AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 06-30-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
The stock cable delivered with them. Bummer - you reminded me of a cable I haven’t upgraded. Now, I’ll obsess ....

Sorry!
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 07-02-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfeTe View Post
Unfortunately not the 105 but the BDP-95. Going to my (also PSA) DAC the Memory Player totally blew the Oppo out of the water, especially in terms of the warmth that it gives you compared to the 95's more sterile/colder presentation. YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
PSAudio DSP/DMP combo playing SACDs via I2S is spectacular to my ear. Way beyond the sum of the parts.

Haven’t compared it to the Oppo, but I’m a big fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
The 205 brings the game much closer to the Memory Transport/DS DAC combo and is easier to use overall. But as with most things in the hifi world, the law of diminishing returns applies. For my money, the DS Memory Transport/DAC combo is hard to beat. Especially when Ted keeps upping the ante with new firmware updates.

Bear in mind though with RedCloud on the big DS DAC, if you are running it as a DAC (ie full volume) you may notice some clicks/pops with DSD sources (including the Memory Transport). PS Audio is aware of the issue and I expect the new firmware will fix it - but for now, the workaround is to run the DAC at 80 instead of 100 volume. Primarily happens on DSD files that have been mastered to louder levels
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I have no regrets with the DMP/DS DAC combination either. It really is phenomenal. Still using the cheap bundled HDMI cable. The alternative is too scary

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I have a feeling that I will have to start selling off some gear to fund a DMP. Fortunately, I already have a decent HDMI cable that I'm using with my DSD.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:53 AM

I have been following the progress of the DirectStream transport software re-write. It looks like they've corrected some, but not all of the issues owners have reported. In my case, I have only experienced a short "blip" in the sound (goes quiet for a split second, and only when playing SACDs), the other stuff, like album art (to me) is nice to have.

Some of the beta testers are reporting an improvement in the sound quality!

I'll wait till the software is in "generally available" status, then apply the update!
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 08-14-2018, 03:53 PM

Default PS Audio DMP v3.0.6 Firmware Update Released Today

Anyone who has a PS Audio DirectStream memory player, the new firmware version is available for download on their website today.

I've downloaded it and will have some time late tonight to give it a listen. So far, from what I've seen on the PS Audio forums, it seems to improve the sound quality.

More to come, please stay tuned.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 08-14-2018, 04:16 PM

Yup it does. Rather markedly in my system over 2.08.

The newest is 3.06.

Paul and Co will be releasing updated firmware versions every month or so over the next few months to address the last of the functionality issues.

Sonically however this newest one released yesterday is definitely top drawer and I thought it was excellent before. Now it’s really quite stunning.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:55 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddeophile View Post

The newest is 3.06.

Paul and Co will be releasing updated firmware versions every month or so over the next few months to address the last of the functionality issues.

Sonically however this newest one released yesterday is definitely top drawer and I thought it was excellent before. Now it’s really quite stunning.
Thanks for the tip, I just updated firmware to 3.06 - will see what its all about. Hopefully on this go around they addressed not having to open the drawer to replay the CD. No issues with sound on 2.08, excited to see the sonic benefits you mention
Old 08-15-2018, 07:41 AM

Yeah, they fixed that one. The DMP now behaves much the same as every other CD player on the planet.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddeophile View Post

The newest is 3.06.

I loaded the new version and auditioned some SACDs and "regular" CDs I'm really familiar with and WOW, the sound quality is significantly improved! I heard sounds I'd never noticed before!

Good thing Paul is offering to continue to work on the other issues. This release certainly is not where it needs to be (feature wise), but I think they "hit it out of the park" with the improvement in sound quality!
Old 08-15-2018, 01:00 PM

Agreed
Old 10-05-2018, 02:28 PM

Looks like v3.09 of the firmware is available for download on the PS Audio website.