AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > DeVore Fidelity

DeVore Fidelity Nothing brings you closer to the Music

Old 01-18-2014, 08:29 PM

Jerome,
I would say that although my O/96s create a very full bottom end (which I love)
the bass is most definitely not real tight. But that is also a product of my room.
I have never heard the Silverbacks but I will say that my O/96s are a very similar sound to the Super 8s. It's just that they are on steroids. They can be a beast when you want them to, but can also be laid back and mellow, depending on your choice of music. Very versatile. For me I don't want my system to dictate what music I listen to. I want my mood to dictate that, although most days my choice always seems to drive my wife crazy. Thats the benefit of having a dedicated room that she never goes into except for movies.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLG4EVR View Post
BTW soundstage is great.
Good to hear. I was just recounting what my dealer told me. He was probably making his comments comparatively to the Silverbacks, which I have personally heard.

Sounds like different flavors but both wonderful matches to Shindo.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:00 PM

Jerome...John Atkinson's quick take on DeVore Gibbon X from CES this year: http://www.stereophile.com/content/d...bon-x-speakers

Last edited by cmalak; 01-19-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak
Jerome...John Atkinson's quick take on DeVore Gibbon X from CES this year: http://www.stereophile.com/content/d...bon-x-speakers
Thank you Cyril.
These make the Orangutan and the Gibbon lines at the same price level. They look like Super 8's with more bass.
Really not an easy decision to take based only on the comments of users / listeners.
Seems that the O96 would be great for my living room but maybe the SilverBacks would fit better in the main room especially for the bass quality.
And now comes the Gibbon X that could be a bit of both worlds...

I guess I will have to wait for a listening of the 3 speakers before taking my decision.
There is a dealer in London and one other in the Benelux ( don't remember if it is Belgium or Netherlands ). I will have to make the trip.
Really too sad that there is no importer / dealer in France.
I guess that the market here is too small for both ProAc and DeVore.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 AM

Exchanged mails with John Devore about the differences between the Gibbon X and the Silverbacks.

I am now leading towards the Silverbacks.
Being a Wilson fan, I need speakers that image well and disappear. It seems that as good as the O96 may be, they won't disappear as the Silverbacks. Plus the bass of the SB seems to really be the king of the jungle.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Jerome...I have heard the Silverbacks many a time and I have talked to my dealer about the O96s but have not heard them. The way I understand it. The 096s will give you more midrange density, perhaps a faster and slightly wider dynamic envelope (given the higher sensitivity and easier load presented to the amp), and are voiced to sound a bit fuller/more dense.

The Silverback's (which by the way there is a Mk II coming or may already be out there not sure) is a more neutral presentation across the frequency spectrum. Can still energize the room (i.e., has plenty of low-end presentation) but it's bass is punchier, more articulated (i.e., cleaner). The speaker is more resolving and more transparent. Finally the Silverback's will present a much clearer and more resolved soundstage (width and depth) and will have cleaner image definition within the soundstage. The 096s don't do soundstaging and imaging as well (not their forte) and my guess is the much narrower front baffle of the Silverback's is one of the reasons why they image like a 2-way monitor vs. the wide front baffle of the 096s.

Both will sound wonderful with your Shindo (this is a combination made in heaven) but the sonic outcomes will be quite different. I hope this helps.

According to my dealer the O96s are a music lover's speaker and if you don't care about hifi artifacts like staging/imaging, ultra see-through resolution, then this is your speaker. It boogies. It swings. It sings at the core of where most music resides - in the midrange.

The Silverbacks to me are also very natural sounding but they do deliver the hifi artifacts, such as see-through resolution, allowing you to hear deep into the track and to uncover layers of detail (but in a totally natural and not hyper unrealistic way). And they have a cleaner and more articulated bottom end. And to me they also throw a highly resolved and see-through soundstage with clean image lines. They may not be as snappy as the O96s in terms of dynamic swings though.
I own the Silverbacks and I've heard the O/96's on a few occasions and have to say this seems like a pretty accurate assessment. Nicely done.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLG4EVR View Post
Jerome, I had this discussion with Jonathan before I ordered my 0/96's. His opinion was these were developed for Shindo type gear and to order the 0/96's. I realize your amp's are more powerful than mine so the Silverback may work well for you.
I have not heard the Silverback but I can say I love my 0/96's. BTW soundstage is great.
Just my two cents on the soundstage. Both very good, but very different. SBs give you a 3D sense of musicians in the room (great for jazz quartets etc.) where the O/96s provide more of a 2D wall of sound (like a rock concert, orchestra, etc).
Old 03-04-2014, 12:25 PM

I'm headed over to my dealer to audition the Silverbacks tomorrow morning. I currently own the Orangutan 96's. After living with the O's for awhile I feel the bass is too loosey goosey for me. I really want to like the O's but.......

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
SOURCES: Analog 1 - Well Tempered Amadeus + EMT TSD15 + Lehmann Audio Decade Phonostage. Analog 2 - Thorens TD124 + Origin Live Zephyr Tonearm + Dynavector Karat 17D3 + Dynavector P75 MKll Phonestage Digital - Ayre QX-5 Twenty Amps - Nagra CLassic Amp (2) + Nagra Jazz Pre SPEAKERS - TAD CE1
Cables - Wireworld.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logey View Post
I'm headed over to my dealer to audition the Silverbacks tomorrow morning. I currently own the Orangutan 96's. After living with the O's for awhile I feel the bass is too loosey goosey for me. I really want to like the O's but.......

Cool -let us know how it goes. Where in NE Ohio are you? Shoot me a PM if you want to connect.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 PM

Well I traded in the Orangutan 96's today for my dealers demo pair of Silverback's in walnut. After living with the O's for a couple of months I realized I like speakers that are more resolving, more transparent, have the ability to project a large soundstage and have deep, tight bass. I think the SB's are those speakers. My dealer kept me whole on my O's purchase and will let me upgrade the Silverback's whenever I want. Pretty excited. He should be able to deliver them next week.

He did mention that my Cortese may not be the best match. Anyone have any experience with the Cortese driving a pair of SB's?

SOURCES: Analog 1 - Well Tempered Amadeus + EMT TSD15 + Lehmann Audio Decade Phonostage. Analog 2 - Thorens TD124 + Origin Live Zephyr Tonearm + Dynavector Karat 17D3 + Dynavector P75 MKll Phonestage Digital - Ayre QX-5 Twenty Amps - Nagra CLassic Amp (2) + Nagra Jazz Pre SPEAKERS - TAD CE1
Cables - Wireworld.