AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 07-13-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohippo View Post
On a very cold and dark morning I am wondering what multi channel amplifiers is everyone using with their SP3?

I have a 5.3 system. I am using 4 Classe mono amps for R-L and two surrounds. I also have a three channel amp (Proceed HPA3) but only using one channel for center speaker (so I basically have two spare channels if needed). Each sub is self powered.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
When I had the SMS-1 connected, I felt the sound was missing a little air around the music. Its hard for me to articulate, but my sound did not come back until I removed it. I thought the SP3 sounded better without it.
That's strange, because I assume you use the sub output from the SP3 to the SMS-1. I don't see how it could affect anything much above the frequency range to the sub, and such low frequencies shouldn't contribute to a sense of air.

For stereo, I go around the SP3 directly to a Parasound JC 2 BP; for surround, front LR from the SP3 is passed through the JC 2 BP, but the SP3 controls the volume to match the surround. It seems to me that the sound from the JC 2 BP is a bit better than that from the SP3, but of course it only has preamp duties.

db
Old 07-16-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
That's strange, because I assume you use the sub output from the SP3 to the SMS-1. I don't see how it could affect anything much above the frequency range to the sub, and such low frequencies shouldn't contribute to a sense of air.

For stereo, I go around the SP3 directly to a Parasound JC 2 BP; for surround, front LR from the SP3 is passed through the JC 2 BP, but the SP3 controls the volume to match the surround. It seems to me that the sound from the JC 2 BP is a bit better than that from the SP3, but of course it only has preamp duties.

db
I do not understand the need for an additional 2 channel pre-amp in the chain of the SP3. In fact, you may be compromising its sound.

I do no know why the SP3 sounds better without the SMS-1. It just does. Maybe, I am agreement with James Tanner in my dislike for room correction. I know that in the past, I have owned numerous quality equalizers and my sound was always better when I removed them.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:31 AM

For stereo, I am also bypassing the DAC in the SP3. I just feed it analog and use the 2 ch. Bypass option. The SP3 more of a switch box now.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
For stereo, I am also bypassing the DAC in the SP3. I just feed it analog and use the 2 ch. Bypass option. The SP3 more of a switch box now.
Can you use a sub when you do that? How do you do bass management?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Can you use a sub when you do that? How do you do bass management?

Thanks!

Yes you can use a sub when you do the 2 ch. bypass. As I understand it, the full signal still goes to the F-L speakers.
But if you have a crossover set, the signals below that crossover point are also sent to the sub(s) as well.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:04 PM

I wonder how it does that in analog? sounds like a low-pass but no high-pass.

Doesn't that mean you'd be doubling up on a lot of the low frequencies?

Anyway, I'm asking because I'm looking into doing things like that and just trying to figure out how everything would work. More interested in adding a separate DAC than pre-amp, though.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I wonder how it does that in analog? sounds like a low-pass but no high-pass.

Doesn't that mean you'd be doubling up on a lot of the low frequencies?

Anyway, I'm asking because I'm looking into doing things like that and just trying to figure out how everything would work. More interested in adding a separate DAC than pre-amp, though.

My speakers are not the greatest bass generators. So they benefit from the subs.

Also the subs are strategically located in the room to help control the deficiencies of the speakers and that of the room. I got help from Barry Ober.

There has been lots of changes in DAC design since the SP3 came out, so if I were you I would seriously consider the DAC route. Like I said, I no longer use the DAC in the SP3 for playing music; only for movies.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:52 PM

My stereo sources, balanced analog from an Ayre DX-5 DSD disc player and balanced analog from two Parasound JC 3 phono stages, go directly to the JC 2 BP then to JC 1 monoblocks that drive KEF Reference 107/2s that extend to below 20 Hz. The surround sources, HDMI from the DX-5 DSD and from an Oppo 105D go to the SP3 that passes front LR to the JC 2 BP, but low passes to an SMS-1 bass manager that provides LF acoustic room correction for a pair of HGS-15s.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
I don't know. I own the BDA3, however, I find that two channel from the SP3 using Stereo7 7.1 or Dolby Pro Logic Music 11x, sounds better than 2 channel on the BDA3 on most music. You do yourself a disservice not to try it.