AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 08-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebunny View Post
Yes, sir! Padawan learner here.

Yup, Puma. I'm dissing my Mc preamp that I was worshipping just yesterday. Shameless me.

Ooo. Naturally, I had to open the case. I never see capacitors so big before.
That is, if those big white cylinders are capacitors. Hee. I'm soooo clueless.
Yes, those are the proprietary C-J Teflon caps; made for them to their specifications. I think C-J was the first to incorporate Teflon caps, IIRC.

You wanna see a lotta caps? Take a look inside my Premier 17...and there are no Teflon caps here, only polypros...

Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-09-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 PM

^^ Good grief! Talk about design differences: caps in the McIntosh preamp are of the itsy bitsy teeny weeny variety.

CJ caps look very intimidating and scary.

Oh, did anybody compare McIntosh preamps before settling down with CJ? Just curious. Sorry to be harping about McIntosh: it's the only thing I have to compare with. Thanks.

Rory
Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM

Default ETSE3 break in

I've had my ETSE3 for about a year and I'd estimate that I have 500-600 hours play time on it, maybe a bit more.

And I have about the same play time (a bit less maybe) on the ET250s amp.

Finally, the system sounds consistently (mostly) great with music, but even now it seems to take a step back once in awhile. (Oh, and it definitely sounds better after it has warmed up an hour or so.)

But to get here, I've had to listen to what doesn't sound like great sound for a long time. Patience grasshopper, indeed.

I can't leave the equipment on all the time, so I've spent a lot of time watching TV with the sound through the CJ equipment. Even with the break-in issues, cable never sounded so good.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
^^ Good grief! Talk about design differences: caps in the McIntosh preamp are of the itsy bitsy teeny weeny variety.

CJ caps look very intimidating and scary.
The Teflon caps would be even larger and more scary!!! Rawwwrrrr! (insert puma scream sound...) Just kidding...

Quote:
Oh, did anybody compare McIntosh preamps before settling down with CJ? Just curious. Sorry to be harping about McIntosh: it's the only thing I have to compare with. Thanks.
Rory
Nope; went straight for C-J as they have been famous for over 30 years for their preamps.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwardo View Post
I've had my ETSE3 for about a year and I'd estimate that I have 500-600 hours play time on it, maybe a bit more.

And I have about the same play time (a bit less maybe) on the ET250s amp.

Finally, the system sounds consistently (mostly) great with music, but even now it seems to take a step back once in awhile. (Oh, and it definitely sounds better after it has warmed up an hour or so.)

But to get here, I've had to listen to what doesn't sound like great sound for a long time. Patience grasshopper, indeed.

I can't leave the equipment on all the time, so I've spent a lot of time watching TV with the sound through the CJ equipment. Even with the break-in issues, cable never sounded so good.
Yep, yep....I can relate.

Yep, after 500 hours or so, there will still continue to be improvements up to 1000 hours or so. I bought my CT-5 with 300 hours on it in Feb 2011; it didn't sound very good with 300 hours on it, which is why I think the original purchaser sold it (prematurely). It took to July for it to make a breakthrough, and then another big jump occured in the Oct/November time-frame. Like your experience, I would say it took the better part of 2011 for the CT-5 to start to sound consistently (very) good.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-09-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 PM

If the road looks long..... it is. But after 300 hours you can start to truly enjoy the music and forget about the burning in problems. You will hear jumps in sound coherence and stage size around 600 hours and then once more at 1000 hours.

That said, after 300 hours I am willing to bet it will sound better than most other preamps on the market.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:45 PM

Okay, this forum must hold the World Record for the most friendly and helpful members!! Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me through. I learn so much here.

I think this is good therapy: taking a '180' away from the 'instant gratification' society programming and being patient, like Joe says. That said, I can understand why people may give up after 300 or so hours.

I have decided to keep the McIntosh - for the radio.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:10 AM

Ha!

Rory,

I think audiophile and 'instant gratification' are mutually exclusive. Sadly. Welcome to the club. I've been through it so many times, it becomes part of the process. It almost pays to buy used. I have to say that first session after the break in is complete is simply wonderful, kind of like chasing that first high
Old 08-11-2012, 07:15 PM

Thanks, Joe. I had to adjust my subwoofer as BASS has arrived!!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 PM

That's great to hear. I'm breaking in some gear and having a roller coaster ride. Some days are awesome, some not so good. It's a tough job, but if it doesn't kill me, it will make me stronger.