AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 01-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
No I didnt make it this summer. I did make it to jobbienooner. Oh Ya. Welcome to Jobbienooner.com! (do not open with young children present) I just bought a new Garmin Gps so I'll be making that trip next summer. Maybe even head to cedar point. Although the risk of being trapped by large waves is always possible. Lake Erie can change fast. Im NO captain. I went from my 20ft. to my 35ft. Huge change. Still getting used to it. I do alot of boating on Lake St.Clair, Detroit, and Erie. 90% on St. Clair. But I do like to head out for a weekend travel. Maybe head to old Boblo Island.
Your Correct PHC1 The exchange rate 5 years ago made a huge difference. Would be nice to visit a 3rd world country and buy an MX-150 for a couple thousand. It probably cost McIntosh $3000.00 to manufacture and they sell it for $10,000. Good profit. That's just a guess. We'll never know the true cost. Besides there are years of R&D involved.
Hmmmmm the term "Jobbie" You in the automotive design business? I remember those days!!! Sigh
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 01-19-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Here is a bit from Stereophile.
Thanks. That's a start. It still leaves a few gaps in the line -- in terms of prices.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:50 AM

Imagine what a MX-150 should cost in Zimbabwe with its gazillion % inflation!

I kind of agree with all that has been said here. We have a similar perspective over here with all those Chinese exports passing through our ports enroute to the US and Europe.

The Corvette comment was right on the nail. For its price the Corvette is a bargain (let's ignore the babylonian suspension and fisher price interior) but no-one can buy one because they are not made in right hand drive. Why are our roads full of bmws, mercs, audis, ferraris whose home markets have the wheel on the same side as the US.

For too long the US market was too americentric. Even now it drives me nuts when I try to buy something online from the US and it tells me to put in my state, which if you don't, will stop the order processing. Or huge multinationals like Ralph Lauren who won't ship overseas (except to GIs, Guam, Saipan etc etc). What do I do? I buy from Europe where the manufacturers have heard of the word 'export'.

I applaud the principle of buying local (if you want this idea taken to the extreme look up "the league of gentlemen", a British comedy where the local village shop will not sell to anyone who is not from the village) and Mcintosh is an example of a US company that exports globally albeit it at varying prices. Now if only the others would follow suit.

Now where's my 230V Mcintosh MPC1500? !!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Against the Tide

From EnjoyTheMusic.com.....with prices!

Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series has experienced five generations of their award winning 800 Series. The new 800 Series Diamond builds on that legacy, with improved performance and, for the first time, the inclusion of a diamond dome tweeter in every speaker in the seven-model range. Advances in audio-critical areas provide the entire range with a leap forward in terms of audio quality compared to the outgoing 800 Series. The diamond dome tweeter is now a quad-magnet design, which increases efficiency and improves the dynamic range of the top-end performance. A new surround material aids dispersion characteristics, and provides a more stable stereo image while increasing openness. At the other end of the tonal scale, bass performance has also improved with the introduction of a new dual magnet motor system, which utilizes powerful neodymium magnets. This innovative design improves the linearity of the bass drivers' performance, therefore reducing harmonic distortion. New Bowers & Wilkins-designed oxygen-free-copper speaker terminals and links ensure the signal quality into the speaker is the best possible. All models' crossovers feature a new design of capacitor using a unique silver, gold and oil construction. Proprietary Bowers & Wilkins technologies such as Kevlar FST mid-range drivers, Nautilus tube-loaded tweeters, Matrix enclosures and the unique sphere/tube heads on the two largest speakers in the range. Enjoy the Music.com has reviewed the Bowers & Wilkins DM602 Series 2 (click here), Nautilus 800 large floorstanders (click here) and their reference 800D floorstanding studio/home speakers (click here). Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Diamond is available from February 2010 and priced as follows:

800 Diamond $24,000 per pair
802 Diamond $15,000 per pair
803 Diamond $10,000 per pair
804 Diamond $7500 per pair
805 Diamond $5000 per pair
HTM2 Diamond $5000 each
HTM4 Diamond $2500 each

Old 01-27-2010, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the information and for finishing out the pricing structure.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Against the Tide

You are welcome...

Interesting on the 802 pricing over the different series and years. Inflation and a weak Dollar...

N802 8000.00

802D 12000.00 then to 14000.00

802 Diamond 15000.00
Old 01-27-2010, 09:49 PM

... and I remember that my dealer said they might roll back that last increase if the dollar/pound situation improved.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
... and I remember that my dealer said they might roll back that last increase if the dollar/pound situation improved.
If memory serves, it has improved from something close to 2.0 : 1 when they jacked up the price, almost 2 years ago, to about 1.62 : 1 today. Oh well.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 PM

I remember one of my old economics teachers saying to the class "prices are sticky upward."