AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 12-14-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I understand that but there has to be a better balance... Do you not agree or do you simply ignore the current US trade deficit? I do not embrace the "protectionism" concept but it seems our exports are sliding further and further, improving only slightly during the times of weakening dollar while the imports are at an all time high? As far as cars, I've owned all of the above you mentioned at one time or another except KIA. The latest being a BMW made in South Carolina. I've also made American cars that were made over seas.
Simply put, when we purchase products from overseas, it is because the marketplace has decided that they fullfill a need, generally at a lower cost and/or higher quality than a locally made product. Having these goods available to us in this fashion improves our overall standard of living.

The way for us to export more is to do the same with the products we sell in the markets of our trading partners. For example, we spent decades trying to sell large gas guzzling autos in countries with tiny roads and enourmous gas prices, and complained about "unfair trade".

So, no, the trade deficit does not bother me, except that it shows we are not as competitive producing goods that other countries want to purchase as we should be. Much of this uncompetitiveness is self inflicted thru overregulation by the government that increases our costs relative to the global marketplace.

If trade was truly "free", and the US has as many tarriffs and trade barriers as anyone, we would be better off.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefer11 View Post
Simply put, when we purchase products from overseas, it is because the marketplace has decided that they fullfill a need, generally at a lower cost and/or higher quality than a locally made product. Having these goods available to us in this fashion improves our overall standard of living.

The way for us to export more is to do the same with the products we sell in the markets of our trading partners. For example, we spent decades trying to sell large gas guzzling autos in countries with tiny roads and enourmous gas prices, and complained about "unfair trade".

So, no, the trade deficit does not bother me, except that it shows we are not as competitive producing goods that other countries want to purchase as we should be. Much of this uncompetitiveness is self inflicted thru overregulation by the government that increases our costs relative to the global marketplace.

If trade was truly "free", and the US has as many tarriffs and trade barriers as anyone, we would be better off.
They fulfill a need for cheaper products but rarely for better quality as witnessed by the barrages of reports about stinking dry wall, tainted pet food, lead and other toxins, inferior car tires and the list goes on...

Everyone wants to save a buck by buying the cheaper imports without giving much thought of why and how the standard of living keeps slipping on down for many Americans when they themselves promote it and in turn losing jobs because of it. There is no simple answer to this and no, we don't live in a bubble and protectionism does not work very well either but there has to be a bit more awareness and thought process from the general public.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 PM

I also heard the new 800 series will not be made in China. Other series will, however.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:38 PM

While Dave Wilson freely admits that there are other fine speaker builders out there and gives them credit, one of his biggest pet peeves is the fact that some speaker manufacturers keep the fact that they are made some place else hush hush.... Not really fair, is it?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Without too much debate I just think NAFTA should be fair. We trade 1 item for 1 item.
Ie. 1 car for 1 car......1 pair of shoes for 1 pair of shoes!
We need trade, been trading for 100's or years. Since man walked from village to village. but its way one sided. It needs to be fair. Its not fair for ie. japan to accept 1 corvette and we have to accept 1000 cars. That's NOT a fair trade.
No one on here would trade me a ALL your speakers for 2 of mine. OR ALL your amps for 1 of mine. If you will, please P.M. quickly.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
Without too much debate I just think NAFTA should be fair. We trade 1 item for 1 item.
Ie. 1 car for 1 car......1 pair of shoes for 1 pair of shoes!
We need trade, been trading for 100's or years. Since man walked from village to village. but its way one sided. It needs to be fair. Its not fair for ie. japan to accept 1 corvette and we have to accept 1000 cars. That's NOT a fair trade.
No one on here would trade me a ALL your speakers for 2 of mine. OR ALL your amps for 1 of mine. If you will, please P.M. quickly.
Does anyone know how many Corvettes are built with right hand drive to conform with the side of the road that the Japanese drive on? I think the answer is zero, and if so, this perfectly illustrates my point. How many of you would by Japanese cars here if they had right hand drive like they do in Japan?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:57 PM

The one thing I noticed when I visited a foreign manufacturing plant was how clean it was compared to our U.S. plants. I worked as summer help when I was 18 for GM at the engine plant. Very dirty inside. Years later. I visited a chinese factory. OMG, it was so clean you could eat off the floor. I could not believe the difference. Im not bashing on either company but I must admit it was very nice inside and employee moral seemed much better.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
The reason we have lost so many manufacturing jobs here in the US is because of the unions. Manufacturing companies who don't have unions are healthier companies for the most part. Name one industry that is a leader in the field that has unions ? Answer there are none. Our public education system is another example; we have one of most expensive public education systems in the world yet what we get for the money is not close to number one, why... because of unions. When you can't fire someone for lousy job performance you end up with crappy work. I try to buy American, such as Mcintosh and Macintosh . I am looking forward to our American cars to be as well designed as the German car companies.
I 100% agree. I have worked in both union and non union jobs. The unions have no control, hell my last union job (working at the railroad) was basically extortion. My union dues were $80.00 per month. If you wanted "Job Insurance" that was separate. basically you pay $100 per month for guarantee wages of $500 month if you get disciplined and not working during time off work. 1 day up to 1 year. The more you pay for job insurance the more money you bring home each month. We dont pay into social security. and like you said, the union is only there to get your job back. Of course the Rail Roads cant strike, not sure why we need a union other than management is always looking for reasons to fire you. It really is the "us against them" mentality. Sad to say Im glad im off work on medical retirement, I dont like that type of work environment. I was much less stressed when I was a director of Information Technology for a large distributor. I lost that job when a Chinese company purchased us. The reason for my above visit.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
While Dave Wilson freely admits that there are other fine speaker builders out there and gives them credit, one of his biggest pet peeves is the fact that some speaker manufacturers keep the fact that they are made some place else hush hush.... Not really fair, is it?
Don't speakers have a "Made in...." label on the speakers and packaging like every other product?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:24 PM

"Made in...." with parts from?