AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 08-11-2017, 11:47 PM

Hi Dan,

I will be taking delivery on my Berkeley Reference DAC2 in one week. My unit has been set up for MQA rendering by Berkeley. I was planning to purchase the Aurender N10 in short order but now I have to wait to see if the N10 will do core MQA unfolding like the Lumin U1. Very frustrating. I want the N10 in the worst way but I'll have to go with the U1 if Aurender can't deliver on N10 core MQA unfolding. In the meantime, I could use my Mac Mini with Audirvana, which provides MQA core unfolding but then I'll first need to purchase the Berkeley Alpha USB device. An expensive add on.

Best,
Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 08-11-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:17 AM

N10 will deliver MQA to your DAC, but your DAC needs to be able to handle MQA, there is a list on the MQA website with MQA capable hardware.
(A10 has an internal DAC)
Old 08-12-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Dan,

I will be taking delivery on my Berkeley Reference DAC2 in one week. My unit has been set up for MQA rendering by Berkeley. I was planning to purchase the Aurender N10 in short order but now I have to wait to see if the N10 will do core MQA unfolding like the Lumin U1. Very frustrating. I want the N10 in the worst way but I'll have to go with the U1 if Aurender can't deliver on N10 core MQA unfolding. In the meantime, I could use my Mac Mini with Audirvana, which provides MQA core unfolding but then I'll first need to purchase the Berkeley Alpha USB device. An expensive add on.

Best,
Ken
Hi Ken - Congrats on getting the latest MQA rendering Berkeley! Please keep us informed what you find regarding the Aurender N10's support of MQA Core decoding. I've also seen confirmation that the Lumin U1 will be adding MQA Core decoding very soon via a firmware update.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Hi Ken - Congrats on getting the latest MQA rendering Berkeley! Please keep us informed what you find regarding the Aurender N10's support of MQA Core decoding. I've also seen confirmation that the Lumin U1 will be adding MQA Core decoding very soon via a firmware update.
The Lumin's have a (suitable)DAC incorporated into the streamer, so easier for them to fully incorporate MQA
Old 08-12-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Hi Dan,

Best,
Ken
Doesnt the Berkeley do the full MQA from any bit perfect source. So as any streamer will work for the full MQA experience.

I did email them but did not get a reply.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:06 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Hi Dan,

Best,
Ken
Ken.......Congratulations of purchasing the exceptional Berkeley Reference 2 DAC with the MQA option. You will have no problem with the Aurender N10 passing the MQA data to Your DAC. Member j3brow (Jason) had this to say in another thread about his N10, "The N10 handles MQA perfectly as is. It needs the DAC to finish the stew. The N10 passes MQA perfectly to my Meridian 808 DAC, I streamed a 352kHz file this evening via the N10."

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 08-14-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
The Lumin's have a (suitable)DAC incorporated into the streamer, so easier for them to fully incorporate MQA
The Lumin U1 I referred to is a server only with digital outputs, not like some of their other models which have an onboard DAC to function as a complete player.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justubes View Post
Doesnt the Berkeley do the full MQA from any bit perfect source. So as any streamer will work for the full MQA experience.

I did email them but did not get a reply.
No, Berkeley ended up just implementing MQA rendering in their newly updated Reference DAC. So it requires a server which performs MQA Core decoding (the first unfold) to then render fully decoded MQA.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Ken.......Congratulations of purchasing the exception Berkeley Reference 2 DAC with the MQA option. You will have no problem with the Aurender N10 passing the MQA data to Your DAC. Member j3brow (Jason) had this to say in another thread about his N10, "The N10 handles MQA perfectly as is. It needs the DAC to finish the stew. The N10 passes MQA perfectly to my Meridian 808 DAC, I streamed a 352kHz file this evening via the N10."
The Meridian 808 does full MQA decoding on its own, so it doesn't require any MQA Core decoding of the signal it receives. The newly updated Berkeley is only an MQA renderer so it would require a server which performs MQA Core decoding to provide fully decoded MQA.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Bill.......Thanks for the information on MQA decoding. I am no MQA expert, only someone who is marginally interested in MQA. I am certain those with interest in MQA appreciate your input.

Earlier in post #8 I said while playing Tidal Master files my Esoteric K-01X displays 16Bit/48kHz when playing Tidal Masters. That was incorrect. According to my Conductor App the Tidal Master files are playing at 24Bit/48KHz, and my K-01X displays shows 48KHz during Tidal Master playback. I played the CD version from Tidal of Fleet Fox - Crack-Up and the Conductor App shows 16Bit/44.1KHz, and the K-01X shows 44.1KHz. The same Tidal recording of the Master files shows 24Bit/48KHz as does the K-01X. This indicates to me that the first level of MQA unfolding is happening either in the Tidal software or the Aurender N10 processing. Again, I'm no expert, just reporting on what is happening with my Aurender N10 music server.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 08-12-2017 at 02:34 PM.