM

Those two rotary knobs are pig ugly and look cheap. Change those Dan quick smart.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjl View Post

Folks,

Just learnt that:
  • there is a 100% bypass for the tone controls; and
  • the power supply is cleverly housed in a separate chassis underneath the chassis of the preamp, and is connected by an umbilical cord at the rear, which explains why the above picture shows some additional metal work which appears to be sitting underneath the preamp's chassis.
I also just learnt from another fellow AA'er that the price of the Momentum preamp looks to be between USD 32K-34K, which is somewhat on the high side (for me personally). Thus, even though I am still very interested in the upcoming launch of the Momentum preamp, it has to really be able to knock my socks off BIG TIME in order for me to consider raiding my bank account (or hopefully someone else's! ), as well as to be able to knock my Ayre KX-R preamp out of my current system.

We shall see!

Philip

Last edited by psjl; 08-17-2012 at 01:57 PM.