AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Continuing with my trek through the Leopold Stokowski - The Stereo Collection 1954-1975

I am listening to . . . Disc #14 which includes the wonderful Stokowski transcription of the famous Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D minor, and then a rehearsal of the same toccata with pauses and comments by Maestro Stokowski himself, proving that the orchestra didn't get it right the first time,

Beethoven 6th Symphony and a rehearsal of first movement of the Mahler 2nd Symphony - which is quite interesting.

All in all, this is a great box of CDs.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 07-19-2014, 11:22 AM

This hasn't been released yet (comes out August 12), but KUSC in LA played No.99 tonight--sounded great.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:27 AM

Dvorak this morning, listening to

Cello Concerto in B minor, Op. 104 B191
Alisa Weilerstein, cello

From this set:
The Complete Symphonies & Concertos
Czech Philharmonic
Jiri Belohlavek conducting

I find this piece quite beautiful, especially the 2nd movement (Adagio). The performance is moving, the recording excellent overall although the cello could be a little more forward at times.

D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 07-19-2014, 01:02 PM

And now, for something completely different......

Karl Ditters von Dittersdorf:
Concerto for Double Bass in E Major
Concerto for Harp in A Major
Sinfonia Concertante for Double Bass and Viola in D Major

Wurttemberg Chamber Orchestra, Jorg Faerber conducting
Georg Hortnagel, Double Bass
Gunter Lemmen, viola
Helga Storck, harp

Vox Turnabout 1966
Vinyl, mono

Very pleasant music and performance. Recording is fine as well, with the double bass clear and lovely harp tone. Not terribly detailed, but I'm listening on my small system with the refurbished AR XA turntable, small Luxman tube amp and Imagine Mini speakers, which has a very nice sound but is not terribly revealing so it's hard to be too critical of the recording - it's nevertheless a fun, pleasant listen.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 07-20-2014, 12:45 AM

Listening to . . . Mozart Clarinet Concerto K. 622

Anthony Michaelson - Clarinet
Michelangelo Chamber Orchestra

Anthony Michaelson is the founder/president of the British audio equipment manufacturer Musical Fidelity - he builds good equipment and plays a mean clarinet - This is an excellent performance of Mozart's gorgeous music and is well recorded and sound quality is excellent.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 07-20-2014, 01:17 AM

My wife and I attended the world premier of a new concerto tonight - at Sewanee - The University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee.

This concerto, as yet unnamed was performed by the Sewanee Symphony Orchestra - made up of the faculty and some of the students from the Sewanee Music Festival - A six week educational experience for a couple of hundred promising young classical musicians each summer. During the six week festival, two or more concerts are held each week at the University, and the group visits the Chatauqua community, where we have our summer home, twice each week and performs for us and our neighbors here.

What a great musical experience we have had. Unfortunately the Music Festival ends tomorrow with a gala concert at Sewanee, which we will attend.

Anyway, back to the brand new concerto . . . Written by Bela Fleck - the world class banjo player. . . It was a Concerto for Banjo and Orchestra - as I stated earlier - not yet named, but it was very enjoyable and the soloist/banjo player was . . naturally Bela Fleck himself.

Bela Fleck performed the banjo part in his concerto and then serenaded us with about 30 minutes of solo banjo playing - all classical, of course.

After the concert ended, we went to the University Chapel for another hour of superb brass performances. The chapel, a huge Gothic cathedral type of place, has wonderful acoustics and the 50 or so brass instruments completely filled the cavernous structure with the most wonderful sounds.

A great evening for us . . . and just had to share.

BTW - Bela Fleck will play in the concert tomorrow as well and will perform one of his earlier Concertos for Banjo and Orchestra

The interior of the Sewanee Chapel
And the exterior:
By the way - The publication "Best College Reviews" has stated that the Sewanee University - All Saints Chapel - is the 11th most beautiful college chapel in the world - Pretty good for a little Southern Episcopal College and University.

Last edited by AudioNut; 07-20-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:43 AM

Sounds like a wonderful experience. You are having entirely too much fun this summer.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:40 AM

Listening to . . . .A Baroque Harp
Judy Loman Performs Bach and Scarlotti
Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, Johann Sebastian Bach, Domenico Scarlatti

Judy Loman - Harp

To me, nothing is more soothing than the gentle strains of a well played harp playing baroque music, and Judy Loman can really make it happen. This is a perfect accompanyment to one's first cup of coffee, early on a Sunday morning.

Beautifully played, excellent sound quality - One of my very special treasures. Stunning!

Old 07-20-2014, 11:19 AM

Revisiting this recording this morning. Beautiful and peaceful on a rainy Sunday morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Bach: The Two And Three Part Inventions Glenn Gould Columbia/Sony 1964, 2014 reissue via 24/176 download Nice recording. I know many can't stand the occasional vocalizations from Gould, but I love his playing of Bach's keyboard works - his rhythm, pacing, and dynamics - and most of the time am no longer even aware of his occasional humming. Like Keith Jarrett, sometimes the expression of personal passion for the music actually enhances the performance.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:05 PM
A happy little vegemite..

Quote:
My wife and I attended the world premier of a new concerto tonight - at Sewanee - The University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee.

The interior of the Sewanee Chapel
Very beautiful - what fun you are having. Thanks for sharing.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 07-20-2014 at 07:12 PM.