AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 01-22-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
In the A/V world, a piece of equipment named 3.1 sounds to me like a 3 channel with subwoofer out device. L/C/R with sub. 3.1
heheh, has anyone looked on the back of the new 3.1 preamp yet, maybe there is an RCA center channel and sub output on it. Uh, NOT! just kidding
Old 01-22-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
There's a certain truth to that on a number of levels. When you spend time around Dennis, you'll soon find out that he is always excited about whatever project is under development. This excitement is contagious. It's one of the reasons for his success. That rolls in with an old amp builders joke, which he has shared with me more than once.

Question to the amp builder - What's the best amp you've ever built?

Amp builder points to his work bench - That one!

The Inspire shop is a place of continuous change and improvement. Unlike a larger commercial shop like places that start with a C and end with a Y, it's possible that every amp can be built with personal touches requested by the customer, and every amp can be slightly different depending on what current design improvements are being explored.

So on one hand, when you get to listen to a lot of the iterations as they come out, you notice that the sound is getting better, but it's in small steps. However, when you go back and listen to an older amp, the difference is much more noticeable. For example on Friday, we compared the Model 19 to an older 45 Fire Bottle and a newer 300B. The Model 19 threw a much bigger sound stage and was more precise in it's presentation. In all honesty, I liked the 45 amp better than the 300B, but that's personal preference based on the inherent sound characteristics of the tubes themselves, and that the 45's were NOS, while the 300Bs were new manufacture.

Part of what people need to realize is that the ideal perfect amplifier would do nothing except let the pure sound of the tube shine through, without adding anything of it's own. In general, Inspire amps do this well, and it then falls upon the listener/customer to decide what tubes they like and if the triode or pentode sound is more pleasing to their ear. That being said, the flexibility of Dennis' pentode amps in allowing the listener to change output tubes, rectifiers and driver tubes is unmatched in the marketplace.

Despite all this waffling and audio babble, the new Model 19 is a significant jump in the Inspire line, and should please any single ended fan with it's dynamics, tonal richness and sound stage that seemingly projects beyond the back wall.
That rolls in with an old amp builders joke, which he has shared with me more than once.

Question to the amp builder - What's the best amp you've ever built? Amp builder points to his work bench - That one!

I asked Dennis for a certain Inspire amp and sent him a pic. He came back with "You have to get the one I am just finishing." So I did. Therefore, with regret, I must inform you that I do have the best one ever. Just kidding. I've had it 3.5 years and it's not going anywhere. All of the Inspire amps are very good.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:37 PM

I recently purchased an AE Superamp MKII, what inspire preamp would pair the best? I believe I’ve seen LP1 LP2 LP27a and now the 3.1. Anyone know the differences between models?

Last edited by Loudinny; 01-24-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudinny View Post
I recently purchased an AE Superamp MKII, what inspire preamp would pair the best? I believe I’ve seen LP1 LP2 LP27a and now the 3.1. Anyone know the differences between models?
I'd be interested also, assuming this is even answerable in some meaningful way with regard to sound. I have an LP2, but that's the only one I've ever heard. I did have the flagship Cary preamp that Dennis designed back in the day, the SLP-05. When I first got the LP2 and KT150 combo, I went back and forth between the LP2 and SLP05 and found the LP2 had the edge (at least with the KT150). I was surprised and expected the opposite so I kept checking over a few weeks. Sold the SLP05!
Old 01-25-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
I'd be interested also, assuming this is even answerable in some meaningful way with regard to sound. I have an LP2, but that's the only one I've ever heard. I did have the flagship Cary preamp that Dennis designed back in the day, the SLP-05. When I first got the LP2 and KT150 combo, I went back and forth between the LP2 and SLP05 and found the LP2 had the edge (at least with the KT150). I was surprised and expected the opposite so I kept checking over a few weeks. Sold the SLP05!
You wouldn’t happen to know the chassis dimensions of your preamp. Trying to figure out room on my stand.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
You wouldn’t happen to know the chassis dimensions of your preamp. Trying to figure out room on my stand.
I have the LP27a. Chassis size of the Inspire preamps is 8"x10".
Old 01-25-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
They are all very good.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
8.25" x 10". 9.25" x 10" if you measure depth to include knobs and jacks.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
8.25" x 10". 9.25" x 10" if you measure depth to include knobs and jacks.
Thx
Old 01-27-2019, 11:33 AM

Well, I've been running NOS Amperex EL84's with proper adapters in my KT150 and they are right up there with my top favorites now! Kind of surprised at what this dainty tubes can do. Anyone know roughly what power output they provide?

So, now my favorite power tubes are these EL84's, =C= EL34's and =C= 6L6's. Modern Gold Lion KT77's after that.