AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 07-14-2017, 01:34 AM

Since installing the GL GZ34 and it having some break-in time, it seems that the bass output from my HO has increased significantly…surprising.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:15 AM

If you really want neat, seamless bass, try the 100 Hz filters
Old 07-14-2017, 02:26 PM

Is that based on a "triode strapped" lower powered amp? If so I can see why you'd want to do that. I was simply wondering if the increased bass was due to the GZ34 or my imagination, and since I'm using 2 REL subs running from the speaker outs to the REL High Level inputs I'm utilizing the bass tone of the HO (I like that). It sounds astonishingly good even with my modest efficiency speakers with coherency and clean bass for days. If I were to use a 100 hz filter, I would have to run long unbalanced signals to my subs (no no no) and force the subs into higher frequencies (High lows? Low mids?) which I prefer they stay away from (they sound better at around 50hz or lower). With the new rectifier I turned my subs down a little from where they were previously (I adjust the level of them from time to time as recorded bass levels vary), and, surprisingly, they're not pushed as hard with the HO anyway even with bass slam heavy recordings.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgarcia View Post
Is that based on a "triode strapped" lower powered amp? If so I can see why you'd want to do that. I was simply wondering if the increased bass was due to the GZ34 or my imagination, and since I'm using 2 REL subs running from the speaker outs to the REL High Level inputs I'm utilizing the bass tone of the HO (I like that). It sounds astonishingly good even with my modest efficiency speakers with coherency and clean bass for days. If I were to use a 100 hz filter, I would have to run long unbalanced signals to my subs (no no no) and force the subs into higher frequencies (High lows? Low mids?) which I prefer they stay away from (they sound better at around 50hz or lower). With the new rectifier I turned my subs down a little from where they were previously (I adjust the level of them from time to time as recorded bass levels vary), and, surprisingly, they're not pushed as hard with the HO anyway even with bass slam heavy recordings.
The approach works for any of the Inspire configurations. The key is not to over-impose bass frequencies but let those be handled exclusively by the better capable SUB. The amp will work effortlessly without that drag. Balanced and unbalanced source signals makes no difference at low frequencies. The issue is not the SPL of bass lines but their integration and complement to the frequency distribution. In the case of not so sensitive speakers the effect is even more tangible. IME, more bass from the change of a rectifier may bring a tradeoff in SQ at higher frequencies, usually masking transparency in the mid-range. I experimented that until I applied the filters. With the filters, these larger tubes coupled with low V-drop rectifiers do not mask any detail or transparency anymore.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 07-14-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:43 PM

I utterly get the filter thing, but I don't think my amp's output is imposed upon by low frequencies at least based on listening to it. My speakers have gained far more coherant mojo with the HO than with previous amps, including the mids and the upper frequency tone, and with the GZ34 it all seems simply clearer including the mids which were relatively clear already. I won't use unbalanced cable over a few feet as it doesn't work well at longer lengths (I've been a successful live concert sound engineer and professional live and studio musician for many decades, so balanced vs. unbalanced cable is one of the few things I know something about…few…very few), and the REL "high level" 100,000 ohm design seems like a great idea that's worked well for me for years. The HO is sending a fairly hot signal to the RELs from the speakers outputs and that's all HO generated, and it sounds great and effortless. But I get it...
Old 07-14-2017, 06:57 PM

Now that you have some new rectifiers consider a pair of the GK KT77's.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I utterly get the filter thing, but I don't think my amp's output is imposed upon by low frequencies at least based on listening to it. My speakers have gained far more coherant mojo with the HO than with previous amps, including the mids and the upper frequency tone, and with the GZ34 it all seems simply clearer including the mids which were relatively clear already. I won't use unbalanced cable over a few feet as it doesn't work well at longer lengths (I've been a successful live concert sound engineer and professional live and studio musician for many decades, so balanced vs. unbalanced cable is one of the few things I know something about…few…very few), and the REL "high level" 100,000 ohm design seems like a great idea that's worked well for me for years. The HO is sending a fairly hot signal to the RELs from the speakers outputs and that's all HO generated, and it sounds great and effortless. But I get it...
It is not an expensive fix. Just try it. You may be surprised. I know I was. Again, I don't think the XLR noise reduction is really significant on the subwoofer channel compared to your mains. My RCA SUB cables also run several feet, without any apparent interference.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 07-15-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:48 PM

Long runs of single ended cables seriously affect the signal and tend to load up their source…I use a micro amp to restore the sparkle to my electric guitars that's lost from cable loading. So "try it" I shall not. It's not a fix that I feel I need as I prefer to let the amp operate as designed, and it works extremely well without denying it its well earned low frequencies, which I'm afraid would risk hurting its feelings (no sad amps for me!). Not interested in buying long single ended cables, not interested in switching from the High Level REL inputs which many feel sound better (mine work very well), and at the level I listen I'm getting excellent, undistorted bass even when I test the sound without the subs, so I know the HO is doing fine. It seems happy.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:35 PM

My question was sidetracked so it remains unanswered: I seem to be experiencing more low end from the HO since switching to the GZ34, and I simply wondered if others had experienced that phenomena.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
My question was sidetracked so it remains unanswered: I seem to be experiencing more low end from the HO since switching to the GZ34, and I simply wondered if others had experienced that phenomena.
The GZ34 has a low voltage drop which would account for the change.