AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 12-28-2016, 07:28 PM

Default Anyone Using An Aurender W20?

I just ordered the W20 and am hoping some members can give me feedback on their setup and listening impressions. I plan to use the W20 with the Esoteric K-01X and G-01 clock but I haven't found too many reviews with Esoteric gear. I ordered the W20 for a few reasons:
1. I'm computer illiterate! I need a plug & play device.
2. Its the only server that I know of that incorporates a master/word clock.
3. I like the App and usage with Tidal. I'm always looking for new music.
4. My dealer says Aurender has not had any failed drives - Reassuring based
on some early speculation.

Are members using clocks with their W20?
Does anyone prefer AES/EBU over USB?
What cables are you using?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Dave
Old 12-28-2016, 09:42 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Dave.......Congratulations. Nothing like going for the gold. The Aurender W20 is unique in many ways by design, and by all accounts a superb audio performer. Even though the W20 can be used in conjunction with an external word clock, its own internal OCXO (oven controlled crystal oscillator) is remarkably accurate joined with the field programmable gate array phase locked loop system that reduces jitter to near immeasurable levels. The W20 power supply and alternating battery pack power source is innovative and not only provides super clean power but also prevents power loss to the server in the event of a utility power loss. There are many other engineering and design highlights in the Aurender W20 music server that make it a ground breaking reference level audio component. I am positive from my own experience with my Aurender N10 and Esoteric K-03 setup that you will be delighted beyond your greatest expectations.

The Aurender Conductor app is a pleasure to use. Moving music files to the W20's generous 12TB (6TB x 2) hard drives is a simple drag and drop operation. Once you've done it you will be a pro. The Conductor application automatically updates itself as music files are uploaded. As for cables, you have options and most likely the AES/EBU connection will deliver your best digital signal to the DAC. My Esoteric K-03 does not provide the AES/EBU connection so I use a Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 coaxial digital cable from the N10 to the K-03. I also keep a Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable connected between the N10 and the K-03 for the times I wish to make comparisons. If you haven't already, you can read my Aurender N10 Caching Music Server review here.

I am looking forward to your review of the Aurender W20. These are exciting times.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-28-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Dave.......Congratulations. Nothing like going for the gold. The Aurender W20 is unique in many ways by design, and by all accounts a superb audio performer. Even though the W20 can be used in conjunction with an external word clock, its own internal OCXO (oven controlled crystal oscillator) is remarkably accurate joined with the field programmable gate array phase locked loop system that reduces jitter to near immeasurable levels. The W20 power supply and alternating battery pack power source is innovative and not only provides super clean power but also prevents power loss to the server in the event of a utility power loss. There are many other engineering and design highlights in the Aurender W20 music server that make it a ground breaking reference level audio component. I am positive from my own experience with my Aurender N10 and Esoteric K-03 setup that you will be delighted beyond your greatest expectations.

The Aurender Conductor app is a pleasure to use. Moving music files to the W20's generous 12TB (6TB x 2) hard drives is a simple drag and drop operation. Once you've done it you will be a pro. The Conductor application automatically updates itself as music files are uploaded. As for cables, you have options and most likely the AES/EBU connection will deliver your best digital signal to the DAC. My Esoteric K-03 does not provide the AES/EBU connection so I use a Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 coaxial digital cable from the N10 to the K-03. I also keep a Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable connected between the N10 and the K-03 for the times I wish to make comparisons. If you haven't already, you can read my Aurender N10 Caching Music Server review here.

I am looking forward to your review of the Aurender W20. These are exciting times.
Dan,
It always amazes me how much technical information you retain and how you always manage to put words together in way that I can understand. I'm really looking forward to having the W20 along with the K-01X. I've always been a disc spinner and enjoy the process of picking an album and listening from beginning to end. With a two and half year old and a 12 week old newborn, the idea of building playlists and having immediate access to millions of tracks at the touch of a button started to sound very appealing. The unit should arrive next week and ill post an update after it settles in just a bit.

Dave
Old 12-29-2016, 03:02 PM
Life is beautiful

Looking forward to your impressions Dave.
What a world class system you have built!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Dave.......Having your entire digital music library at your finger tips is a real pleasure. With your young child and a newborn, not having to deal with discs, albums, or anything else laying loose will make things safer for the children and less likely to become damaged. All you'll need is an iPad and you're in command.

When you are not listening to the W20 you can tap the repeat sympol in the upper left corner of the Aurender Conductor app and the music server will play indefinitely so you can get some break-in hours on it while the rest of the sound system is turned off. That helps speed up the break-in.

You're going to love your new Aurender W20. Can't wait to read your impressions. Did you order the black or the silver? Don't forget how much we like photos.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-29-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Looking forward to your impressions Dave.
What a world class system you have built!
Thanks Bart you too! I always ask myself when will enough be enough? Probably never. After I add a nice preamp(hopefully Nagra HD pre), I think I'll be good for a few years.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:29 PM
Life is beautiful

Dave, I believe the road towards our goal is as nice as the goal itself.
Let's enjoy it fully!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-29-2016, 04:17 PM

Default Anyone Using An Aurender W20?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Dave.......Having your entire digital music library at your finger tips is a real pleasure. With your young child and a newborn, not having to deal with discs, albums, or anything else laying loose will make things safer for the children and less likely to become damaged. All you'll need is an iPad and you're in command.

When you are not listening to the W20 you can tap the repeat sympol in the upper left corner of the Aurender Conductor app and the music server will play indefinitely so you can get some break-in hours on it while the rest of the sound system is turned off. That helps speed up the break-in.

You're going to love your new Aurender W20. Can't wait to read your impressions. Did you order the black or the silver? Don't forget how much we like photos.

Dan,
I agree with everything you said and all was considered before I ordered the W20. I haven't read anything negative about the unit but then again I'm sure it's hard for people to talk about shortcomings after a substantial purchase like this. I know I'll be happy with it, but I'm interested to hear the differences between the spinner and the server. Good times ahead! I ordered black. Thought it would look nice with the Mcintosh equipment.

Last edited by SuperD; 12-29-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:51 PM

Congratulations SupeDave !!!
We'll wait your impressions.
I'm waiting for the future Esoteric N01 Server to connect it to my Esoteric D02X.
Actually i'm playing from an Aurender N100H.
If Esoteric doesn't make it i will upgrade to N10 or W20.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:38 AM

Congratulations Dave on the new addition.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.