AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop4fun View Post
I think I'm starting to get lonely...
I figured everyone was.. that's why I wanted to do my 'Greenhaus' event.

More to come so everyone isn't so lonely.

-M
Old 02-10-2012, 11:58 PM

Matt,

You need to find a way to do one in South Florida... MAybe it could become the Tropicalhaus!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 AM

Based upon the recommendations of my dear colleague Jonathan, I have purchased the Janos Starker - Bach Six Cello Suites released by Speakers Corner. I will receive on Thursday, better be good or I will be mad...

Also just bought the Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue album from Blue Note - that one I liked very much, I had heard good things about it, and was able to hear a tune of it from Matt when visiting, good tunes and very well recorded.

While at Matt's I also heard the Louis Armstrong 45rpm pressing of St James Infirmary, still excellent.

But I do so much love rock, so I still do recommend Gang of Four, That's Entertainment.

Earlier I was listening to some Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, only available on CD, but well worth it.

If everyone is happy and content with their system, that is great, so just thought I would mention some tunes to consider.

Anyone else have some recommendations to consider? I really don't do much classical, but Jonathan bent my ear on this one purchase...

Barr
Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 AM

The Starker is an excellent recording of a superb performance. With Shindo gear you can really appreciate the textures and sonorous tonality of a beautiful instrument. But I don't think its for everyone since its a solo celloist playing six suites of baroque music. Lets just say this definitely ain't "Damaged Goods" by the Gang of Four
Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplexico View Post
If everyone is happy and content with their system, that is great, so just thought I would mention some tunes to consider.

Anyone else have some recommendations to consider? I really don't do much classical, but Jonathan bent my ear on this one purchase...

Barr
Barr,

Check out the "Music" threads. I get most of my new purchase inspiration from that section. For example, "What are you spinning"

Bill
Old 02-15-2012, 11:57 PM

Yes it is a bit of a trip down the music aisle from Gang of Four to Bach Cello concertos. But at times one does need a change of direction. Actually I did check out some of the sound samples prior to ordering, just to make certain. I should have done that more often with a few of the "audiophile" recordings I bought, which while great sounding, weren't really my cup of tea.

And Bill, thanks for the tip on the music section, didn't realize there was one.

Barr
Old 02-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Barr, are you saying that sticking to the usual Grammy suspects can leave a person musically unfulfilled??? :gasp:
Speaking as a jazz lover, it seems there is a certain affinity between jazz fans and Bach. You probably couldn't go wrong with most Bach compositions. Or Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Schubert or Mahler for that matter.
After that, I'd go for recordings from known quantities, like Horowitz, Gould, Rostropovich, Ashkenazy, Heifetz, etc. Because SF has such a robust public library system, I used their CD collection over the last 5 years or so to educate myself on classical. That, coupled with hearing live performances have helped me to calibrate what an orchestra should sound like.
Speaking of libraries, since you're local we can always do a lending library type of thing. Or chat in person about it too. Sounds like a Mill Valley Music or Amoeba outing is in the works...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplexico View Post
I should have done that more often with a few of the "audiophile" recordings I bought, which while great sounding, weren't really my cup of tea.
LOL, I've been burned by almost every single "audiophile" recording that I bought in my naive youth. The recordings may be great, but the music is usually crapolla. I've learned my lesson and buy the music first and hope that the recording is decent. So if anyone's interested I've got a whack of CDs by Stereophile, FIM and Reference Recordings that I can sell you, CHEAP!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyc

LOL, I've been burned by almost every single "audiophile" recording that I bought in my naive youth. The recordings may be great, but the music is usually crapolla. I've learned my lesson and buy the music first and hope that the recording is decent. So if anyone's interested I've got a whack of CDs by Stereophile, FIM and Reference Recordings that I can sell you, CHEAP!
I like some of the music on reference recordings and FIM. I'm interested!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 AM

Well folks, I am back! Enjoyed reading all your comments!

I was fortunate to have an in house visit from the man today. Got to listen to some pieces I was interested in, as I was thinking of upgrading either my pre amp or my amp. While he was here, Matt was kind enough to make some tuning adjustments to my Garrard 401 as well.

And now my system sounds even better than before. More to follow on that, needless to say it was a little more than just a turntable adjustment.

Have to finish making some Kimchi than will check back in.

Oh, and I got this re-issue from Audio Fidelity yesterday, Sade, Diamond Life, the first tune which I am sure you have all heard, Smooth Operator sounds so different than back in the day when it first came out. Mostly do to the change in equipment over the years. I am convinced this tune, played on the right equipment could easily sell a thousand systems. The most slinky bass line I have every heard, among over treasures...

Barr