AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-22-2010, 08:55 AM

Default Shindo Aurieges vs C220

Hi All,

hmm, well here goes.

I guess it can be brought down to this. Vocals on the Shindo were different than the C220, they took up about the same amount of physical space but on Riders on the Storm, Jim Morrison was more there. Thru the C220 I feel like I got more of an atmospheric quality, with the vocals feeling more recorded. With the Shindo a much more you are there quality. With Ray on keyboards. I feel like I am finally hearing him go to town. It was quite fun to listen too.

On Madeline Peyroux, the C220 was a bit more to my liking. If you will the strings were a bit "richer". Once again though the Shindo's vocal was less like a recording.

The cool thing about the Shindo, was that there was an immediacy to everything, not etched, or highlighting the leading edges, just no waiting. It did bring you to a much more live moment, than the C220. It didn't take away anything on my system to achieve that quality.

The Shindo also had a nice proportionality to it. Never more than you needed or necessary. In contrast the EAR line-stage that I had was, for lack of a better word Italian. Bold, sweeping gestures, a Ferrari if you will. Vocals that are much bigger than either the C220 or Shindo, it got it's life from dynamics and bold gestures, where the Shindo got it's life from not waiting around.

The C220 just fell in the middle of all of this, which if you think about it, isn't to bad of a place to be. I've brought my C220 to play on my dealers system and Neil's system, and I could hear it's weakness's. I guess that's why I am listening to all these pre-amps.

It's kind of like all audio systems, we are listening to echos of music recorded for us to listen too. With the Shindo it felt a bit less like an echo and a step closer to the source of the echo. The really good systems that I've heard, some very expensive and some not. They have that one thing in common, the recording echo goes away and the reality of the moment starts to come thru.

Ok that's enough me time

Mark
Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 AM

Mark...thanks for your great review. I have been intrigued by Shindo equipment. Have you had a chance to try out a Shindo power amp as well? I have heard EAR tube gear and I agree, the dynamics come through in spades. Looking forward to see if you stay with the C220 or move on to the Shindo or something else.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Mark...thanks for your great review. I have been intrigued by Shindo equipment. Have you had a chance to try out a Shindo power amp as well? I have heard EAR tube gear and I agree, the dynamics come through in spades. Looking forward to see if you stay with the C220 or move on to the Shindo or something else.
I've been lucky enough to hear an all shindo system including the record player. It's more of the same. I can really understand why people go this route.

Their amps don't play well with Quad's though...

Mark

Last edited by markc2; 05-22-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:18 AM

I hear you on the amp/speaker combo. You would need a much easier load for those amps. So I saw your comment in the Esoteric D-07 thread about missing the EAR 912s. Are you contemplating going back to EAR or you think you will stick with McIntosh for a while? Just curious. Thx
Old 05-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Visiting Shindo Labs — Matt Mullenweg
Old 05-22-2010, 02:09 PM

Rod,

Did you have to do that??? It's not like I don't already want this stuff so bad!!!

Seriously, thanks for the great photos (link)
Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 AM

Well at least I share one thing with Mr. Shindo, We both have Macintosh's...

Thanks for the pictures !!

Mark
Old 05-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Rod,

Did you have to do that??? It's not like I don't already want this stuff so bad!!!

Seriously, thanks for the great photos (link)
Will be watching your signature for signs of ChangE!!!