AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 05-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Nice story. I met Julian at Columbia where I succeeded him (followed him is probably more accurate) as Classical Music Director of WKCR. I came to Columbia loving music but I credit Julian with helping me develop that into an obsession.

In addition to learning a lot from him about piano music and pianists (too many stories for this medium), he helped us create a live concert series to inaugurate our new auditorium. Artists included Gary Graffman, Leonard Rose and Claudio Arrau.

BTW, as a non-piano Audiophon recommendation, the live concert recording of Neilsen's Symphony #3 and the Maskerade Overture (Ehrling/DNSO) is still my all-time favorite for these pieces.

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 05-13-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Let me add that Peter recorded many more performances for Audiophon, a company formed by Peter and Julian Kreeger. They made about 50 LP and CD releases with a special emphasis on piano performances from Earl Wild to Valentina Lisitsa. (Julian has been a committed piano fan since before we met in college.) I cannot think of any of the Audiophon releases that I cannot recommend...................................if you can find them.

BTW, I spoke with Peter last evening (at a Linn/Atlantic Records/Innovative Audio gathering to promote HD downloads) and told me he and Julian will be recording something new on Monday in Miami.

Kal Rubinson..... Peter mentioned to me yesterday that he did about 25 recordings with the studio I am talking to, yet that is obviously not the "about 50 LP and CD releases" you mentioned here.

I just contacted Peter. He too told me about Audiofon, and gave me Julian’s contact information (and also mentioned that he knows you, Kal, very well ). I will call Julian and see if I can get any more information on the other albums they produced that are still in print and/or are available for purchase/download somewhere. I don't want to leave out any recordings he did!

I am still working with the recording studio that Peter used for a lot of his recordings (Harmonia Mundi - they were the ones that gave me the information I posted yesterday). They are putting together a list and link to Peter's recordings, and also a convenient way to buy them (if anyone wanted to purchase any of them - if it is still available).

Hopefully I will have even more information for all of you soon!

-Debby
Old 05-13-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks, Debby. Julian is probably the best source of information.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Wilson Gal

Default The latest information from Harmonia Mundi

Below is some more information which was sent to me today with album names and such with the ablity to buy them if you want as well.

Here is the link to Peter's current IN PRINT releases:

Search results for: 'Peter McGrath'

At the moment we can't pull individual links to tracks. It's all flash. We can only send people to the album page where they can go through each track. We're working on improving this!

Then, when it comes to Audiofon, I am working with Julian to get a complete list of recording they did together as well

-Debby
Old 05-14-2011, 12:33 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildebs888 View Post
Below is some more information which was sent to me today with album names and such with the ablity to buy them if you want as well.

At the moment we can't pull individual links to tracks. It's all flash. We can only send people to the album page where they can go through each track. We're working on improving this!

Then, when it comes to Audiofon, I am working with Julian to get a complete list of recording they did together as well

-Debby
Thank you for bringing this info to AA.

Everyone here needs to hear what Peter (and in the case of Audiofon) and Julian have wrought. In the case of HM, Robina and Rene too.

Our industry has always been full of technology used to justify mediocrity in music. Peter has spent his entire professional life running in the opposite direction, showing what technology can do in the service of music. I firmly believe this is why Dave and Peter have been on the same plane emotionally since they first met.

Again thank you for helping AAers to find Peter's recordings.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Hear to listen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildebs888 View Post

-Debby
Thanks, Debby...decided to pick them all up! One can never have too much good music!

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson
Old 05-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post

Again thank you for helping AAers to find Peter's recordings.
No problem! Still working on the list

-Debby
Old 05-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChiaro View Post
Thanks, Debby...decided to pick them all up! One can never have too much good music!
That's wonderful! Make sure to let us know which you enjoyed the most

-Debby
Old 05-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Hear to listen...

Well, my first Peter McGrath engineered recordings arrived (in amazing time!!) from Harmonica Mundi...just put the first disc in my player: Florida Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by James Judd playing Mahler's Symphony No. 1. What a cool disc...it's black and looks like a little vinyl record. May the pleasure begin...oops, just realized this is on the (non-Wilson) office system...Peter deserved better. :sorry:

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson

Last edited by BlueChiaro; 05-19-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChiaro View Post
Well, my first Peter McGrath engineered recordings arrived (in amazing time!!) from Harmonica Mundi...just put the first disc in my player: Florida Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by James Judd playing Mahler's Symphony No. 1. What a cool disc...it's black and looks like a little vinyl record. May the pleasure begin...oops, just realized this is on the (non-Wilson) office system...Peter deserved better. :sorry:

HAHA the CD looks like a mini record! That's great - I love it!!

-Debby