AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Mark Levinson

Mark Levinson Sound that Speaks for Itself

Old 01-27-2018, 09:55 PM

If you're really concerned you could send it in to one of the Levinson repair centers for an evaluation. That way if any of the caps were about to fail then maybe you could prevent a larger issue down the road. That said, I had an older Levinson dac and transport that were over 10 years old when I bought them and said to have lots of problems... the units I had performed flawlessly for 3 years before I sold them. I would probably just relax and enjoy!

George
Old 01-27-2018, 11:56 PM
Go Dawgs

Brad - That’s a really nice amplifier, I would’ve given anything to have been able to afford one of the 3 series Levinson amplifiers back in the mid 90’s. As far as the capacitor issue, I would venture to say if it’s lasted this long without any bad caps, you may have been lucky and may not have any issues other than aging. It’s been my understanding that the failure rate was so high it’s unlikely that it would have made it to 2018 without either replacement or just plain out good fortune. That being said, sending it in to an authorized repair center would confirm it’s up to spec.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 01-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Racing Hoopties

Default Levinson Reliability???

If the caps are bad on either side, you will know it. In the 333 I repaired for my buddy, it was very obvious. Crackling...

The repair itself took an afternoon and cost about $800 for the new caps from Cornell Dublier in North Carolina purchased from Mouser electronics.

There is a thread here where I outline the process.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 01-28-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the replies. I had the same thought, if it made it 20 years or so, it probably either had them replaced in the past, or (knock on wood) isn't going to have that issue.

I have been piecing together my system for 30 or so years. Upgrading here and there, when I find a good deal, usually from the used market. This is my 1st component of this caliber, and I am very pleased to have it. I traded it for a pair of Bryston 7BST monoblocks, that I had recently picked up for $1600, and $200 cash. Before that, I was using a HK Citation amp.

Anyway, thanks again. I will likely just roll the dice, and use it as long as I can. If I still have it in 10 years, I will consider sending it in for a refurb at that point. I have heard they charge a lot to service the MLs...
Old 01-28-2018, 09:52 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1138 View Post
I have heard they charge a lot to service the MLs...
From my experience, a lot will only cover about half of the cost.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
From my experience, a lot will only cover about half of the cost.

I think near or north of $2,000. The caps alone are about $800.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 01-28-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I think near or north of $2,000. The caps alone are about $800.
Yikes...

Only paid $1800, and 331/332/334/335 can be found fairly easily for ~$2000-$2400. I think I am better off just seeing how long it lasts. The HK Citation 5.1 (that's the model #) amp I used for a long time is a great amp, in a pinch I can buy one of those for under $500 and still be happy with my system.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:57 PM

I had a repairman who had worked for an ML dealer who offered to do my 331 as a preventative measure for $600 (including caps). He had done a number of them. This was about 15 years ago. I did not take him up on his offer, since I'd had no trouble. Sold the amp last year. Light use. Still no trouble.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:29 PM
Retired

brad1138 - too bad you are not a subscriber. Could probably hook you up with a good tech or two that could do any needed work for a reasonable cost. With no address shown, one could be just down the block.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-29-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
brad1138 - too bad you are not a subscriber. Could probably hook you up with a good tech or two that could do any needed work for a reasonable cost. With no address shown, one could be just down the block.
I just joined, can't access personal info yet, or create my own threads....