AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-12-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince11281 View Post
I was using a Node 2 when I first bought my MAC6700 and tried it multiple ways. I found that it sounded significantly better using the digital out on the Bluesound to the Mc DAC. In all comparisons I used similar quality cables to take that out of the equation. It was noticeable enough to where even my wife commented on the difference in sound.
Was this with MQA files or not? What are you using as a streamer now?

The Bluesound Node 2 has the capability to fully decode MQA over analog, but just performs the first step of processing (software decode) over digital as the DAC if certified would perform the rendering to fully decode the file. I called Mcintosh to discuss if theie DAC would support MQA, but they basically poo pooed the format and suggested that a computer would "fully" decode MQA and pass over USB to the DAC on the Mcintosh unit. This is not correct, but the guy I spoke with insisted it was so I just left it at that.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:20 AM

Does anyone have any info on whether or not MC will update the MA8000 with the new features from the MA8900? I am in the market for an integrated, and would rather get the bigger one as I would like to use it for a long time.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Was this with MQA files or not? What are you using as a streamer now?

The Bluesound Node 2 has the capability to fully decode MQA over analog, but just performs the first step of processing (software decode) over digital as the DAC if certified would perform the rendering to fully decode the file. I called Mcintosh to discuss if theie DAC would support MQA, but they basically poo pooed the format and suggested that a computer would "fully" decode MQA and pass over USB to the DAC on the Mcintosh unit. This is not correct, but the guy I spoke with insisted it was so I just left it at that.
I tried it with both MQA and non MQA material and in all honesty, it sounded better ran optical to the McIntosh DAC
Hegel P30 preamp : Hegel H20 power amp : Focal Sopra No 1 monitors : Dual JL Audio Fathom 110v2 subs : Lumin D1 streamer with SBooster BOTW power supply : Rega RP8 turntable with Apheta II moving coil cartridge : Lehmann Audio Decade Phono preamp
Old 07-02-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have any info on whether or not MC will update the MA8000 with the new features from the MA8900? I am in the market for an integrated, and would rather get the bigger one as I would like to use it for a long time.
I had a 6700 and have recently upgraded to the 8000. The only thing I can see the 8900 has over the 8000 is the DAC. The 8000 is superior in every other way. As far as the monogrammed heat sinks, I'm not to sure of their benefit. I honestly wasn't to concerned with th improved DAC in the 8900, mostly because I run my streamer balanced XLR, and you can always upgrade to a really nice stand alone DAC. You can't really upgrade the power amp portions
Hegel P30 preamp : Hegel H20 power amp : Focal Sopra No 1 monitors : Dual JL Audio Fathom 110v2 subs : Lumin D1 streamer with SBooster BOTW power supply : Rega RP8 turntable with Apheta II moving coil cartridge : Lehmann Audio Decade Phono preamp
Old 07-03-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince11281 View Post
I had a 6700 and have recently upgraded to the 8000. The only thing I can see the 8900 has over the 8000 is the DAC. The 8000 is superior in every other way. As far as the monogrammed heat sinks, I'm not to sure of their benefit. I honestly wasn't to concerned with th improved DAC in the 8900, mostly because I run my streamer balanced XLR, and you can always upgrade to a really nice stand alone DAC. You can't really upgrade the power amp portions

I know, thats why I would rather have the amp. If there is a "MA9000" on the horizon I would rather just wait. The press releases all state that the MA8900 is the first in a new family or integrated amps so it sounds like they eventually plan on putting the new updates across the lineup.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:30 AM

@Vince11281..... How is the Lumin D1 working with the Mac integrated...I am looking at the same setup for my music room with either CM10 or 804d3 speakers.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
@Vince11281..... How is the Lumin D1 working with the Mac integrated...I am looking at the same setup for my music room with either CM10 or 804d3 speakers.
I couldn't be happier with the D1. The best way I can describe it, is it sounds like it has a lot of weight to it. It doesn't sound thin like some other streamers I've listened to. The only recommendation I can make is upgrading the factory power supply. I use the SBooster BOTW power supply and run a Wireworld Silver Electra power cord off the SBooster. It actually made a pretty substantial difference. I'm actually so impressed with the Lumin, I would someday consider upgrading to their A1
Old 07-03-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I know, thats why I would rather have the amp. If there is a "MA9000" on the horizon I would rather just wait. The press releases all state that the MA8900 is the first in a new family or integrated amps so it sounds like they eventually plan on putting the new updates across the lineup.
I couldn't say for sure, but with the release of a few new products recently, I would imagine we wouldn't see another new integrated for at least a year. I personally couldn't wait. You can always wait for the new version of anything to come out, but then you lose out on the time you could have been enjoying something.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:49 PM

Aaaaaand I couldn't have been more wrong lol!
Old 07-05-2017, 10:35 PM

Vince... relax... no worries.. you are using the Lumin as DAC.. so forget about this MA9000... you dont need it... i repeat... you dont need it!