AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 07-04-2016, 08:50 PM

Default McIntosh Blue Meter Confession. Heresy?/ and JMAC'S Way to Illuminate a Listenig Room

Warning: Some may find the following disturbing...not to mention way off topic.

It says way off topic because it was to be at the end of my, just completed, response to the "McIntosh C1100...Do I need a contingency plan?" by JWJW.

I imagine this is McIntosh heresy, but I rarely turn on the meter lights in the 3 pieces that have them, even though this is the first generation of Mc equipment, I believe, that one can control them all via remote control. This was also unexpected. In my decades of wanting, but not having McIntosh gear, my head, like that of most fans, I suppose, was filled with visions of Blue Meters (and sugar plums? ) It turns out that, with the rack right next to the speakers the meters are soooo bright that I don't want them on when listening to music at night, not to mention when watching a movie. I mostly listen at night, but during the day it doesn't occur to me to turn them on, probably because I've had them for, I'd guess 6 years, & I'd be surprised if the meter lights have 6 hours on them. Actually, I'm sure they don't. I've turned them on and off many times, almost always to read the MC452 VU meters. Other times just to show people "what McIntosh is known for".

__"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" apparently not Winston Churchill
_

Last edited by JMAC; 07-06-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Remembering Dan

You never have the meters on? OMG

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop
Old 07-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Blown & Injected

I can dig it. I like the fact that you can do all of that remotely.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC View Post
Warning: Some may find the following disturbing...not to mention way off topic.

It says way off topic because it was to be at the end of my, just completed, response to the "McIntosh C1100...Do I need a contingency plan?" by JWJW.

I imagine this is McIntosh heresy, but I rarely turn on the meter lights in the 3 pieces that have them, even though this is the first generation of Mc equipment, I believe, that one can control them all via remote control. This was also unexpected. In my decades of wanting, but not having McIntosh gear, my head, like that of most fans, I suppose, was filled with visions of Blue Meters (and sugar plums? ) It turns out that, with the rack right next to the speakers the meters are soooo bright that I don't want them on when listening to music at night, not to mention when watching a movie. I mostly listen at night, but during the day it doesn't occur to me to turn them on, probably because I've had them for, I'd guess 6 years, & I'd be surprised if the meter lights have 6 hours on them. Actually, I'm sure they don't. I've turned them on and off many times, almost always to read the MC452 VU meters. Other times just to show people "what McIntosh is known for".
John.......Like you, I spend most of my time in the studio with the meter lights turned off on the C1000P and the MC2301 amps. I also keep the room lighting dimmed or turned off via remote control. Yes, the blue meters are great fun to look at and show off, and periodically I will turn them on to check the wattage I am using, but usually I have my meters turned off. I find they command too much attention when I just want to be adrift in music. I also turn off the meter lighting on my MC452 in the HT rack when I am watching movies. I only want to be focused on the screen, not the rack. Not surprisingly, I felt the same way after a period of time looking at the tube window on my C1000C/T preamplifier. Again, they are quite commanding in gaining your attention. I grew bored staring at the green LED lighted tubes.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 07-04-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:35 PM

When I owned my MC352 I use to keep meter off most of the time to save on bulbs life and avoid possible meter plastic (yellow) discoloration.
With C2300 and MC452 and Fiber Optic Light Diffusers and extra long life Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs), I keep meters on when I play music, roughly 5+ hours per day. Shutdown, turn off all my components otherwise.
My Esoteric K-01 display I shut down automatically after 15 minutes of no usage and I remove every CD after I'm finished playing. From what I understand K-01 incorporate bulbs and not led. K-01 does not have standby mode so I shut it down manually.
Would love to know if there is an advantage in keeping Esoteric k-01 always on and McIntosh component on standby when not in use ?

McIntosh C2300 Pre, MC452 Amp - Esoteric K-01X - JL e112 Subwoofer - Martin Logan Motion 60XT Speakers - SONOS Connect - W4S Remedy - IFI iPower9
Old 07-05-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
John.......Like you, I spend most of my time in the studio with the meter lights turned off on the C1000P and the MC2301 amps. I also keep the room lighting dimmed or turned off via remote control. Yes, the blue meters are great fun to look at and show off, and periodically I will turn them on to check the wattage I am using, but usually I have my meters turned off. I find they command too much attention when I just want to be adrift in music. I also turn off the meter lighting on my MC452 in the HT rack when I am watching movies...

Wow, Dan. I could have stated most of that! My feelings exactly. The only difference is that I don't have the tube equipment. (nor a studio). I do have a small fortune in 100 year old electric lamps that I always dim. There are 10 antique table lamps and one antique floor lamp in the living room with system. That is about half of the total lamps in that room that are dimmed. I just counted and the total of ~100 year old lamps in the house is 15. When I think about that, I could have used that $ to pay for one of the speakers, but they are a big part of the enjoyment of the room.

[EDIT: maybe I'll add a few pics tomorrow] MORE edit: I was thinking that these lamps probably aren't what anyone is imagining so I just googled "100 year old lamps" like anyone might and the result was mostly old-type bulbs. Surprisingly, typing "100 year old table lamps" yielded fewer bulbs but really nothing like any of my lamps !! You could have knocked me over with a "feather boa" as Kelly Bundy once said. Here are a couple of quick pics from a website- as close to mine as I could quickly find

Speaking of dimming, they are all incandescent bubs. 40 watt or in a few cases, like the bases that light up on some, 25. I tried a couple of dimmable LEDs, but as you may know, they stay the same sterile white color temperature as they dim. I always knew, of course, that incandescent bulbs became more yellow as they are dimmed, but I didn't appreciate how much until I tried the LEDs. It's not the same cozy ambience. I don't know if it's just CA, but you cant get 40,60, 75 or 100 watt incandescent 'blubs' here anymore, except for specialty ones like for stove or refrigerator or ceiling fans, etc. So I hoarded some.

if anyone is interested:

Here is a chart from Lutron that shows how much "juice" you save and more importantly to me, how much longer incandescents LAST as you dim them. I always use them dimmed 50% and down from there. There are also 7 other floor lamps that are not old, but have glass torchere style shades that look like alabaster and they are dimmed as well so there is plenty of low-level light everywhere when dimmed. That's not why I have so many, though. I just likem'.

DIM LAST

10% = 2x

25% = 4x

50% = 20x

75% = >20x

Being ~ 2 years older than McIntosh, I figure that having enough to change them out twice should be plenty, BUT, I noticed on "The Big A" (Amazon) that I could get a 48-pack of 40watt bulbs in regular Medium base from GE. They were something less than $1 ea. So I did it.
I read 2 or 3 months ago, I think, that somebody in the industry wants to do something about LEDs not dimming like incandescents in regard to color temperature.. I read it in some magazine that I actually held in my hands. Pop Sci or Pop Mech or maybe Wired. I'm glad I bought the bulbs, though, because I'm not 100% confident that I will like the result + that's a lot of LEDs to buy when I don't really need them. Plus, I've had at least 2 or 3 LEDs that didn't last as long as incandescents. Oh, one other thing. I don't think it matters to me in my application, but dimmable LEDs wink out at a certain point;They don't dim seemingly infinitly like incandescent. Out below 20% level according to the industry.

For those who might be interested, here is the Lutron chart regarding how much "electricity" is saved as incandescents are dimmed:
(apparently less efficient the more they are dimmed)

DIM SAVED

10% = 10%

25% = 20%

50% = 40%

75% = 60%

I've gone this far, I may as well comment on:

"I find they command too much attention when I just want to be adrift in music."

I get that.

This makes me think about the question of listening with eyes closed or not. I think the question has been asked on AA or somewhere that I read, but I'll say, if I may, that, although I don't do it quite 100% of the time, closing my eyes gives me a different sense of space (I guess that's the best way to put it) - immediatey. Strongest when the music was recorded/produced such that the soundfield extends laterally beyond the speakers, but noticeable if not. It's not a difference that is insignificant nor difficult for me to discern. I've always thought that, at least part of what is at work is that, first, nothing in my listening room 'looks' like what I'm listening to, what I'm hearing, and, because, secondly, my mind is processing/thinking about what my eyes are looking at on some level even though I'm not aware of that. Really, if asked what I was looking at I probably would eloquently respond with "huh?". I'm pretty sure that, even though the "word on the street" is (and I'm so 'street") that I might be from Mars, that anyone can hear this.

Apologies - I'm rambling. This is apparently a Stream of Conciousness Night. I wonder what time it is back on Mars...

__"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" apparently not Winston Churchill
_

Last edited by JMAC; 07-13-2016 at 03:10 AM. Reason: resize photos
Old 07-05-2016, 12:42 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC View Post
Wow, Dan. I could have stated most of that! My feelings exactly........

I've gone this far, I may as well comment on:

"I find they command too much attention when I just want to be adrift in music."

I get that.

This makes me think about the question of listening with eyes closed or not. I think the question has been asked on AA or somewhere that I read, but I'll say, if I may, that, although I don't do it quite 100% of the time, closing my eyes gives me a different sense of space (I guess that's the best way to put it) - immediatey. Strongest when the music was recorded/produced such that the soundfield extends laterally beyond the speakers, but noticeable if not. It's not a difference that is insignificant nor difficult for me to discern. I've always thought that, at least part of what is at work is that, first, nothing in my listening room 'looks' like what I'm listening to, what I'm hearing, and, because, secondly, my mind is processing/thinking about what my eyes are looking at on some level even though I'm not aware of that. Really, if asked what I was looking at I probably would eloquently respond with "huh?". I'm pretty sure that, even though the "word on the street" is (and I'm so 'street") that I might be from Mars, that anyone can hear this.

Apologies - I'm rambling. This is apparently a Stream of Conciousness Night. I wonder what time it is back on Mars...

John.......Interesting that you should mention a perception difference between what you are listening to with your eyes open or with your eyes closed. I have noticed something similar, especially when in the studio. It is a sealed room, ultra quiet with complete control of lighting and sound. I have noticed when I close my eyes and listen there is a different sense of space relationships. In other words, I block out the visual stimulation so that there is no mental distraction from sight. What happens in my mind's eye is a 3 dimensional fantasy that is developed from the auditory stream. I can usually maintain this state of mind for some time before one of two things happen, I either open my eyes or I fall asleep. What is unusual to my senses is when I open my eyes as the music continues to play I momentarily get the sensation of greater depth in the soundstage, not necessarily greater width, but most definitely a sense of greater depth. This seems to last for only 15 seconds or so before my visual acuity begins to capture my attention as I begin focusing on objects in the room. For those few seconds I see deeper into a performance before reality collapses my imagination. I don't know if any of this makes any sense but I experience it almost every time I listen with my eyes closed for a period of time, then open my eyes.

I am glad you triggered my thoughts on this phenomenon with your post because I have been meaning to comment about this sensation. I just hadn't gotten around to it before this evening.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 07-05-2016 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:13 AM

Wow Wow (double wow)
I just deleted a bunch of stuff because I realized that I could have described my experience exactly as you did, in part:
"What happens in my mind's eye is a 3 dimensional fantasy...I can usually maintain this state of mind for some time before one of two things happen, I either open my eyes or I fall asleep."

But, I think you might agree that it isn't literally a fantasy, but rather we are hearing what is actually there, just sans distraction. At least that's what I think. And when you say "...usually maintain this state of mind for some time... I can imagine that you always can because I can...unless I fall asleep. ..

But When I open my eyes, it's instantly over. Immediately starts and then immediately stops with open/close. This somehow makes me think that virtually anyone experiences this.

You have to be operating on a different plane than I. I envy you. I did some meditating ~40 years ago. I have been thinking lately about doing it again...might help ...

Oh, almost forgot. I think you're in Fl, so it must be after 1:00 am. I'll bet you are getting sleepy...sleeepy...

AND, if you're still awake, I made a little edit to my edit in the orig post and posted a couple of pics that are humongous If you can reduce them or delete them if necessary-great. In any case, I'll post something better tomorrow (well... actually later today in Florida)

_

Last edited by JMAC; 07-05-2016 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:15 AM

John,

I, too, am a member of that heretic's club. Mine are usually off except on those occasions that I want to treat myself to the full McIntosh "Experience".

Don't feel too bad. You are in good company!
Old 07-05-2016, 10:00 AM
Racing Hoopties

No heresy at all. They provided us with an off/on switch for a reason. I tend to leave my meters on about 80% of the time.

On the observations of listening with your eyes closed, I struggled for months trying to dial my room in so my speakers disappeared and the stage was defined and clear. If my eyes are open that is impossible. If I dim the lights in the front of the room and or close my eyes, the speakers and the room disappear and I am left with a feeling of being in open space with only the band in front of me. It is awesome.

With my eyes open, my brain cannot suspend what it sees.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack