AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Media Server Aficionado

You should be able to also use that Lynx with input channels... perhaps go A->D for your vinyl and just use the gainstage from the card...? Don't know if that will simplify or not, but it does get a switcher out of the way which I have never found to be a "positive" addition to any system.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM

David,

I have tried Tributaries when starting out with McIntosh - same amp MC402 and they sounded nice. When switched over to Cardas Golden Reference, s big step up. Very clear and neutral. Not harsh or edgy. Very smooth. Now to the latest Argento Audio Master Reference, silver BUT none of the described exhibits about silver cables demonstrated. maybe its because of the gears, but to me, an overall muscial system.

I would suggest you try out Cardas, maybe at the Neutral Reference, then on and up. of course, Kimber is good too!

Dan is also right about room synergy and treatment. That should be your next step!

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
You should be able to also use that Lynx with input channels... perhaps go A->D for your vinyl and just use the gainstage from the card...? Don't know if that will simplify or not, but it does get a switcher out of the way which I have never found to be a "positive" addition to any system.
That's an interesting idea. Would this take mods? I never knew you could do that. There is an "analog in" for recording that I use to record vinyl and SACD's. I think I would still need the switch box for vinyl since it needs a preamp. I very seldom play SACD's anymore, but it would be convenient to send it through the card rather than the C712.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:52 PM

David
What price range are you looking at? In the not too expensive range, Analysis Plus worked well with my 402 and is pretty natural. I have become partial to Transparent. Their range goes from reasonable to the stupid. I stay in the middle and an very happy.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregswaim View Post
Check out Kubala-Sosna XLR's. I use these for my main system- absolutely fantastic no nonsense XLR's! Call Audio Classics and ask for Frank Gow.
Thanks Greg. I bought my c712 from Frank Gow and he recommended the Kubala-Sosna XLR's which I bought and had between the preamp (used for vinyl) and the switch box. About an hour ago I put the Kubala-Sosna XLR's between the switch box and the 402 and have been listening to it. It certainly helps. I still have silver cable in the custom break out cable from the card. I thought I knew how the Kubala-Sosnas sounded and didn't initially think it would do the trick. The more I listen the more I like it in its new position.

Thanks to all for the recommendations. I will try some of the recommendations if I can get them as loaners. I would like to preserve as much detail from the operating system tweaks, but add smoothness and weight. I am trying to avoid the ultimate fool's errant of padding it back down to where it was before the tweaks.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
David
What price range are you looking at? In the not too expensive range, Analysis Plus worked well with my 402 and is pretty natural. I have become partial to Transparent. Their range goes from reasonable to the stupid. I stay in the middle and an very happy.
That's a tough one. I like to start out in the low three figures and work my way up. I've found that quality does not always correlate with price.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That's an interesting idea. Would this take mods? I never knew you could do that. There is an "analog in" for recording that I use to record vinyl and SACD's. I think I would still need the switch box for vinyl since it needs a preamp. I very seldom play SACD's anymore, but it would be convenient to send it through the card rather than the C712.

If you are recording the vinyl you can keep your 24/192 master in digital and just playback at anytime. If the input is enough to record from it should be enough to bump the output to work...
Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I was thinking about changing the silver balanced interconnect (HGA Silver Lace) that goes from the switch box to the amp.
David.......I have to agree with Alberto's comment regarding silver plated copper interconnects, in that some manufacturers cables seem to heavily favor the upper octaves. Even different series of interconnect cables from the same manufacturer's line can sound better or worse. I discovered the Wireworld Silver Eclipse 5.2 series balanced cable to be too bright for my taste, yet the new Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 series balanced interconnects are so detailed and smooth from the lowest octaves to the highest octaves, I find it difficult to belive the cables are from the same company. The new Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 balanced interconnects are excellent.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-08-2009, 12:02 AM

David,
Are you using an outboard DAC or the sound card to do the D/A conversion?

Some of the copper cables you may try will help somewhat. Cables are usually not as effective as some more important factors that contribute to the overall result. The problem with many of the computer based sources is that you will usually not get the proper "weight" and "tonality" even if the sound card is very good to great. They all tend to "bleach" the sound somewhat. Have you notice how most of mid-fi sounds relatively the same? There is always that sense of lack of weight to the sound, it sound light weight and too lean with "not enough meat on the bones".

Often with the lower end DACs and computer sound cards, the sound is accurate and has enough resolution, in a word true to the recording as far as details go but it doesn't sound as believable making vocals too lean, the highs too crisp and bass is often too dry and lacks body.

This is mostly because of the choice of capacitors and resistors in such devices. What differentiates the high end audio and other devices such as audiophile grade outboard DACs from mid-fi and computer sound cards is the choice of much more expensive components that add the realism in the form of weight, scale and proper tonality back to the sound.

If you are using the Sony's DAC, then your problem will mostly be with the room itself being too reflective. You can certainly try some copper cables, it will help a little but I don't think it will get you all the way there.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
David,
Are you using an outboard DAC or the sound card to do the D/A conversion?

Some of the copper cables you may try will help somewhat. Cables are usually not as effective as some more important factors that contribute to the overall result. The problem with many of the computer based sources is that you will usually not get the proper "weight" and "tonality" even if the sound card is very good to great. They all tend to "bleach" the sound somewhat. Have you notice how most of mid-fi sounds relatively the same? There is always that sense of lack of weight to the sound, it sound light weight and too lean with "not enough meat on the bones".

Often with the lower end DACs and computer sound cards, the sound is accurate and has enough resolution, in a word true to the recording as far as details go but it doesn't sound as believable making vocals too lean, the highs too crisp and bass is often too dry and lacks body.

This is mostly because of the choice of capacitors and resistors in such devices. What differentiates the high end audio and other devices such as audiophile grade outboard DACs from mid-fi and computer sound cards is the choice of much more expensive components that add the realism in the form of weight, scale and proper tonality back to the sound.

If you are using the Sony's DAC, then your problem will mostly be with the room itself being too reflective. You can certainly try some copper cables, it will help a little but I don't think it will get you all the way there.
I am using the DAC in the card. I realize that this is a minority approach. Some thoughts on using the Lynx sound card instead of an outboard DAC (thinking outside the box): It is supposed to sound very much like the Benckmark DAC. I would not say it lacks body. It has a solidity to its sound, probably from very low jitter. Like the Benchmark it was designed for the production studio so if there is a negative, it is that it is too detailed. It was voiced for clarity, not musicality. It has a very low noise floor. (Also, no issues with noise from rfi or emi) The idea is that a mastering engineer should hear everything. No doubt it has not been voiced with expensive parts like oil filled capacitors etc. It is not going to approach the sound of Lamm. Nevertheless, the Lynx card actually beat my Sony SCD777es which was modded with expensive blackgates. I then sold the Sony. The person who first suggested the Lynx to me felt it beat his tubed Audio Aero Capitale, which he sold. When I bought the Lynx card I a/b'd against the DAC 3, a DAC Stereophile loves which it beat at least in my opinion. It was close though. I do use DSP, as I said on the other forum, to mold the sound to my taste. On the other hand the MDA1000 uses DSP for upsampling, but it is hardware based. I don't think using DSP that is software based is inferior. I feel it is more advanced since it is more flexible. I kind of like the idea of starting with a card that has extremely low jitter and is highly resolving as a base, then molding the sound to my taste with DSP. To me it is the end result that counts. For me a high quality sound card is a great solution. Plus you can record your vinyl with it!