AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 03-06-2018, 08:15 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The news is better than that as I just noticed an email from Schiit that my unit actually shipped today. Should be here Thursday unless the storm delays the delivery.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-09-2018, 03:53 PM

Mr.YggY has arrived.

Exactly a month to the date. Oredered 2/9 and YggY finally arrived 3/9. It would have been yesterday but the delivery was delayed until today. So what should have been a 3 to 5 day wait turned into a month long wait.

YggY's coast to coast journey was uneventful as the double box and foam cradle protected him from the bumps and bruises of the long journey.

The rack was all ready to receive the new member with an empty shelf and all the Wireworld cables ready for the arrival. I placed YggY below the Luxman L590 which is occupying the upper shelf of my rack for ventilation and cooling purposes since it does run rather warm and needs the space.

Mr.YggY is now residing below the Luxman integrated with the Luxman D-06u SACD player a shelf below YggY.

All cabled up and plugged in with the Wireworld Silver Electra 7 power cord, Silver Eclipse 7 Balanced cables, Gold Starlight digital cable and Silver Starlight 7 USB cable, YggY was ready to show me what it can do.

First impressions after only a brief 10 min warmup. I was blown away... Either this unit has seen some extensive burn in time at the factory or YggY simply does sound better than Gumby even before it breaks in. Yggy easily surpassed Gumby stone cold and new out of the box. Gumby had sounded rather nasty the first day until it warmed up, stabilized and started the loooong break in process evolving slowly over time.

I did not hear any of the cold, not broken in digital glare, harshness or aggressiveness anywhere in the frequency spectrum from the mids to the limit of the treble that I can hear and of course I was expecting to hear all that nastiness just by my experience with Gumby's break in process.

The Luxman D-06u sounded just a bit more smoother and relaxed than Gumby did on first day. Here YggY jumped out of the box and let it rip with analog like smoothness, naturalness and musicality one would expect much, much later in the break in process "if" that is what the gear is capable of delivering. That of course made me happy! I don't have to wait 500 hrs to really enjoy YggY as what I am hearing now is completely musical and smooth already!

I will of course give it some play time and let it break in before I put forward more comments on the sound but I wanted to share the few videos I quickly made after about only 20 minutes of Mr.YggY being in the system! I found it so unusual that thought you guys may get a kick out of it.

Male vocals. https://youtu.be/7RD42Vmg5vM

Instrumental only. https://youtu.be/fAhZFaA7HTc
Old 03-09-2018, 04:47 PM

Didn't take long to notice YggY does noticeably better with the leading edges of transients but especially so with the trailing edges. The notes linger a bit longer and the lingering note decay enhances the perception of resolution YggY brings. Yggy wins over Gumby on day 1 vs over 1400hrs on Gumby when it comes to reproducing crisp transients which now by comparison sound a bit blunted on Gumby. This is not a night and day difference but I picked up on it right away which was then confirmed by carefully listening for it on the videos I have saved of Gumby.

YggY having fun with guitar string harmonics. https://youtu.be/tWWjNJ2td60
Old 03-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Serge.......I am smiling from ear to ear for you. The Yggdrasil DAC is exceptional. The more you listen the better it gets. 100 hours from now you will be more in love with Yggy than today.

The videos were great fun. Even on my Creative desk top speakers here in the office, the Yggdrasil clearly shines with your sound system, and the Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary speakers sound wonderful.

Congratulations of your new Yggdrasil DAC. I predict you will own this DAC for many years. It is just too good to let go of. That Moon Neo 260D transport sounds sweet, too. I am happy for you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-09-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Serge.......I am smiling from ear to ear for you. The Yggdrasil DAC is exceptional. The more you listen the better it gets. 100 hours from now you will be more in love with Yggy than today.

The videos were great fun. Even on my Creative desk top speakers here in the office, the Yggdrasil clearly shines with your sound system, and the Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary speakers sound wonderful.

Congratulations of your new Yggdrasil DAC. I predict you will own this DAC for many years. It is just too good to let go of. That Moon Neo 260D transport sounds sweet, too. I am happy for you.
Thank you Dan. Yes, Yggy is definitely a keeper. I can't imagine anything anywhere near its price ever displacing it. Honestly never thought it would sound this great out of the box. I have no doubt the Class A analog 2 redesign has MUCH to do with it.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:50 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Thank you Dan. Yes, Yggy is definitely a keeper. I can't imagine anything anywhere near its price ever displacing it. Honestly never thought it would sound this great out of the box. I have no doubt the Class A analog 2 redesign has MUCH to do with it.
Congrats, Serge, on your new Yggy! Great to hear that it is sounding so good out of the box. it will only get better from here and a month from now I expect you'll be in audio nirvana!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:50 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Of course, I am also looking forward to one of your patented "Serge-views"! You and Dan set the bar...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:54 AM

Great .... now I'm going to have to sell my Gumby and get a Yggy. I hope I can get most of my money back out of the Gumby - it is btw a great sounding DAC.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Congrats, Serge, on your new Yggy! Great to hear that it is sounding so good out of the box. it will only get better from here and a month from now I expect you'll be in audio nirvana!
Thanks Stephen. Not even going to track the break in but simply enjoy music as the yggy is already sounding great!
Old 03-10-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Of course, I am also looking forward to one of your patented "Serge-views"! You and Dan set the bar...
Dan already did an outstanding write up. I will just add some of my own observations with time.